NVIDIA compatibility bits master thread and IQ guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by GuruKnight, Sep 9, 2014.

1. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    I don't think this has been posted since it is not on the list. Not a huge game, at least here in the states, but I still have fun with it.

World of Warships: 0x404012C1 works for SGSSAA+MSAA and looks good. 2x is still a bit rough but OK and 4x with SMAA is smooth. 8x looks nice. I have tried other AA methods but SGSSAA+MSAA is the only combination which has worked for me. This might also work with WoT or WoWP but I have not tested.

The performance hit is huge (8x is unplayable for me) but the game leaves few options for AA due to its comically outdated engine. I think down-sampling looks better, but the UI shrinks (the game has no GUI scaling options) leaving these AA bits as my preferred option.

The only issue I have witnessed is with skyboxes. There is an outline of a cube which follows you around every 3rd or 4th battle, usually it disappears after the first few minutes. It doesn't always happen and seems kinda random since I can't link it to any particular map, ship or weather type.

This is from the player havaduck on the EU forums, here is the thread link: http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/20445-sli-workaround/page__pid__516088#entry516088

2. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Thank you very much for this :)
    I also found another post from the 3DCenter AA thread confirming your findings:
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10692844&postcount=6326

The master list spreadsheet should now be fully updated with various SGSSAA, HBAO+ and SLI additions.
    I also had another look at the Windows 7 & 10 Gaming Tips document, and made a few general improvements on the occasion of the Windows 10 "Anniversary" update.

But as always, please feel free to still point out any bugs, issues or other shortcomings.

3. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
  4. jiminycricket

jiminycricket Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Can you change the color scheme of the changelog back to what it was? Small bright green text on black background is a huge eyesore.

5. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Sure, no problem :)
    I was just experimenting with a new look, but guess I went a bit overboard.

Anyway, back to normal with the changelog.

6. pedigrew

pedigrew Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI Lightning
    Discovered a very important tweak for Silent Hill Homecoming, Shader Cache must be set to "Off" otherwise you can experience atrocious loading times.

7. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Thank you very much for this information :)
    I have now added it under the "Essential tweaks" category in the spreadsheet, with your post linked as "Tweak guide" reference.

"Shader Cache" can sometimes be problematic in certain older, single threaded games.
    But even in some recent games like SOMA (OpenGL) it is best left disabled due to stuttering.
    In fact, the NVIDIA driver automatically sets "Shader Cache" and "Threaded optimization" to "Off" in the SOMA driver profile the first time you start the game after installing/reinstalling a driver.
    This is even without GeForce Experience installed, so NVIDIA update isn't involved either :infinity:

8. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  9. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Just want to say thanks GuruKnight for all your work, I follow your posts sometimes on 3DCenter as well (though reading between the German there is hard!)

Funny that you should post about hidden values like 0x00A06746 as I was hoping to ask you and the gang at 3Dcenter for assistance (I'm not registered there). I'm sure the results would be appreciated there too.

TL;DR:

Edit: this is all using the Fallout 4 flag, which works fine at standard res.

I'm fortunate enough to have a copy of Skyrim SE (I'm a modder). Finally, time to crank up Skyrim with DSR on my new 980Tis. Except... it stutters badly. This isn't due to the cards not handling it however -- using Nvidia Inspector Bus usage is through the roof, averaging 50%.

Now... set 0x00A06746 to a value like 20, and 4x DSR (which on my system is 5120x3200, approx 50% more pixels than '4k') and Skyrim SE even at this large res is buttery smooth, 60fps constant without breaking a sweat -- and lo and behold, Bus usage is down to 3% -- about where it is normally for any other game I've ever tested. Clearly, heavy bus usage is causing the FPS slowdowns.

This would all be golden except there's an issue of what looks like SSAO flickering going on rapidly. Disabling Skyrim's SSAO and Screenspace (just as a start) improves this a little, but doesn't eliminate it. I doubt it's actually related to these, but more something in the lighting system. Unfortunately, it's distracting enough to be unplayable.

It's strange to me that a particular function that's enabled by default in the game (again something related to the lighting, it seems) causes immense bus bandwidth (likely happens with single-card too, though haven't tested) and in turn kills performance at higher resolutions.

Note TAA is disabled in all these tests too, so it's not related to TAA bandwidth.

SO -- I wonder if there's a flag or flags that in the 'advanced SLI bits' area that can improve on the performance and reduce bus usage without affecting the graphics (in the sense that 0x00A06746 set to 20 is clearly getting in the way of some lighting rendering at the moment).

I'm sure the combined knowledge of those with more experience in this area may be able to offer a solution or find one faster than my random experimenting with numbers has done so far, if you and the team at 3DCenter are interested.

Anyway, thanks again for all your work.

Mart

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  10. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I updated the SLI guide mentioned above, it now also includes certain "general" advice on normal SLI bits in DX9 and DX11 modes.

