Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Operating Systems
Operating Systems Is Windows 8.1 giving you a hard time ? Wanna try out Windows 10 ?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old
  (#126)
Blackfyre
Maha Guru
 
Blackfyre's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
Processor: 4790K @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.220v
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming GT
Memory: 16Gb @2400Mhz 11-13-13-30
Soundcard: SoundBlaster Z + AD900X
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W G2
Default Yesterday, 12:29 | posts: 862 | Location: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
Thanks, yea same ISO just different mirror

What will WDDM2.2 offer over 2.1?
I remember on my HD7970 with AMD there was big improvements gained when the jump to WDDM 2 drivers happened.The lowest frame-rates increased, stuttering decreased, API Overhead improvements.

I don't know what to expect from nVidia and my GTX 1070, or if there will be any improvements or not. But I am hoping they have a fix for the DPC latency issue that has plagued me since day one of getting this card (posted about it up a few posts ago).
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#127)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru
 
Extraordinary's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX980 SC ACX2.0 4GB
Processor: FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz / H100i
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory: 12GB 2133 G.Skill
Soundcard: Creative SB1040 7.1
PSU: Corsair RM1000
Default Yesterday, 12:42 | posts: 17,024 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfyre View Post
I remember on my HD7970 with AMD there was big improvements gained when the jump to WDDM 2 drivers happened.The lowest frame-rates increased, stuttering decreased, API Overhead improvements.

I don't know what to expect from nVidia and my GTX 1070, or if there will be any improvements or not. But I am hoping they have a fix for the DPC latency issue that has plagued me since day one of getting this card (posted about it up a few posts ago).
Have you reinstalled Windows 10 since getting the card?

Read a few posts from people saying that sorted latency issues for them, others saying their only solution was to return to 7/8.x, but that was early on when 10 first released

EDIT - Playing AI I get this result, and I do get clicks and pops when audio plays, particularly system sounds, but only since installing my soundcard, with onboard I never got it

But just sitting on the desktop I don't get any problems at all, everything stays in the green

Either way, other than the clicks, I don't notice any issues with anything else

 Click to show spoiler


Last edited by Extraordinary; Yesterday at 13:42.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#128)
Blackfyre
Maha Guru
 
Blackfyre's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
Processor: 4790K @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.220v
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming GT
Memory: 16Gb @2400Mhz 11-13-13-30
Soundcard: SoundBlaster Z + AD900X
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W G2
Default Yesterday, 13:42 | posts: 862 | Location: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
Have you reinstalled Windows 10 since getting the card?

Read a few posts from people saying that sorted latency issues for them, others saying their only solution was to return to 7/8.x, but that was early on when 10 first released
Twice I formatted, once before the Anniversary update got released (Redstone 1), and then after the update got released too. Clean fresh install.

The only thing I did not try was returning to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1

But if after Redstone 2 the same issue remain, then I will consider formatting immediately to Windows 7 just to test it.

EDIT:

Didn't see your edit, but I fixed all latency issues outside of the nVidia driver by doing the below (run in Command Prompt Admin Mode):

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1015

AND the MSI Mode Utility I think I got from that thread somewhere too. Changing the Soundcard to it. I think this is it:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hrxw4r...i/MSI_util.zip

Last edited by Blackfyre; Yesterday at 13:50.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#129)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru
 
Extraordinary's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX980 SC ACX2.0 4GB
Processor: FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz / H100i
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory: 12GB 2133 G.Skill
Soundcard: Creative SB1040 7.1
PSU: Corsair RM1000
Default Yesterday, 13:42 | posts: 17,024 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfyre View Post
Twice I formatted, once before the Anniversary update got released (Redstone 1), and then after the update got released too. Clean fresh install.

