Android VR Video App?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Neo Cyrus, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Now that my junk VR headset is arriving tomorrow I've been looking in VR apps and the video players are all so bare bones! They have basically no options, not even a repeat option which I want.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Now for whatever reason Google Cardboard just straight up crashes whenever it has permission to access storage. WTF? I've tried cleaning it's cache/data, reinstalling it, nothing gets it running except not granting it access to storage which means I can't play videos. It wasn't like this the first time I ran it. This is all pretty infuriating.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Have a look at things like TrinusVR too
    https://www.trinusvirtualreality.com/

For streaming PC games > Android in VR

IIRC TriDef might be needed too

RiftCat is another one I used with my Galaxy before getting the Gear

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Thanks a lot for the links, I'll check it out.

So my headset arrived and man what a disaster. First of all the tracking is listed as shipped to the completely wrong city with a similar name, but it did arrive in my mailbox, whatever.

So the product itself... it arrived defective:
    - Random scratches as if it's used.
    - The lid will not close, it does not clasp shut, zero quality control.
    - I later saw the inside side of the lenses are scratched (WTF!?).
    - The remote/controller is a useless piece of crap and you have to do a song and dance to even get it working
    - It doesn't have its own software as I knew, I the best I found is called VR Theatre and that's a pain in the ass to control since it's not custom made for the remote/controller

So I contact Amazon to get a refund and they said since it's a 3rd party seller who's stock they sell they can only give an instant refund if it's credit instead of back to my credit card, whatever, I took that, and now I'm looking for a new headset to order.

Edit:

I forgot to mention, I did tape the thing shut to get it working to at least try out VR and see how it is.

- You can very clearly see the subpixels on a diamond pentile display, even at "1440p". Honestly it's tolerable, but barely, pentile 1440p is the bare minimum, anything lower would be intolerable.
    - Straps are sharp and hurt my ears.
    - Doesn't adjust well for my eyes, I have to set it to the most extreme settings to have an okay view but it's still not perfectly crisp.
    - Weighs a ****ing ton, it's like having a brick strapped to my face.

If you have any suggestions for a headset to order I'm all ears. Hopefully one with lenses at least large as this one can be found (42mm).
    Yes I tried wiping that. I've wiped my entire phone clean and nothing changed. The moment I allow access to my phone's storage it just crashes.

The only things that have changed since that started are:
    - I wiped junk ad files off my phone with a program.
    - I made a .nomedia file on my SD card folder to test that functionality and reinserted my SD card. But it crashes even if I have my SD card removed.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Sorry to hear that, yea I didn't have much luck with those 3rd parties either, you know, you will be getting the Nougat update eventually, so it might make sense to get the Daydream headset, find a way to disable the software that activates when you connect it (GearVR can do this with a package disabler, root will definitely be able to) and use a quality Daydream headset as a dumb one until you get the update

That way you're all set for the update, and you're not wasting money on poor replicas

Probably what I would do, I'll bet there's tutorials somewhere online on how to get it working with cardboard apps

Wonder if the ad removing did something to cardboard, it is a google app after all, might rely on some ad service running - if it's not a PITA to set back up and root, might be an idea to factory reset if you can't reverse your changes manually

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    When I said I wiped it completely that included what was essentially a factory reset from the recovery.

I did consider buying a Daydream View and MacGyvering it into working until the Nougat update arrives in later 2017 (seriously, **** ZTE)... but then I found out that the Daydream View holds down the power button on the Axon 7 so it won't even work without the Nougate update with Daydream software to disable the power button while it's in VR mode. That's horrible. That makes me not even want to buy one even if I had Nougat now.

Now I'm just looking through Amazon trying to pick out the most expensive non-Samsung headset with good reviews to order and they're all trash. They're mostly sub $50 and a lot of them I won't consider since they have garbage headphones built-in which don't appear removable. I have DT-990s, and the Axon 7 is one of the few phones with an amp powerful enough to drive it, I don't want to use dollar store headphones.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ah damn yea I forgot about the power button thing - wonder if it would be worth your effort getting the original GearVR headset and removing the USB port so the phone just fit in the headset

Looks like it would come out with a couple of screws

Few pics

http://i.imgur.com/9oi1gol.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2zcbK9t.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/I4U4TTn.jpg

It has a little wheel on the top of the headset to move the lenses closer or further from your face for focus, which would work without the sensors

EDIT -

received a Samsung VR headset through the Note 7 promotion. The axon fits and works just fine but it's not quite as snug\secure as the Galaxy phones. The Google cardboard apps work but the occulus stuff is Samsung exclusive. If you already have the VR headset it's worth using. I would not pay $100 for the Samsung VR headset to use with non-samsung phones. There are many that do the same thing for much much cheaper

https://www.reddit.com/r/Axon7/comments/594ycu/does_this_fit_into_the_gear_vr/