7700K OC'in time - voltages?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by AvengerUK, Jan 7, 2017.

1. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    Evening all!

So I've got a 7700K married with a Strix 270H Gaming - and decided to test the overclocking with my chip.

Wasn't expecting much, as I never win the Silicon lottery - and this time is no different. Chip seems to have the 4.8 wall sadly. (didn't got past 1.35 though).

I'm currently testing with 4.8 @ 1.290v manual in aida64 stability

(Havn't changed anything other than vcore)

As per usual HWMonitor reports it pulls CPU VCORE 1.312v during this, VID 1.36 with max temperatures of around 82 (it hovers around 79 most of the time).

Are these values safe / should I Tweak anything, assuming AIDA passes anyway ;)

2. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    Given up for the night!

4.8 with a manual voltage of 1.3 works and stable, although couldn't get offset/adaptive to behave sadly (they'd always go a way beyond this).

Still a bit confused about the VID, but CPU-ID puts the vcore at 1.32 during this.

Tempreatures during stressing are around 84 now - I'm not sure what the max during stressing should be, but this is using a predator 240

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  4. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Just ordered a i7 7700K and Asrock Extreme 4 for Our Family PC..Both are arriving on Wednesday..

Hoping I can get a good sample..Wishing 5ghz..I still remember my old 2600K that can 5ghz..:)

5. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    for Our Family PC

Yeah! Go on.... Your PC :)

6. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    It's very hit & miss.

Firstly, and you already know this - the TIM isn't great. A delid + reapply would make a huge difference if you can't stand the heat.

Secondly, I was only able to update the MB bios yesterday, as Asus took years to update the support site - this bios helped stability no end.

I'm currently running @ 4.8 - manual volts at 1.3 (reports as 1.31-1.32)
    With memory @ 3000 (set this manually, not XMP) - which seems stable (not had the time to do a full burn yet).

Temps are "ok" (going back to the TIM issue!) - temps avg about 78 under stress. If I was to re-do the TIM, this is said to make a drastic difference but I don't have the "effort within me" currently to do it.

To get my chip to 5.0 I have to go 1.37-8 or so, which I'm not going to run 24/7 or longer than a few minutes tbh

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
  8. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Lol-I use the same excuse (family) when its really for me. haha.Congrats on the upgrade Btw and enjoy.:)

9. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Bought Kaby lake for me to play with and will be put on Our Family PC..Family PC which my Relatives and Guests can use..

Won't be using Kaby Lake on my PC because I use Broadwell-E that is stated under my Avatar..

10. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    Thanks for that.

That table pretty much ties up exactly what I'm seeing - meaning Auto is likely putting LLC to Level 8 - as the voltage changes are the same.

While I'd like to use Adaptive, the voltage range's far over the max set hence why I'm not using it.

I think If I'm to tweak some more - going from that, I'd first make sure I can't tweak into 4.9 or 5 (I suspect not without going majorly over 1.3) - then, I would look at using Adaptive and lowering the LLC settings to keep as close to 1.3/1.31 max as possible - as I'm guessing it'll be the LLC auto'ing to 8 etc that is causing that.

I'll go away and mess around with the LLC a bit, see if I can keep stable at a lower LLC (Probably LLC level 6 or level 7 looking at it) - but also give adaptive another shot, although that went over 1.35 during stressing.

11. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    Sod it, I've ordered a Rockit 88 de-lid kit.

I'll do some tweaking before that and see what the best stable OC I can get - and then I'll post pre and post de-lid temperatures.

12. Goutan

Goutan Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    My 7700k is arriving in a few hours. After reading a lot about high temperatures, I'm really tempted to order a delidding kit. Even if I could hit 5ghz stable, I feel like the processor is just going to end up failing in a couple years.

im looking forward to seeing your post delidding results!

13. EAK

EAK Master Guru

GPU:
    ZT-P10800H-10P
    i got my 7700K stable at 4.8GHZ...Idle is 29C, Max Loaded with OCCT has been 53C.

14. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    What's your voltages / overclock settings out of interest?

Is it de-lidded?

53 is very impressive

----

De-lid kit is in the mail. Probably take a week or two as it's from the US

15. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    Tried a few more tweaks, etc - Not going to do anymore now until the kit comes.

I have come to the conclusion that my 7700k is towards the worst end of the scale, a bit of a pig!

5Ghz is a no no - it may boot under alot of volts (1.38-1.4 at least) - but he is also a hot bugger.

Currently sticking to 4.8 - not modified the cache (as that caused instability) - LLC is now at level 6 - (Level 5 might be OK) - and 1.3v Manual - which under P95 is about 1.312 and BLK set to 100.01 - as this keeps it closer to 100 then 100 does (due to variance)

Generally speaking, avg temperature is around 77 - although one core likes to hit 85 before dropping back to 80 - again, the TIM replacement will help no end.

16. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Mine had arrived yesterday..With just applying XMP for my 2666 Avexir ram, it is set to 4.5ghz @1.18v..

Able to test stable @ 4.8ghz with 1.24v with LLC 1..But it's freaking HOT!! I'm getting 79-83 temps..I Guess that the 2 year old Antec AIO 920 Cooler is the limiting factor..

Hope I can push it to 5.0ghz when I replaced it with a decent cooler..

Mobo and CPU:

[​IMG]

17. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    At least it isn't just me toasting the CPU.

4.8 with 1.24 is good, you should be able to hit 5 with that. 1.3 for me @ 4.8 :(

18. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U

Hopefully I can hit 5.0ghz when I change the cooler next week..

19. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    With a voltage of 1.24 @ 4.8, I'd bet 99% you will easily :)

Really hoping my delidding adventure helps with my temps etc!

20. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    What cooler are you getting?

delid will help a lot with your temps, people are seeing upto 25c reduction in temps.