Weird sata problem!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Amigafan35, Feb 14, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Amigafan35

Amigafan35 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080TI FE
    Hi,

Been having weird sata issues for well over a year but only when using the microsoft standard ahci driver, using the nvidia sata driver cures the problem but as I'm planning on getting an ssd in the near future I really need to sort out what's going on with this microsoft ahci driver as I understand that's the driver of choice when using an ssd drive.

The issue I'm getting is that when ejecting a sata hd from my external docking station, or when ejecting a disc from either of my dvd writers, the sata light on my tower case stays solid on for about 5 minutes, during this time the drive in question that ejected the disc is unavailable in windows & if I try putting an hd into my docking station windows doesn't pick it up. After about 5 minutes the sata light goes out on the case and everythings back to normal! It appears that for some reason it's taking 5 minutes or so just to hotplug the hd, in relation to my external docking station, or to eject a disc from the drive, even though the drive ejects the disc straight away, I've come to that conclusion as I use a program called `usbsafelyremove` and I notice that once the sata light on the tower goes out up pops a message telling me that `the media has been ejected`.

This is happening randomly, I did a test with the dvd drives and inserted/ejected a disc multiple times and after about the 10th time the sata light stuck on, I really don't know what's going on or why using the nvidia sata driver stops it from happening! I suppose the sata controller could be flaky on the motherboard, but then I'd have thought it would be happening no matter which driver I use.

2. Shadowjump

Shadowjump Guest

GPU:
    7970 XFire Watercooled
    Did you try many drives in the hotplug?