Good Camera for $500-700

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by shoja, Jun 1, 2013.

1. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    You can indeed just put the camera in auto mode and use it like a P&S, but with the options there should you ever decide to learn how to use them.

The basic DSLRs do not have too many options, and they make it quite easy to understand what the options do as well as offering creative filters, many auto modes and the like for the more casual shooter.

Again, I would recommend the SL1 (but really only if she has small hands, otherwise look at the 550D-650D, depending on budget and price). Why? Because they have nice features, have many lens options available, and I prefer Canon's interface and ergonomics over the other brands'. I can't recommend anything Nikon because I don't use them and don't know their stuff well (I find their menu system clunky and their interface unintuitive). Of your list, I would recommend the Pentax k30 if she has no plans to get serious about photography, because again, if she does get serious, her future options may be limited if she stays with Pentax. Then I'd recommend the NEX-6, then the NEX-5R, then I'd go for an Olympus EP series, and only then the Panasonic with the viewfinder (I don't like Panasonic cameras because the name "Panasonic" should not be on camera equipment IMO.)

I'm recommending DSLRs over the mirrorless options because of AF and ISO. DSLRs are usually better at both of those things.

2. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  3. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    You should also get her that book I mentioned, it is very helpful for beginners. And cheap too.

Let us know what she thinks about the SL1 when she gets it (or if she already has it)!

4. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Which book? I must have missed it.

5. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
  6. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
  7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Have you decided on a specific model yet?

8. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Yeah. Sirrith helped me with that. Going with Canon SL1.

9. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    I actually bought that book as a present for some friends, I also flicked through it before handing it over to them :p

10. xfactor

xfactor Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radion 7700 1gb
    There are many used options. However I wouldn't buy a camera on features. CCD or CMOS imager is more important. I've own a few small frame camera but will not buy one again. CCD or CMOS imager fade fast. About 10000 actuations. Older camera don't. I used a Nikon full frame camera D4 and keep a d90 in my car. D90 and D80 are well worth the money. It a lifetime usage.

11. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    Wut? haha

10K actuations? are you serious?

12. xfactor

xfactor Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radion 7700 1gb
    Yes..
    Most CCD/CMOS are cheep. Made in China. Now at days Small Frame is intended for amateurs. We got tired of buying cameras every few months and bought Full Frame. CCD/CMOS fade, it is a well known problem with photographers.

13. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    First I've heard of it after spending 3 years on the biggest photography forum on the net. :rolleyes:

14. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    Hahaha. Thank god most people have sense to not believe bull like that.

Keep on trolling man.

15. steelsix

steelsix Member

GPU:
    780Ti Classified
    good stuff

16. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I have a multiuse 8megapixel $30 camera that takes better pictures then my $200 Kodak camera.:bang:
    hell my lg phone takes better pictures then the kodak

wish I could afford a DSLR camera.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  17. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    Mirrorless camera are cheap, and pretty much the same thing as entry level dslr's.
    Smaller bodies and lenses as well, so it's great for carrying around.

Hell, the Sony RX100ii is probably the best pocketable camera on the market right now. but yeah, a bit expensive at 700~

18. mckeonkent

mckeonkent Guest

GPU:
    ATI 8750/4GB
    Being an amateur photographer I love this Canon EOS Rebel T3i with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Zoom Lens & EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens + 11pc Bundle 16GB Deluxe Accessory Kit it's about $629.95 & FREE Shipping on Amazon [​IMG] http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Q79BIA

Its very self explanatory and easy to use. One thing that sets this camera apart from a lot of others is the adjustable viewing screen. We use it a lot for either very low shots or trying to hold the camera high above our heads (like over the top of a crowd). its's really nice to hold this thing above your head with the screen tilted down so you can adjust to get the perfect shot. This was the best price for the equipment so definitely worth it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  19. jamespen

jamespen Guest

GPU:
    4GB
    Great advice.

20. mariay

mariay Guest

GPU:
    2GB
    I did my research and shopped around. I looked at flyers and asked what other people thought of Canon. For what is offered, it is the best price I could find. Know the slight differences in Canon EOS Rebel T3 and T3i though. T3i is slightly more expensive related to higher MP (18), a swivel screen, a sensor telling you when to clean your lense and other differences. I have the T3 and am extremely content with it. GREAT pictures and easy to use...I would recommend reading the book and experimenting. It then becomes easier still.