Maximus VIII Hero q-codes 14, 15, 99

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by TheF34RChannel, Jan 2, 2016.

1. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    Here we go again: Was playing FO4 when the system suddenly shut down and went into a reboot loop again, same as before. Only code 15 this time (pre-memory system agent initialization is started). Reseated and tested all RAM and slots, cleared CMOS. Got code 14 then (pre-memory CPU initialization started). Checked CPU and socket; all okay. Removed and reseated mobo and tightened the screws a bit more than before*. Booted just fine.

*my crazy theory; maybe the mobo screws weren't tightened enough causing the whole thing to sag just enough to short it, causing the problem?

Any ideas what might have caused it, and what I can do if it happens next? I'm not feeling really comfortable now that it might happen again.

Edit 1: Well it was fine in Windows, loaded a save game and boom there it goes again. Thoroughly p***ed off now! I've never had PC issues before and now it's something off and on with a single system I cannot reply on.

Edit 2: Could only get it working after taking out the entire mobo again but this time I replaced the screws for ones with a slightly wider head for more grip. Then I got code 99 with no display. Had to revert to my old DVI display, enter BIOS after another CMOS reset and save and exit to get my new 144Hz DisplayPort monitor working again. I've been at it for hours and am worried that as soon as I launch a game I'll be back to a boot loop (and I was right). I don't know what else to do :(

I have no extra components to test with nor can I get any.

Online searches yielded people with the same thing, always seems to happen during heavy load ie gaming but no one has found a solution. Replacement boards didn't solve it either for them.

Am going to flash the newest bios to it shortly and even considered the wall socket being bad so tried another, albeit not grounded, one to no avail. Also, I have my GPU zip tied upwards to counter the sag, could that be it? Grasping at straws now.

Edit 3: Because I keep thinking of a short somewhere I removed the side panels (to no avail), reseated all cables in the PSU, removed the top panel and it booted just fine - although I doubt that's the culprit. Here's a pic of the top panel where you can see a ground wire attached to the case, a rolled up LED wire I don't use, and 3 empty sockets from which I removed cables I don't use (front eSATA, USB 2.0 etc.).

Could there maybe be a short caused by something faulty with the case that I simply cannot see? I don't want to buy a new case on a whim, hoping that'd solve it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  2. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Remove the MoBo and build the PC without a case, put the MoBo on top of something clean, not metal or glass, preferably wood or use the MoBo box itself.

One question, why would your GPU sag so much that you have to tie it up?

3. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    GPU: if I only knew. Could be the mobo or the case, but it sags and I don't like it :)

Remainder; when I built the system last month it wouldn't boot and gave code 13. Built it on the box with an antistatic bag in between and it worked fine. Tried every PSU cable as well, every component and was fine. Repeated the process but then inside the case, no issues until yesterday.

Putting it on the box again is my last resort but doesn't really tell me anything (?), other than a possible short somewhere - which I'll never find, so what do I do then? Buying another case hoping it's solved isn't really practical unless I'm sure my case is the problem.

4. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    I've put the RAM back to XMP and also tested the PSU in OCCT for over 30 mins. No issues. Time to put the OC back and re-test the PSU and CPU.

5. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    Testing the AIO: iIn OCCT CPU temp was 59 C on the hottest core during the PSU test.

So tested without OCs and adding one OC at a time (in OCCT):

PSU: 80 minutes - no issues

GPU: no issues

CPU: no issues

System is still up and running since I refitted the cables into the PSU side so I cannot replicate the issue nor am I convinced it's the cables (when I build the system and it would do something similar it gave me Q-code 13, I tested with stock PSU cables to no avail - unless the matters are unrelated).

6. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    5 JANUARY 2016:

Incident: watching a second South Park ep in WMP. Immediate system shutdown. Boot loop gave Q-code 25 (= nowhere in the table) (gave 25 earlier, after a clear CMOS button it went to 14 or 15). System tries to boot 2x, then gives up.

What I did: Shut off the PSU and drained power. Removed extension cord from electric socket. Removed all CableMod PSU cables on the PSU side and re-fitted them. Removed PSU cables from motherboard (24-pin only; 8-pin is can only be removed by removing AIO cooler) and GPU. Took out and re-fitted the RAM. Took off and re-fitted the front USB 3.0 connector from the motherboard (next to the 24-pin socket). Tightened the SATA and power connectors on both the SSD and HDD - thinking of Never Back Down's previous issues.

Result: System booted fine instantly.

Thoughts: I may have narrowed it down.

1. It could be the RAM. It's not on the QVL list but that shouldn't be a problem. Is there a good recent RAM test that will replicate the issue if any exists?

2. It could be the front USB 3.0 connector (can that cause an immediate and full shutdown to begin with?), and here's why: perhaps the Q-code when I built the system is unrelated to the current issues. You see, I left the connector off until a few days ago.

3. It's one of the CableMod cables (refer to my Q-code 13 thread where I note I did test cable by cable with the stock Corsair cables both outside and inside the case).

4. On the off chance that the SATA cables might be bad, although they are brand new ones that came with the motherboard, I could replace them if the issue occurs again.

7. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    EDIT 6 JANUARY 2016:

After a good night of gaming last night the system (now without the front USB 3.0 attached) decided to shut down again, went into a boot loop until b6 (Clean-up of NVRAM - no idea what that means, neither does Google) and then boot looping to 25 a couple of times. Only refitting the PSU cables like yesterday worked.