In regards to Skyrim: Special Edition, this isn't even out yet for the general public so I can't test it on my end.
    But I do remember, that Fallout 4 ingame SSAO also has some general issues whereas HBAO+ doesn't (even with the special 0x00A06746 = 0x00000020 value enabled).
    It also affects single GPU, as far as I remember.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016

11. skiddierow

skiddierow Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SLI
    In Fallout 4 with special bits, there's severe stutter, and scene is not rendered correct in Far Harbor.

12. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I'm sorry, but I'm not getting any stuttering with the "Unknown" SLI bit enabled in Fallout 4 with native 4K + TAA + G-Sync.
    Which resolution are you testing this at?
    At lower resolutions you might be CPU limited, and pushing the SLI scaling could increase stuttering in such cases.
    And I don't own the Far Harbor DLC, so the custom profile was just tested with the original game.

13. skiddierow

skiddierow Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SLI
    Only happens in far harbor, scaling is good in base game areas. I'm using 25x14 gsync.

14. whismerhill

whismerhill Guest

GPU:
    RTX2070 8GB
    Hi, I know it's an old game now, but I replayed TDU2 recently. I'm not an SGSSAA expert either but the 0x00001005 antialiasing bit is not present in the selectable list as a setting in nvidia inspector 1.9.7.7
    Nevermind that, I just input it as a number : it didn't work at all, with ingame AA disabled
    here's an example screenshot with angle chosen to show aliasing on the car itself.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=793823510
    Next, I tried 0x000100C5 (Gears of War, The Last Remnant(Benchmark), Turning Point: Fall of Liberty, Medal of Honor: Airborne, Stranglehold, Unreal Tournament III, The Last Remnant)
    and it seems to work much better (in game AA still disabled)
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=793823551
    Either way it seems to me like the original writing of 0x00001005 was wrong, mistaken or a simple typing error.

The fog is bugged out by that setting though, any ideas ?
    EDIT: 0x000100C1 (DC Universe Online)
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=793835355
    seems to restore the fog & allow SGSSAA to occur

EDIT2: a subtle line issue appears in some unknown conditions for now

sidenotes: I'm using a custom launcher & unofficial patch & tdu2 autopack car addon, which changes nothing related to AA & the graphic engine. (just specifying in case someone complains about it being written TDU2 OFFLINE instead of regular game name)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  15. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    @whismerhill:

Could you please post a screenshot of your full NVIDIA Inspector profile for Test Drive Unlimited 2?

16. whismerhill

whismerhill Guest

GPU:
    RTX2070 8GB
    sure,
    I'm still trying to get rid of the lines though, so I'm not sure my setting is any good : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=794612491
    look below tires. I'm not sure if it's the UI who's doing that maybe...
    edit: it's barely seen during normal play, also SGSSAA has the advantage over traditional in game 8X AA that it reduces the long distance road shimmering & road texture aliasing.

and also I got the same results with less bits : ended up with 0x00000040
    (sorry I'm kind of a newb, just discovered the bit tester :p)

and I'm unhappy with my Ambiant Occlusion tries so far, which is why it's on 0
    and I reduced my SGSSAA from 8x to 4x, since 8x was somewhat taxing for my gfx card (about 35~40 fps)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    is that enough ? (all my changes stop at 5 anyway)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  17. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    @GuruKnight did u play fifa 17? how come NVCP can't detect the game?

18. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    @whismerhill

"Anti-Aliasing Mode" should always be set to "Override any application setting" when forcing any type of driver AA with custom DX9 AA profiles.
    Have a look at the reference post linked in my spreadsheet for the game:
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=8579673&postcount=525

Please retry "0x00001005" for SGSSAA with these settings.
    Also "0x00000023" is in the spreadsheet under "DX8 and DX9 HBAO+" for the game:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4955333&postcount=1171

Please examine the spreadsheet and the examples fully and read the reference links, that is why they are there :)

@khanmein

I haven't played a FIFA game in years honestly.
    But I think NVIDIA just hasn't created a driver profile for the game for some reason.
    You could do this yourself by using the various functions in the NVIDIA Profile Inspector menu:

[​IMG]

The above "overview" image can also be found under the "How to customize the driver profiles" section in the OP.

19. whismerhill

whismerhill Guest

GPU:
    RTX2070 8GB
    ho that's a mistake on my part, I was trying something new, nothing to do with my results they were all on "override" before...

edit: I was just trying to see if enhance could fix the UI lines, then forgot I had set it to that.

and yeah I know about 0x00000023, it just see no difference on my side, however it's kind of difficult to tell since the time of day & weather changes each TDU2 restart

edit2: so yes I confirm all previous results were done like it should with "override" and that yes 0x00001005 does apply zero AA and is aliased like hell over here.

20. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    @GuruKnight guess what, we need GFE to be installed then only i can detect the actual FIFA 17 & Mighty No. 9

titan quest ae & mpc as usual not detectable.