No Display With Vga Connection

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by k3kiaze, Apr 17, 2008.

1. k3kiaze

k3kiaze New Member

I can connect my DELL laptop to my TV [Hitachi Aspect 50" Plasma 50HDA39] using a VGA cable to the PC input on the TV. {extend desktop and mirror mode work fine at almost any resolution and frequency and 16 or 32 bit Color. So no problems there.}

But I have issues connecting my PC to it.

When I connect the PC to the TV via VGA, the POST screen displays on TV. [the screen that shows your PC specs says press DEL to enter BIOS], but if I try to enter BIOS (by hitting DEL) there's NO display. BLANK BLACk SCREEN. If i don't hit DEL, the windows boot-screen [Starting windows xp] displays but soon after I get this message: "NO SYNC SIGNAL" and TV turns BLANK.

I have tried all resolutions. NO GO. Also if I press 'F8' to try to select 'safe mode' during startup the screen goes blank. I've connected the PC to this TV via S-video right now, and everything works [with S-video clarity, which sucks]

My PC uses Nvidia's 8800 GT 512 MB graphics card, has 2 DVI outputs and 1 S-video output. I'm using a DVI-to-VGA adapter. I can connect a CRT monitor to this VGA adapter and everything works fine. so it's not the adapter or cables. Why would I see the boot-screen and POST screen but nothing else? I've searched the internet I don't see anyone else have the exact same issue anywhere.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. k3kiaze

k3kiaze New Member

Hmm.. I know it's kinda soon, but does anyone have any input on this?

3. jssamp

jssamp New Member

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce 8600m GS
    What is the resolution set to on your PC?

The 50HDA39 only accepts PC inputs with the following resolutions:

Mode Resolution Refresh rate
    VGA 640x480 60Hz
    WVGA 848x480 60Hz
    SVGA 800x600 60Hz
    XGA 1024x768 60Hz
    WXGA 1280x720 60Hz
    WXGA 1280x768 60Hz​
    WXGA 1360x768 60Hz

If your PC display output corresponds to
    a WVGA or a WXGA resolution as
    indicated in the chart above (example:
    WXGA 1360 x 768), you must set the
    WVGA INPUT or WXGA INPUT to the
    ON position in the PC Picture menu in​
    the TV.

My suspicion is you have your desktop display resolution set to something the TV doesn't like.

If you have the owner's manual for the TV it is on page 16.

4. Doomster

Doomster Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireHD3850/AcerX263w
    Check your resolution to match the plasma and maybe try using the S-Video cable instead of the VGA adaptor. Sometimes the DVI output jack on the back of your videocard may not be compatible or be able to separate the video digital signals into analog VGA that will work with your setup. Check your manual and the website, that might suggest a better setup. Good Luck