The only thing I did not try was returning to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1

But if after Redstone 2 the same issue remain, then I will consider formatting immediately to Windows 7 just to test it.
Just edited my post above
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#130)
Blackfyre
Maha Guru
 
Blackfyre's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
Processor: 4790K @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.220v
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming GT
Memory: 16Gb @2400Mhz 11-13-13-30
Soundcard: SoundBlaster Z + AD900X
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W G2
Default Yesterday, 13:47 | posts: 862 | Location: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
Just edited my post above
Haha me too

EDIT:

You should try both methods I added in the edit above and report back. Since you don't have a pascal card, it'll probably fix all your latency issues.

Last edited by Blackfyre; Yesterday at 13:51.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#131)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru
 
Extraordinary's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX980 SC ACX2.0 4GB
Processor: FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz / H100i
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory: 12GB 2133 G.Skill
Soundcard: Creative SB1040 7.1
PSU: Corsair RM1000
Default Yesterday, 17:31 | posts: 17,024 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfyre View Post
Haha me too

EDIT:

You should try both methods I added in the edit above and report back. Since you don't have a pascal card, it'll probably fix all your latency issues.
Thanks yea I`ll have a look, got called out on an emergency "Got no network connection" PC repair job just there

No idea what had happened, static worked for a while then failed, static set to xxx.xxx.xxx.5 but network status and router showed xxx.xxx.xxx.189

In the end I reluctantly clicked Win 10's network reset button and it surprisingly fixed it
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#132)
Blackfyre
Maha Guru
 
Blackfyre's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
Processor: 4790K @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.220v
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming GT
Memory: 16Gb @2400Mhz 11-13-13-30
Soundcard: SoundBlaster Z + AD900X
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W G2
Default Yesterday, 21:16 | posts: 862 | Location: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post

In the end I reluctantly clicked Win 10's network reset button and it surprisingly fixed it
Surprisingly is the key word here, I'm actually surprised that fixed the issue.

   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#133)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru
 
Extraordinary's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX980 SC ACX2.0 4GB
Processor: FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz / H100i
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory: 12GB 2133 G.Skill
Soundcard: Creative SB1040 7.1
PSU: Corsair RM1000
Default Yesterday, 21:30 | posts: 17,024 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfyre View Post
Surprisingly is the key word here, I'm actually surprised that fixed the issue.


lol yea, and considering I manually ran netsh winsock reset commands, and when I hit the reset button, CMD opened with a netsh command running.... lol

Got a laptop to fix with me here now, clean installed this new RS2 build, all drivers installed fine, non would start, a load of ! in device manager, couldn't get a single piece of hardware to start other than graphics

Finally gave up, decided to try RS1, every single driver except one installed and started on first boot, the last driver I found myself and now have 100% working drivers/devices

RS2 = No drivers working other than graphics
RS1 = All drivers working fine

Not a good sign
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#134)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru
 
tsunami231's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 660gtx sig2
Processor: i7 6700k NH-D14
Mainboard: Asrock z170 Extreme 4
Memory: Corsair LPX 2400mhz 16gb
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Antec HCG 750m
Default Yesterday, 23:52 | posts: 6,994 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
lol yea, and considering I manually ran netsh winsock reset commands, and when I hit the reset button, CMD opened with a netsh command running.... lol

Got a laptop to fix with me here now, clean installed this new RS2 build, all drivers installed fine, non would start, a load of ! in device manager, couldn't get a single piece of hardware to start other than graphics

Finally gave up, decided to try RS1, every single driver except one installed and started on first boot, the last driver I found myself and now have 100% working drivers/devices

RS2 = No drivers working other than graphics
RS1 = All drivers working fine

Not a good sign
guinea pigs title for all!
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#135)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru
 
Extraordinary's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX980 SC ACX2.0 4GB
Processor: FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz / H100i
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory: 12GB 2133 G.Skill
Soundcard: Creative SB1040 7.1
PSU: Corsair RM1000
Default Today, 00:08 | posts: 17,024 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami231 View Post
guinea pigs title for all!
 Click to show spoiler



