Do you watch TV?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Phragmeister, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    KU Basketball, otherwise it's netflix/amazon.

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Not really, only time I sit down to watch TV is to watch sports and maybe 5 films a year, if that. I do have it on in the background though when going to sleep.

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

People don't get cable subscriptions etc now because it makes more sense to them to get video-on-demand services, in that they watch what they want to watch rather than watching some of the utter crud that I've heard is on those channels as fillers. That said, they also have some decent non-mainstream or even overly popular shows, but you have to know where to find them. For me, I only know of those because I don't have it... and therefore access becomes available to the good stuff that is only worth to be made available :)... cough lol.

The only issue with video on demand, aka streaming, is that the services are still a paid subscription, and many of the shows are going to a pay per episode model. This is good in a sense, as long as the quality of the show meets the expectations of the people paying. So far, they have, but there will come a time when there will be some really crappy shows that people pay for then regret doing so, which could jeopardise them paying for shows which are actually good to avoid risking expenditure on crap. There's also the risk, and likely outcome of such things, that after it becomes common the cost per show and the subscription will creep up in price.

CBS are doing the sensible thing with the new Star Trek series in that it will be free for everyone for the first episode, and if you want to watch more you have to pay for it on their online service. In some ways this will also help overcome some of the negativity associated with them stopping quality fan productions of Star Trek that they back tracked on. The quality of those had been getting better to the point where they were in some ways, commerical quality. I think they should have allowed Axanar for example, on the proviso that they could show it on the on demand service as an annexe to the existing story universe.

Netflix, Amazon, and others will likely end up having the first episode of a show acting as an advert for a series, seeing as on demand services disallows for traditional advertising means. We're at the beginning of a transition stage at the moment, the same applies for online purchases. If you only buy online, you will only likely buy your core products. Product sales in stores to readily rely on in store advertising, even to the point of shelf position, and impulse buying of the consumer wanting to try something new.

I do watch TV, but I think the best way to view it is to view in context and entertainment value. Reality shows aren't meant to be reality, they're there for pure entertainment. You shouldn't confuse reality shows, such as Race Around the World, I'm a Celebrity, The Block, My Kitchen Rules, etc with fake shows such as Real Housewives muck etc. Reality shows are competition based around entertainment for the audience using 'real' people, whereas 'real life' genre picks the worst of the worst, or fakest of the fakest, or most of the time scripted/semi scripted stuff about people playing a fake version of themselves because they like the attention, that people who are lacking something in their life, and let's face it, if they weren't lacking something in their life they wouldn't be watching it, watch and 'care' about what happens to these faux 'actors'.

I would say watching TV isn't a problem, just watch something you like. There are plenty of shows that aren't pretending to be anything but pure entertainment, and they're usually the better shows out there.

Those 'real life' tv shows, think of movies that say 'based on a true story', how many of those are actually any good despite very much relying on artistic licence to make them more interesting?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2017
  4. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    A bit; I tell TV licensing that it's one of those flat screen microwaves.

5. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    There's so much choice of shows now it's unbelievable coming from a time when had 3 channels that's when I watched TV but now it's worldwide tv

6. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Haven’t a TV subscription, or watched TV for more than 15 years I think (turning 34 this year). I do have a TV, but it is permanently hooked up to my PC (and consoles) and used primarily for gaming. I do watch movies or TV shows from time to time via services like Netflix and HBO GO, or snooker championships via the Eurosport player. I do have an aerial antenna in case of emergency broadcasts or if I want to depress myself with the news..

7. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I watch Seinfeld reruns and NFL Football during the season. Otherwise, I don't need it.

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I practically never watch regular TV (except for the news in the morning while having breakfast), though I do use a lot of streaming services and sometimes watch BluRays, I also use my TV for gaming sometimes. It would feel very weird to sell it since it wouldn't be comfortable sitting in my computer chair watching series or stuff like that, half of the fun while watching TV is to lay comfortably in the sofa. I'm 36 years old if it matters.

9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    There's only a few shows I watch now. The quality of TV shows is garbage compared to what it used to be. And it seems like as soon as a show becomes somewhat popular they split it into a ton of spinoffs. I can't even count how many versions of CSI and Law and Order there are. And I have 4 channels that play almost nothing but those shows.

Actually the person who gets the most out of my cable subscription is my dog. I leave the TV on for her when I leave the house. Other than that, it's mostly Netflix or steaming my movie collection with Kodi for me.

10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    If I do, it's stuff I find on Netflix or Hulu. I don't pay for TV(parents gave me their Netflix and Hulu passwords AKA I took them), I just pay for MLB at bat every year.

11. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    I watch my dvr with a 30 sec ff and a 10 sec back to eliminate commercials. Two hours in the evening of recorded shows, one hour of news.

12. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Ouch. Indians fan? Cubbies deserved this. You guys will get there shortly. You have an amazing, young team.

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    wrong thread

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  14. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Not much, sometimes i watch cartoons and science documentaries.

15. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Yes but not like i used to before when watching tv-channles.
    Now everything goes over chromecast; plex server for movies/tv-shows, streaming services for documentaries and youtube etc for everything else.
    Can be weeks between i power up my satellite receiver. Can't stand commercials.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017

16. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    Only netflix or youtube, i mostly stream from my desktop to the TV.