Constant Registry Query & Buffer Overflow

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Drexir, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Drexir

Drexir Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 4GB
    I have a EVGA GTX 680 4GB on Windows 8.1 (64bit). I had been using EVGA Precision X for overclocking until I decided to try Afterburner. This was back during the late 3.X beta's. Currently I'm using v4.0.0 Final. Had the same problem with the previous 3.X beta's I was using.

I'm basically like a paranoid type and like to analyze the programs I use. However I think I've run into a bug and possibly something that's eating a lot more CPU cycles (who cares about that any more? lol). It asks the NVIDIA API to get it's information. Then enters Kernal Mode to query the registry for the device and drivers information. While this is normal. To query a value of unknown size and to be told it's too large.

The problem is it does this entire process every 0.3ms from the programs start to ending. Now with that said I don't know that much about programming and operating systems. But querying the same information over and over again within a time span of 0.3ms seems a bit excessive. Changing the hardware polling interval doesn't seem to change it. Changing low level hardware access interface to kernal mode doesn't change it and completely turning it off doesn't seem to change it.

Here is a small snapshot I took of it:

[​IMG]

Like I said I don't know much about this stuff. But it's obvious it's a bit excessive. If I had a question it would be is their something wrongly configured in the program or something wrong with my setup? Or is this normal? If normal why does it need to constantly query at that rate and changing the polling rate doesn't seem to change the rate at which it queries.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

That's a normal pattern of NVAPI usage.