Reduce Mouse Lag vs. Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cure_We_us, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Cure_We_us

Cure_We_us Guest

GPU:
    16GB
    Are these two the same? If not, can they coexist with each other? Such as reduce mouse lag is enabled with maximum pre-rendered frames set to 1.

I forgot to mention, some games offers an option to reduce mouse lag.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    "Reduce mouse lag" is an effect of something. "Maximum pre-rendered frames" is something very specific.

Lowering MPRF is one way to reduce mouse lag. But there are other ways too, so a "reduce mouse lag" setting in a game does not necessarily mean that it has anything to do with MPRF. For example, the setting could instead introduce a delay before reading input for the next frame (when V-Sync is enabled), or it might simply switch from triple buffering to double buffering, or something else entirely.

You can set MPRF to 1 globally, even if a game offers a "reduce mouse lag" setting.

3. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Reduce Mouse Lag is something like Raw Mouse Input and/or processing mouse data in the other thread, not in the main thread.

So yup, it is difference.

4. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Best do it on a game-specific basis as some games that are heavier on CPU will slow frames being sent to the GPU with a MPRF of 1. With MPRF on 1, the GPU expects every next frame the CPU makes to be sent to it instead of waiting 2 or 3 frames.

So a good topic would be performance vs mouse lag

5. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    V-Sync Off
    Maximum Pre-rendered frames = 1
    Mouse acceleration disabled(From Control Panel and also use the MarkC fix because somes games turn it on automatically even if you've disabled it from Control Panel).

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I recommend the oposite. Globally set to 1, and only do a game-specific change for games were you get stutter.

Btw, an MPRF of 1 doesn't mean the GPU expects the next frame as the CPU finishes it. It means a buffer size of 1, which in turn means there's 1 frame buffered while the current one is being prepared. When the current one is still being prepared but the GPU asks for another frame, the one that is stored in the buffer is sent and the CPU continues preparing the current one.

What you describe would need an MPFR of 0 (no buffer at all). Sounds like a bad idea and I guess it's why NVidia removed that possibility.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  7. pjokerxp

pjokerxp Banned

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB
    so am in windows 8.1 and nvidia inspector seems buggy, i cant change the value

[​IMG]

8. Guy.J.

Guy.J. Guest

GPU:
    GTX 560
    I could be wrong but I don't think MPRF does anything when V-Sync is off. I think pre rendered frames are a way to make sure the CPU doesn't idle when v-sync is on and the app is CPU bound. With V-sync off there's no need to pre-render anything.

9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Why would you need Inspector for that? The setting is in the NVidia Control Panel, in the 3D Settings.

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    --delete me--

11. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Looks like you are missing the CustomSettingNames file. Re-extract it again and keep everything in the archive in the same folder.