fury crossfire misery

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by G13Homi, Feb 19, 2017.

1. G13Homi

G13Homi Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    after getting the fury x for xmas I bought my self a nice 4k monitor. I was quite happy with the solid 60 fps at medium settings. last month I found a fury nitro on amazon new for 254.00 plus a 30 dollar mail in. so I did it, and now I'm kicking myself. I score 18306 in firestrike which is fine.
    My problem is I just cant seem top get BF1 to work properly, I cannot play anything above low settings. I get no more than 30 -40 fps in an empty server. I have tried multiple settings in crimson , I have tried multiple driver versions same results. If i disable crossfire, I'm back to normal , I swapped cards to see if maybe the nitro was defective but it works just fine in single card config. what am I missing?
    both card are reading x16 in the bus, cpu-z says my memory is at 2400.
    I am using an Ivy-bridge i7 4820k, clocked at 4.1.
    please any and all help is appreciated. and if all else fails I will be selling a nitro for cheap cheap in the eastern US.
    *** I now have a EVGA 1300w psu so no power issues either.

2. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    sounds like driver issues. Crossfire has had alot of issues of late. Alot of people have gone one card cause of this.

3. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    This exactly- What a shame too I miss the days of multi-gpu kicking ass, My last one was a Radeon 6970 crossfire set-up Granted not as fast as yours is but was hella-fast for back in its day. I plan on doing it again tough to be honest possibly Gtx 1080 sli still not sure.

4. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    Well maybe with vega amd will get it back together and start producing awesome crossfire drivers to help out in alot of games. Crossfire used to be kick ass but not so much anymore.

5. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Yes lets blame AMD for alot of games not working with Xfire in the last year./NOT :stewpid:

You do realize with DX12, the devs have to enable multigpu.

6. G13Homi

G13Homi Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I'm definitely not blaming any driver or manufacturer, as far as I can see everything is working as it should. DX12 and crossfire just dooes not exist. I get zero response from my 2nd card in dx12
    (oops didn't see the response above)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  7. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Once again, it's up to the game dev to implement mgpu in their DX12 titles.

8. Tronman

Tronman Guest

GPU:
    XFX 295x2
    Check you haven't accidentally changed the internal resolution slider in BF1.. been ages since I played it but I vaguely remember default being 50% or something?

Also check the renderaheadlimit command in the console in BF1. Rendering too many frames ahead can bottleneck your cards.

9. G13Homi

G13Homi Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    i got that thx, i have been tinkering for several hours in BF1 today. i have found that the in game refresh rate was 1 issue, i set it to 120hz ( even though my monitor is 60) and post process i set to medium. these 2 seem to be the most taxing on my system. I'm too tired to carry on today, but I'm on vacation all week so i will report back.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Guys, every single time someone posts with an issue regarding a SINGLE game with CrossFire when that issue often (if not always) ends up being solved, someone who does not even have multi-GPU has to chime in and act all smart and wise ringing the death knells of multi-GPU?

Let everyone be. This is getting ridiculous. It's almost become a meme.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    SLI/CF today is either for poor people or very rich as we are in transition period.

Poor will buy two quite weaker cards and in games where it works they may see Top GPU performance at 1/2 of the cost. If it does not work, well at least it did not cost a hand.

And rich people would not particularly care that one of their GPU is underused in few games as everyone around will have same issue.

@G13Homi: You got yourself into a trap with that nice price. So, at least it is not that expensive experience. There are great many games where it works. And there will be more in time. Hell, AMD released multi-GPU SDK stuff long time ago for DX12.

I am lucky, I can live with 1080p as long as it guarantees high refresh rate. Can't wait for some other brand than BenQ to make 240Hz monitor.

For you with 4k, if you need a little extra performance you may try "HiAlgo Boost". It decreases internal rendered resolution but allows you to keep overlays at full resolution.
    Basically, you kick game at 2160p, menus and HUD will be 2160p rendered, but polygons will rendered at 50/60/70/80/90% of 2160p.
    - controls on this app are bit clunky, but configuration file can be reloaded without need to restart game
    - main thing which affects usefulness is ability to pick between auto mode(sucks)/manual mode (OK)... but on 4k even auto mode may be fine
    - I use it mainly on table to gain few extra needed fps

12. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500

I agree with the above posted.My 1st build consisted of 2 x Radeon 6570 crossfire I had no idea what I was doing (1st build and all) what do you consider rich lol?

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Rich is relative term. But in extremity of its relevant cash space it means: "I can throw it away, can't care less."
    So, for GPUs, it is to get few top-end GPUs, and if it does not work, then it does not. No feeling of great loss.
    Did your GPU catch flame as direct result of your action? Poor person will try to RMA, Rich will accept his mistake and gets new one.

Same goes for people who drop their expensive cellphones. If I broke my SGS6e, it is my mistake.
    I have seen people who broke $100 cellphone by dropping it and tried to RMA.
    - - - -
    I am definitely not "cash rich", but at least I am "morale/mind rich". And it would be great world if everyone would be at least morale or mind rich.
    People would not be all about anger and frustration when something unexpected happens. They would be about: "Wow, did it just happen? OK, I'll do better next time. Let's clean this mess."

14. G13Homi

G13Homi Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    wow, I'm amazed at all these responses. first I just want to thank you great folks here at Guru3d forums.

I think I have it all sorted out, at least on my end for BF1, because I had my pci ssd in pcie slot 2 and I had my sound card in slot 4, I was only x8 on the pcie bus lanes. so I placed the sound card into the appropriate slot just below my ssd the pci 2.0x1 slot, this along with mainly lowering post process in game has me up and running where I want to be.
    my surmise is 2 fury in crossfire just will not max out everything on my system. and a few lessons could always be learned here. more isn't always better.