I did check again and my RAM (Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15) indeed isn't on the QVL. However the same kit in 4x4 config is.

Found another lad with a similar system (mobo, GPU, exact RAM) with similar issues and I asked both Asus and Corsair if they are familiar with the the mobo & RAM combo being problematic - earlier Asus advised me to try QVL parts only but obviously I don't have other RAM, PSU, GPU and SSD lying around for the fun of it.

My question to you guys and girls is:

1. Could it indeed be the RAM?
    2. Could incompatible RAM cause this after working fine for weeks?
    3. Alternatively, could it just be a bad CPU OC causing this? I ask because after refitting the PSU cables now and again it says 'OC failed' upon booting. Would be weird if it worked fine for a couple of weeks.

Also, how about the CPU 8-pin being too tight here:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  8. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    Silly question: how about where I connect the CPU and GPU power cables in the PSU?

Right now I have the CPU in slot 1, the GPU in slot 2.

Further, I did update the Nvidia driver to the latest right before the issues began, although doubtful I will revert back, and try the stock Corsair GPU cable.

Been reading threads online left and right but no one has a real cause or solution. The ROG forum is full of them with different gen boards. I am at wits end to be honest. I also don't know if it's related to the code 13 when I assembled the system. I built many PCs in the past but never encountered this issue; I'm puzzled.

It always shuts down under load (only in game) except for once when it did in the bios and in Windows Media Player.

Only this changed before the shut downs:

1. Different monitor
    2. Updated GPU driver
    3. Some Windows updates
    4. Put a very mild OC on the GPU (shuts down with it off also). 1388/3637, stock volts

I only play FO4 currently, but doubt it's the game.

I'll put it all on a box come weekend, but how to continue if it fails? And how if it doesn't?

9. Groovy-Music

Groovy-Music Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
    Hello mister! How are you today?
    Intermittent problems are tough to pinpoint!

I would suggest you to loosen the screws of your CPU COOLER! Just enough for it to be in place, but without exercising a 'squeezing' pressure.

Many problems related to RAM, RAM Sluts not working or computer cycling power ON and OFF has been caused by a too tight CPU cooler, interfering with the motherboard's circuitry.

Have a nice day

10. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    10 JANUARY

The case top panel has a ground wire that screws onto the top metal part of the case; maybe that isn't needed anymore?

The iron blocks on the mobo back are extremely close to the case tray by the way:

http://i64.tinypic.com/2u9iafl.jpg

Right now I'm running inside the case with everything attached and with the stock Corsair PSU cables to give that go. The system kept shutting down with the stock cables but I hadn't yet changed the 8-pin CPU cable. I have yesterday morning and it's been running so far. Could it be...that simple...?

Considering buying individually sleeved Corsair cables if the cables proved to be the culprit. The stock cables are too short and a bit meh looking imo.

I ran 7 instances of Memtest (2047MB each to cover 99% of the RAM) overnight (500% coverage) with 0 errors (BIOS defaults; no OCs). Should I repeat the process with XMP enabled? Or with all OCs enabled?

I had planned to drop it off at the repair shop for serious testing (and maybe they can check the CPU power cable) tomorrow morning (24hrs from now), so I'm eager to cram as much testing in before that as possible.

I'm also leaving the GPU sag a bit now instead of having it zip-tied (from the front of the cooler to the motherboard tray where there's a hole); I might have been pulling it oddly out off place. Puget Systems in the US has a handy bracket for it but they don't sell outside the US Must find me an American

If the system keeps working now it means my Q-code 13 when I built it last November is unrelated... Could be possible I suppose.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016

11. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    Double post, I know, but the previous one is just too long for my crappy phone so this is a one-off. I do apologise.

Any more ideas for what I should do next if the system comes back 'fine' from repair?

I no longer want to spent every waking minute after work messing about and I can't randomly start to RMA parts. Surely I'm not the only one in the world with this issue :) I would like to use my system for a change.

I'm at the point of just buying TridentZ and lose money in the process but I can't believe that's it, but I don't know what else to do.

12. Vugtz0r

Vugtz0r Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX970 3.5GB
    broken CPU

I have the same problem. took it to my local computer shop to see if the CPU was broken and indeed it was. so they've RMA'd my CPU and a new one will be ready for me next thursday. I'm glad it wasn't the motherboard since Asus RMA takes 4 weeks or so.

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I have the same Motherboard and the same ram but the 4x4GB version.

Before I got this mobo my ram would not run stable at rated speed in MSI and ASRock boards, only managing between 2500 and 2800MHz depending on bios version.
    With the Hero VIII it overclocks to 3600MHz, crazy.

When I was struggling with it in the MSI and ASRock boards, I contacted Corsair who offered to exchange it for the exact ram you have.
    I suggest you contact Corsair support and see what they say, your ram could well be faulty.
    If trouble persists they might swap for a 4x4GB kit, but I think what you have is screwed because it doesnt even work at 2100MHz.
    Although as pointed out, the CPU is suspect too.

Also check there are no bent pins in the CPU socket.

14. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Could be the PSU - I just replaced a failed EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 myself (not the same but similar).

Can you borrow a PSU from a friend to rule it out?

15. Trasher

Trasher Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Agree with Chinobino, I had same kind of problems with my old build. Swapped out everything, sent back the mobo etc. Turned out to be the PSU