Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Ghosty, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Downloaded the demo off the PSN store. I wasn't expected to like it but from what I played it was fun. I haven't played a good Final Fantasy game since number 9.

2. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Ill be getting this one for my 360 so i can finish the damn story line. I am curious as to how they will end it. (that is if this one is the last one in the trilogy of FF13)

3. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I didn't completed FFXIII. I remember the Odin battle being one of the hardest battles ever, and that was only a few hours in. I stopped playing before the open world part kicked in, got bored of it. Is the story a continuation of XIII?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  4. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Yeah, and a continuation of 13-2.

I read the ending for 13 to play 13-2, then got bored halfway through again.

Hopefully this is a bit seperate.

5. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Ah yeah the ODIN battle was annoying but it wasnt that hard i think. I got it right on 3rd try if i recall. Come to think of it all the summon battles had a special characteristics on them and they were hard to beat.

6. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I still find it a little but confusing playing a FF game that has real time battles, I really miss the turn based battles.

7. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Me too.

8. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Well it is sort of mixed to be honest. You are queuing the commands for the characters based on turn. So its a semi turn based. xD

9. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Combat is definitely interesting in this one. Too bad the demo is just a boss fight really.

Can do it over and over to compete for high scores.

Anyway the full release should be good enough to warrant a purchase. The Final Fantasy games to me are like the Lord of the Rings to other folk.

I grew up with the stories playing them as well as reading the dialogue. So for me I have to play all the main releases of Final Fantasy at least once.

While I do agree that I miss the classic turn based FF's, I find myself able to adapt to the new style okay.

I would love to see a new FF explore a refined classic Turn Based style though.

FF7 remake???? Please???

Yes this will be the final chapter in FFXIII, unless they release some DLC to FFXIII: LR, which is likely. I doubt it will be anything super big though, maybe some timed trial stuff.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Does anyone know why Square Enix, and other developers changed from turn based battles in favour of real time ones?

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Probably because it worked so well for Kingdom Hearts that they felt it easier to use it for all their other ips as it required less effort than coming up with real strategies, like in entries pre FFX.

I cant stand the real time combat system, give me FF7/8 and materia system any day over this crap. Though i do like it in Kingdom Hearts, just suits the light heartedness of the game, I expect more from FF though.

Also would like sequel to Last Remnant.

Imo, the last real FF was 10, cant comment on the online FF doing the rounds in the screenshot thread, never played it. Actually 12 had a very proper FF style setting and story, just a shame on the combat.

12. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    After catching up on the story of 13 2 and reading a bit more about this I have been tempted enough to get it from Zavvi, pretty cheap, £29.

Cba actually completing 13 2 though.

13. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I was searching for turn based RPG's on the PS3, but I've yet to find any that have been released in the last year or so. They are all real time combat, which is a real shame. Also the fact that 13.2 is on a timer, is kind of putting me off a little. The whole point of the FF games was the exploration, finding the secrets and getting rare magic spells. This all appears to be gone now.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  14. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    This. It was a rewarding experience to find a spell that was really hard to find. Not to mention the hidden secrets of the game as well

15. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    The greatest one ever was the Doomsday spell. Calling down a meteor from space. Can't get much better than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CchEXwR9apU

16. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Cancelled my pre-order. Some of the reviews are less than positive. :(

17. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    My Friend bought it and he said that is not much of an improvement over 13-2. Which is not saying much since 13-2 below average. I am personally going to wait until price drops or sales on the game.

In the mean time i started playing Star Ocean The Last Hope again and i have forgotten how enjoyable the game is.

18. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I grabed this awhile ago, but havent had a chance to play further than when you reach that
    island/beach and crash-land there
    , but did enjoy what i played of it.

As for FF, the future of this franchise looks bleak at best, i wish the Japanese would stop westernizing everything just to please simpletons.

19. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    is this same mechanics with XIII-2 ? just new story?

20. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Nah, gameplay is quite different, have a go at the demo or see a youtube.

Continues the story though, but set 500 years after 13 2.