RivaTuner overclocking reacts to launch of Azureus

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by skabais, Jun 25, 2007.

1. skabais

skabais Member

GPU:
    Inno3D 8800 GTS 320Mb
    Hi!
    Im posting my correspondence from Azureus forum because I didnt find any solution so far.

GUI rendered in 3D? (New)
    By: skabais (skabais) - 2007-06-24 11:18
    hi!

This seems strange to me - please correct if im mistaken.
    As soon as I launch Azures - fan speed of my graphics card increases and becomes louder (and opposite when I quit the app.) - it acts as if a 3D application would have been launched.

This of course greatly annoys me. A bit louder fan while playing games doesnt matter, but its no good while im just working on some Word document or browsing Net.

Is there any fix for this? I didnt see anything relevant in settings?

I like the app. - been using it for years and wouldnt like to switch to other bittorrent client?

p.s. actually the fan speed is a secondary problem to automatic overclock.
    I have configured RivaTuner to run my Gphics card to run underclocked in 2D mode and overclocked in 3D mode.
    If I dont have Azureus launched than it behaves properly - in 2D its running 500/700 hz and as soon as I open any 3D app it overclocks to 633/1022.
    However the problem is that it overclocks also as soon as I launch Azureus - no matter maximised or minimised to tray.

RE: GUI rendered in 3D? (New)
    By: Rautamiekka (rautamiekka) - 2007-06-24 22:03
    (offtopic answer) My 6600GT's fan is very loud when fan speed is over 97% but at 97% and under it's quiet but temps does not change so try to make the fan quiet by changing all fan speed adjust-things from 100% to 99% and so on until the fan is quiet, but don't go under 90% no matter what

By: skabais (skabais) - 2007-06-24 23:26
    I have taken care of fan speeds (noise).
    Again, in the same RivaTuner it is possible to set auto adjustment of fanspeeds depending on Gphics card core temperature.
    I have set my speeds following:
    <60 C = 60% fanspeed
    >60 C & <70 C = 80 % fanspeed
    >70 C = 100% fanspeed

As I said in my second post - fanspeeds (and noise) actually are a secondary issue, although its very annoying.
    Im more concerned about the issue that Azureus makes my Gphics card to auto overclock to 3D speeds.
    Meaning that, instead of when its supposed to run underclocked while in 2D mode, its running overclocked core and memory speeds.
    Im worried that its not very good for the lifespan of my graphics card due to the constand overclock and haighthened temperatures.
    That shouldnt happen in 2D at all (quite the contrary) and isnt happening either, unless I launch Azureus.

By: Aaron Grunthal (the8472) - 2007-06-25 00:02
    well, it might be due to the opengl-libs included in SWT (azureus' GUI lib), maybe your gfx card goes into 3D mode as soon as something like that is loaded, despite the fact it's not being used.

Maybe you can add azureus to some kind of exclusion list for the 3D-overclocking thingy​

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

You're misunderstanding basic thing: RivaTuner is NOT performing 2D/3D clock frequency changes itself. That is internal ForceWare's process and it will switch the clocks even if you close RT. So it is a bit incorrect to tell about adding any exception list to RT. It doesn't control that process all.

Tre only workaround for you is creating a profile with _downclocked_ 3D clocks and associating it with this application via launcher. It will make clock switch (which will still take place from the driver's side) "invisible".

3. skabais

skabais Member

GPU:
    Inno3D 8800 GTS 320Mb
    hmm im no power user - so maybe im doing something wrong, but this doesnt seem to work..

I created a regular item through launcher. checked two components: 1) associated overclocking profile; 2) Associated application.

For overclocking profile I added the same 2D profile which is supposed to run (500/700).

For application I added custom application C:\Program Files\Azureus\Azureus.exe.

however, as soon as I launch Azureus - HW monitoring utility indicates that clocks jump to 633/1022.

p.s. could it be that RT functions incorrectly? im using it with unsupported driver version (2.01 + 158.xx).

