Kerbal Space Program

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Ralph, Dec 11, 2012.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Here are some things that I've done recently.

I like making Space Planes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  3. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Latest project

Eeloo base Unity

[​IMG]

Almost 500 tons, will send it out to Eeloo in 6 parts to be assembled in low Eeloo orbit before being sent down for landing on Eeloo.

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I am trying to capture an Asteroid with this.

[​IMG]

5. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Interesting design. A few things I noted from my asteroid capture. This is based on me capturing a large asteroid so may not apply to smaller asteroids.

Forward and reverse engines work well.

The engines need to be equi-spaced around the crafts centre of gravity, it allows you to more finally balance the delivery thrust to take in to account the weird COM that asteroids have.

Stability control is paramount, again because of the weird COM once the asteroid is attached.

Get as many grappels attached as you can, the grappels act like unsupported docking collars so one grappel at the centre of the vessel will cause the asteroid to sway back and forth around the centre of the grappel.

Solar panels can be a liability. Once you grappel a large asteroid you will be too close to the asteroid to allow the sun to get through to them. Either have large battery supplies or those nuclear generator things.

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Nice planes. I hate making stock planes though, the stock wing parts are abysmal. B9 makes it a lot more fun.

7. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    I finally reached my first asteroid.. I'm terrible with navigating space outside of earth orbit so even just getting there with MechJeb was an accomplishment for me. I did manually dock with it though once I got in range.. That stuff is easy. Nearly out of fuel.. Jebediah will die there but.. He made it! And I have to agree. dual clamps is a must.. With STS on this thing wobbles to self destruction. Two anchor points is a must.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  8. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Memorial service for Jebediah Kerbel will be held in the VAB at 09:00

9. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Project Unity is go.

The first part the main station module is launched

[​IMG]

On course out of the Kerbin system

[​IMG]

Shortly followed by the first of four habitation modules

[​IMG]

The first habitation module on a ballistic course out of Kerbin

[​IMG]

5 more launches to go; 3 additional habitation modules, 1 science module, and a launcher carrying at least 2 rovers.

Gonna be interesting navigating 7 separate modules out to Eeloo and even more interesting getting the whole thing re assembled in orbit.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Is there a mod that makes the camera in the VAB act like the camera in the space plane hanger?

the reason I hate making rockets is because of the camera controls in the VAB

-_-

11. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    How many of you running yours in Linux? I finally moved my install over to Linux a few weeks ago to finally escape the 32Bit memory limitations in the Windows client.

12. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Project Unity Update

Habitation Modules 2,3 and 4, Science Module and Rover Delivery Modules have all been launched and have all exited the Kerbel System.

[​IMG]

Now for the difficult bit, navigating 7 of these things in to a matching orbit around Eeloo.

13. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    [​IMG]

Me playing around with a pre-made B9 SSTO. Docked with my (soon to be) space station. Brought up a refueling barge and landed safely at KSC.

14. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    First segment of a Mun station in place..

[​IMG]

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I so cant wait for multiplayer in this game.... how fun will it be to make a space station in multiplayer...

Or using mods to make robots and having robot wars... or jet combat with custom made jets xD

16. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Project Unity Update:

Have just complete the final Hohmann transfer. All seven parts of Unity Base are now on intercept for Eeloo.

[​IMG]

Slightly worried about the amount of fuel remaining on the main core module. Didn't think anything of it during launch but I had to eject the third stage a tad early due to me making a mistake and igniting the upper engines early, which in turn destroyed the supports underneath this meant the third stage had to use more fuel to get me clear of the Kerbin system.

Anyway some random videos I took during the testing and launch phases

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5oXOgzxwRU&feature=youtu.be

Main Core launch stage 2 separation

http://youtu.be/bCvmus51e8M

Launcher test that went wrong

http://youtu.be/H9SiVHEGq-8

Launcher test that went right

17. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Project Unity Update:

I managed to get all the parts in to a stable Eeloo orbit a few days ago, as strange as it seems Eeloo has the most stuff orbiting it due to sending around 14 different missions to the planet prior to my Kerbelled (manned?) mission there. So I established an orbit of around 3,000,000m for all seven parts.

Today I managed to start reassembling Unity Base in orbit around Eeloo, have managed to link the Main Core and Science modules and have delivered the two Eeloo orbiters to there docking positions on the Base.

[​IMG]

Science module on approach to Unity Base

[​IMG]

Lining up the docking ports, ideal situation is to get the module attached so everything sits nice and aligned, i.e the tanks on the outer ring of the Science Module sit perfectly in line with out rigger structures on the Main Core.

[​IMG]

Science Module and Main Core linked, alignment was almost perfect, Unity base starts to take shape.

[​IMG]

Rover Delivery Module on approach to Unity Base.

Objective here was to stop the delivery module as close to Unity Base as possible and then fly the two rovers over individually.

[​IMG]

Both rovers docked, alignment on one of them is a tad off but it will do for now.

18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Purchased this game the other day, what a breath of fresh air!
    Its very good, enjoying it.
    I noticed that there are many mods out for it, notably Mechjab and B9 Aero.

Are these worth having? Ive heard that Mechjab is like cheating in the game because its so helpful, infact too helpful.

Anybody have any views on these mods before i go off and research them?
    Cheers

19. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    I don't think of Mechjeb as cheating. It is more of an onboard computer. There are a bunch who do all the crazy math and fly everything totally by hand. Too each their own.

There is a mod that is pure pure cheating though. Instantly puts things in any orbit, on any planet etc. There is also a dev mode built in that has cheats like unbreakable joints and unlimited fuel.

Just be careful of too many mods.. It's easy on Windows to exceed the 32Bit memory limitations. I run the Linux version to avoid that since it has a 64Bit version.. Just have to apply a couple segfaults in terminal.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Ok thanks for the tips, somebody on another forum said that using mechjab is like using an aimbot in an fps shooter. Scott manley even said that he uses it and he don't care what people say, ill take alook, thanks again.