Go 4k now or stick to 2k?

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by shoja, Jun 30, 2015.

1. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Hello everyone! So I'm starting to plan out my next pc build after a year of no pc. I'm wondering if I should go 4k or 2k with either 980ti or fury x. I am also wondering if it would be better to go ultra wide if I do go 4k (1440p)? Or not too many games get along with ultra wide? Let me know what you all think!

2. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I don't recommend going 4k unless you are planning on using SLI or Crossfire, unless you don't care that your frames never reach 60.

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    As said. 4k requires far too much hardware right now for a solid 60FPS (SLI/CFX). Best wait for GPU hardware to catchup to displays. Pascal should be a big leap forward.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  4. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    You should definitely consider Ultrawide, i own the 29" 2560x1080 version and i'm never going back.

But 29" is a bit small, so i'd recommend going 34" that has 3440x1440, i think 1080p version has horrible pixel density wich makes reading/browsing an horrible experience.

I haven't run into much troubles with Ultrawide, there are some programs out there that fix aspect ratio and resolution like Flawless Widescreen and Widescreen Fixer.

5. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Cool, so I'll stay away from 4k fr this build!

Ultra wide at 3440×1440, isn't that really close to 4k, and require sli/xfire build of 980ti/furyx? Or you think I can achieve good fps at that resolution?

6. Trenchdog73

Trenchdog73 Guest

GPU:
    2x 290x Tri-x
    I purchased the acer b286hk 28" monitor and have been extremely happy with the image quality and clarity of the monitor. 4k is definitely the future. That being said the Future isn't here yet in the terms of 4k for those of us with a budget lol. I run 2 290x trix in crossfire overclocked along with i7-4790 and games like witcher 3 look fantastic but Im definitely missing the frame rates. Games are playable but the constant feeling of missing frames really wears on you after a while. the lack of smooth game play takes away from the immersiveness of any game. Im currently shopping for a 144hz 2k monitor, Im leaning towards Acer XG270HU as its a good price for the performance but I have not reached a decision yet. That's just my 2 cents though, hope it helps.

7. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    Honestly i don't know if you need to go dual GPU for that resolution, i think a single 980 Ti or Fury X should be able to handle it.

8. Teawithgrief

Teawithgrief Guest

You dont need dual gpu for it.

Going 3440x1440 will be the best descision you`ll make in quite a while.
    I just suggest you wait a bit for the acer x34, yes it will be a couple hundred more than the standard 3440x1440`s, but it will come with a 100hz IPS and gsync.

Either way, you should get a 3440x1440, even if you cant wait a few months.

9. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    That defintely helped. Thank you! Seems like 3440x1440 is the sweet spot.

Ultrawide it is then.

I can wait a month or two for a decent ultrawide monitor.

10. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    New question(s). Anyone own a curved monitor by any chance? Does it add to the immersion while gaming, or it's a waste of money? Because as soon as I add the filter curved display for 3440x1440 monitors, the price goes up to 1k and above down from ~$700. Any suggestions?

11. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I don't own one yet but I've used a couple, they're absolutely outstanding. It really does add to the immersion, I know a couple of people who used to have triple monitor setups which wrapped around them -- they prefer their curved ultrawides. It makes it feel much more like you're in the game, rather than observing it on a screen.

I'd recommend popping into a local hardware shop and asking if there's any chance of seeing a demo of one.

12. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Unfortunately, my local hardware shops don't carry PC Master Race stuff, so I will have to rely on the online reviews and such lol.

I have been looking in to this monitor:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-34-In...d=1435781597&sr=8-1&keywords=3440x1440+curved

The price is not too bad, and according to the reviews it's perfect for gaming, and that's exactly what I want my entire PC built for. Thoughts?

13. BlackPanthaa

BlackPanthaa Guest

GPU:
    R9 295X2
    1440p is the better alternative in my mind. Not as huge a jump, but 1440p is fantastic for getting more done on your screen work wise (photoshop, video stuffs) but for gaming... not a massive jump at the same time. 4k would be crazy, but you would need a lot more horses in that PC.

14. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    In general terms, I would say no, due of lack of content and GPU power.

1440P 27" 120Hz IPS display would never be a bad purchase.

All of the above makes the assumption on what you are gonna be doing, being gaming and general web stuffs with the occasional movie thrown in for good measure.

IF, however, you are doing video editing and photographic work, then I'd recommend a 5K monitor as this will give you a nice border for the application panes when editing and tonnes of real estate for PS work.

Ultra wide is really interesting, but lacks high frame rates currently - definitely one to watch for future 2.3:1 monitors...

If all you want is 'wow' factor, then buy a 60" 4K teevee and plug in your PC to it.

/rubs hands together and cackles

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015