4. Unwinder

1) You should create a profile with 3D clocks downclocked to 2D.
    2) You should start that application with RT's launcher.

I repeat once again that 3D detection and clock change is done by ForceWare. So it is plain stupid to tell that RT functions incorrectly. That process is NOT controlled by it!

5. skabais

skabais Member

GPU:
    Inno3D 8800 GTS 320Mb
    My profiles are not gone anywhere!
    I have set up RT according to boogieman's guides: boths clocks and fan.
    I have two profiles 2D (500/700) and 3D (633/1022).
    On top of that I added launcher item which I described in my last post (I associated Azureus with 2D profile).

I did do that.

What I meant is that HW monitoring tool is giving incorrect readings maybe due to unsupported driver?

6. Unwinder

You're misunderstanding me. Create a profile with all clocks (2D, low-power 3D and 3D) set to the same (2D) values. Applying such profile will make driver's 2D/3D clock frequency changes invisible because 2D and 3D clocks are set to the same values. Is it clear?

No. Hardware monitor is called "low-level" not just for fun. Clocks are retreived directly from hardware and they don't depend on driver at all. You're just misunderstanding the process.

7. skabais

skabais Member

GPU:
    Inno3D 8800 GTS 320Mb
    Thank you for your help.
    I created underclocked profile for Azureus in all modes and it works fine.

However it doesnt solve my problem entirely. :(

Now (with Azureus launched) clocks remain fixed also when I launch any real 3D application.

Apparantly Azureus RT profile overrules other two RT profiles (2D&3D).

The idea was to find a solution which would cancel "abnormal" overclock with Azures launched while keeping overclock when any real 3D application is launched.

P.s. but ok I can live with it. ;) with this solution I have to apply 3D overclock profile manually before launching 3D apps and reapply 2D underclock when I quit 3d apps.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  8. Unwinder

There is "Restore settings after terminating application" option in the launcher, which is aimed to restore anny settings made by the profiles associated with application when it closes.

9. skabais

skabais Member

GPU:
    Inno3D 8800 GTS 320Mb
    yes I know about that option.
    the thing is that I dont wanna terminate the application.
    I need it to be running all the time while my PC is turned on (also during geming).
    so this setting is no use in this case.

10. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    dont use azureus, use utorrent

11. Unwinder

Then forget about using the driver's 2D/3D clock separation features. They are system wide, not application wide.
    You'll either need to create profiles for _any_ 3D application or program your own driver independent 2D/3D clock frequency switching scheme via "Hardware accelaration" graph.

12. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    I second that.
    uTorrent is much better, especially if you plan on running it in the background while gaming. Azureus sucks too much resources because it's written in Java which slows down your gaming.
    Also, due to a lot of leech mods of Azureus (Shu mod and other crap like that) that have appeared lately, a lot of the seeders have started to ban all Azureus clients on sight.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  13. skabais

skabais Member

GPU:
    Inno3D 8800 GTS 320Mb
    ok thank you for advice.
    Ill give it a try. :)

14. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Why don't you run the fan at 100% all the time anyway?

15. niclights

niclights Active Member

Because it is stupidly noisey?

A solution to this might be to use the auto settings in RT instead & modify the values to suit although this can be quite confusing. I've done this and allow the fan to max-out at 90% giving a ceiling of 74C under constant overclocked load @ 1280x1024.

Having said that, just as with the 2D/3D thing, if you're looking to run a game at the same time anyway it's all rather irrelevant. That or use uTorrent - it is better option!

16. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    the fan on my gtx at 100% isn't very loud.

17. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Good for you.:rolleyes:

18. skabais

skabais Member

GPU:
    Inno3D 8800 GTS 320Mb
    hey guys! :)
    thanks for great advice! ^^
    a utorrent indeed uses much less resources - only 7,6 megs instead of 30megs (azureus).
    on top of that my problem is gone! ^^ no more inappropriate autooverclocking! now it works like its supposed - it overclocks only when a 3d app is launched.

thanks a lot to all for the input! :)