Using other mobo's sound drivers?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by SpecChum, Oct 24, 2014.

1. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    I've got an MSI Gaming 5 mobo that comes with a Realtek ALC1150 chip and Sound Blaster Cinema II software, however the Gigabyte Gaming 5 mobo has the same ALC1150 but comes with Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 software, which looks like it could be better, Sniper function etc

Reckon it'd work? Is the Sound Blaster a pure software solution, or is there a custom chip on each mobo?

I know I could just try, but I'm at work at the mo at just wanted to make sure no one has tried it and created a black-hole that ate their living room. Or something.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Both the Sound Blaster Cinema II and Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 are strictly software solutions. Neither have their own accompanying hardware. The Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 software can be purchased directly from Creative, whereas the Sound Blaster Cinema II software is only sold to OEMs. Since the pieces of software are licensed to MSI and Gigabyte, they're likely bound to the motherboards. Of course, trying to use either piece of software will either work....or it won't. Either way, it won't be detrimental to the system. Neither is actually going to make a crap audio chip magically sound better either.

3. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    I think the ALC1150 sounds half decent on this mobo to be fair. I'm comparing it to a Xonar DX using Ultimate Ears 6000 headphones.

The Xonar is a little warmer, but you're not missing a lot of detail, if any really, using the MSI onboard solution. Plus, the MSI has dual headphone amps whereas the the Xonar doesn't have any.

All-in-all, whilst I'm not an "audiophile" so to speak, sound quality is important to me and I don't find the ALC1150 too shabby at all.

Sure the Xonar has a higher SNR, but you'd need equipment much better than mine to notice.

4. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    Well, home now so tried it.

Installs fine but I get a "No supported hardware found" message :(

Any ideas? It's obviously doing some form of ID check.

5. epguy19

epguy19 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Xpress 200 - 128Mb
    well SpecChum that is expected behavior of OEM edition of Soundblaster X-FI MB3 as it only integrates & works with FEW select onboard Realtek audio chips AND the Realtek HD audio driver was installed only through the HDXMB3H.inf file.

If you really want the Soundblaster X-FI MB3 software to work on your board, you may have to buy the retail version, which includes X-FI MB3 drivers that make the software work on any audio device. The OEM versions of X-FI MB3 don't include the X-FI MB3 drivers and support & integrate with very few onboard audio devices.