Well, fixing stuuuuupid computers has made me tired, I'm off to bed
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#136)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru
 
tsunami231's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 660gtx sig2
Processor: i7 6700k NH-D14
Mainboard: Asrock z170 Extreme 4
Memory: Corsair LPX 2400mhz 16gb
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Antec HCG 750m
Default Today, 00:46 | posts: 6,994 | Location: USA

they looking at the laptop and say wtf cant we just pee on it.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#137)
Titan29
Master Guru
 
Titan29's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI Gaming 1060
Processor: i7-3930K C1 @3.2|NH-D14
Mainboard: Asus P9X79 Pro 4608
Memory: Ripjaws X 32GB 1600MHz
Soundcard: Realtek | Z-5500
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default Today, 03:19 | posts: 282 | Location: Canada

Can one do a clean install using the iso? Also, what tool can be used to make a bootable USB?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#138)
Guru01
Member Guru
 
Videocard: ASUS ROG STRIX 1070 OC
Processor: i7 2700K @4.5GHz H100i V2
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-G45
Memory: Team Xtreem 8GB 2133MHz
Soundcard: Razer ManO'War 7.1 HS
PSU: Corsair AX860
Default Today, 04:35 | posts: 62

Does anybody know if they fixed the installation on a raid configured system? Last time it had issues installing, not sure maybe build number 15002. Maybe give a shot myself to see if it will install on a formatted raid configuration tonight.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#139)
joe187
Master Guru
 
Videocard: MSI 1050Ti 4G OC
Processor: Sandy 2600k @ 4.4+HT
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
Memory: EVGA DDR3-2133-16gb
Soundcard: ALC898 Onboard
PSU: EVGA-500B
Default Today, 07:16 | posts: 394 | Location: next to my old clunky PC

15063: Start Menu is somewhat broken. Once i try to start customizing it, remove the default tiles and adding my own programs to it, it starts freaking out, and just will not get to how i need it. Did a clean re-install just to see if maybe something went wrong on the 1st install. But no, same thing. Oh well, other things i found annoying but can be worked around, but the start problem is just too much for now. Back on 1607, hope it gets fixed eventually cause otherwise the OS worked fine.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#140)
mbk1969
Ancient Guru
 
mbk1969's Avatar
 
Videocard: GeForce GTX 970
Processor: I7-4930
Mainboard: Asus p9x79
Memory: G Skill RipjawZ, 16GB
Soundcard: Onboard + FiiO E17
PSU: 1000 W
Default Today, 08:57 | posts: 3,233 | Location: Moscow, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
EDIT - Playing AI I get this result, and I do get clicks and pops when audio plays, particularly system sounds, but only since installing my soundcard, with onboard I never got it

But just sitting on the desktop I don't get any problems at all, everything stays in the green

Either way, other than the clicks, I don't notice any issues with anything else

 Click to show spoiler
That ISR time is big. I assume you did not install Intel RST drivers or (AMD SATA ones). Probably your rig has several devices along with SATA controller on the same shared IRQ.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#141)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru
 
Extraordinary's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX980 SC ACX2.0 4GB
Processor: FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz / H100i
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory: 12GB 2133 G.Skill
Soundcard: Creative SB1040 7.1
PSU: Corsair RM1000
Default Today, 10:43 | posts: 17,024 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbk1969 View Post
That ISR time is big. I assume you did not install Intel RST drivers or (AMD SATA ones). Probably your rig has several devices along with SATA controller on the same shared IRQ.
Nothing Intel in this machine other than LAN, and I did have AMD SATA drivers installed a while back but it prevented the Kingston SSD software from communicating with the SSD, had to go back to the MS drivers

Could try again, but I'm not noticing any issues other than the click/pop sound which only started with the installation of the soundcard

 Click to show spoiler



EDIT - Won't update anyway, says it is running the latest drivers (2006 MS drivers)

Last edited by Extraordinary; Today at 10:53.
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.