Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats
Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats A cracking SoundBlaster ? Got new Speakers ? Be heard in here !

Old
  (#51)
Deadman93723
Ancient Guru

Videocard: BFG GTX 260 OC2 MaxCore
Processor: Core 2 Duo E8500@4.2Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P5Q PRO
Memory: 4GB Corsair PC8500@1100mh
Soundcard: SB X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro
PSU: OCZ Powerstream 600w
Default 12-12-2006, 08:50 | posts: 3,036 | Location: Hell.....but it's a dry heat

I got a Circuit City gift card for $50, and I was already going to get the ExtremeMusic, so I just put all my money together and got a X-Fi Fatal1ty pro, and man, it sounds good!!! Yeah, I may never see the XRam get utilized much, but this card sure beats my old Audigy 2 ZS.

Old
  (#52)
Steven Hone
Paolo the Gun

Videocard: Zotac AMP Extrme 1080 GTX
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.8k
Mainboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Memory: Corsair DDR4 16GB 3000Mhz
Soundcard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
PSU: Super Flower Leadex 850w
Default 12-12-2006, 09:53 | posts: 2,244 | Location: Ireland

Im thinking about getting it

Whats the ms latency from it?

Old
  (#53)
ROBSCIX
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 22" LCD on GTX260 C216
Processor: Intel I7 860
Mainboard: MSI P55 GD80
Memory: G.SKILL DDR3-1600 4X2GB
Soundcard: It Varies...
PSU: Sigma
Default 12-12-2006, 20:15 | posts: 16,236 | Location: Guru3D Audio Lab

Latency of which?

had to do it......
Old
  (#54)
Scottishampster

Videocard: BFG 6800 Ultra
Processor: 64 X2 4400
Mainboard: ASUS A8VDeluxe
Memory: 2mb pc3200 DDR2
Soundcard: Audigy 2ZS Platinum Pro
PSU: Antec Neo550
Default had to do it...... - 12-23-2006, 03:18 | posts: 1 | Location: pleasant hill cali

Question? I own an audigy 2ZS and would like to know what EAX is and what does it do? Is my 1st posting so no beef back please.....thx

Old
  (#55)
ROBSCIX
Ancient Guru

Default 12-23-2006, 16:26 | posts: 16,236 | Location: Guru3D Audio Lab

Eax are effects routines in the Creative labs cards. Newer games can access these routines for instance if you go into a big room the reverb engine in the card will make it sound as your in a big room. this is a simplified answer but it give you the picture. Newer version like EAX 4 & 5 can do multiple environments at once -hearing refelctions from a cave echoing down a stone hallway. Hope this helps. Some people love EAX others not so much.

Old
  (#56)
xankazo
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 1060 SC (6GB)
Processor: Intel Core i7 4770
Mainboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB
Soundcard: SupremeFX / Z-5500
PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W
Default 12-23-2006, 23:29 | posts: 2,797 | Location: Santo Domingo

if u want more realistic sound effects and some more accuracy in sound positioning (like when you can tell someone is shooting at you from behind) you should enable EAX 3.0 or EAX-HD (aka EAX 4.0), but it comes with a price, since gaming performance will suffer a bit and you will lose some FPS. hope this helps...

Old
  (#57)
kapu
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI Geforce 1060 6gb
Processor: Intel i5 7600K @ 4.8Ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z270-Gaming K3
Memory: Corsair Dual 16GB,3200mhz
Soundcard:
PSU: Be Quiet! E9 680W
Default 12-29-2006, 18:56 | posts: 3,712 | Location: Poland

Hi , all i read whole topic and so :

I have got and X-Fi Gamer. Using the XFi Drivers no problems.
No problems in games. I switched from ALC880(50?). I gain huge boost in performace. But not that is important.. the sound quality is amazing.
I Was wondering about the chip... so i removed heatsink. It says
"X-Fi" on it. The processor is extremaly hot .. with out heatsink sound started to be crapy or even disapear when enabled 5.1.
Heatsink is hot when on.

I am very happy with the card. NIce sound quality and performace .
For me around 15-30%.

Old
  (#58)
ROBSCIX
Ancient Guru

Default 12-29-2006, 19:18 | posts: 16,236 | Location: Guru3D Audio Lab

Yes, the X-fi Extreme gamer has a true X-fi chip. The extreme audio doesn't have a true X-fi processor.

Old
  (#59)
kapu
Ancient Guru

Soundcard:
Default 12-29-2006, 19:21 | posts: 3,712 | Location: Poland

They why the hell they(Creative) tell **** to player naming it "X-Fi".
Curious thing i found on Creative web site... There is no precise specification of X-Fi Audio . Are they trying to hide something ?

Old
  (#60)
ROBSCIX
Ancient Guru

Default 12-29-2006, 20:03 | posts: 16,236 | Location: Guru3D Audio Lab

That is just Creative. They are very "fudgy" when it comes to their spec's they have actually been sued for saying a card can do something it cannot.
This Extrem audio will be sold to alot of people who don't know any better. I would say if your gonna buy a X-Fi ateast get a real one with a true 20KX processor.

Old
  (#61)
Donnie27
Banned

Videocard: ATI X1800XT
Processor: C2D E6600
Mainboard: GA-965 DS3
Memory: GSkill DDR2 800 2GB
Soundcard: CL X-Fi XM/Pioneer Receiver
PSU: Antec TP 2.0 550W
Default 12-29-2006, 20:14 | posts: 212 | Location: Little Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapu View Post
They why the hell they(Creative) tell **** to player naming it "X-Fi".
Curious thing i found on Creative web site... There is no precise specification of X-Fi Audio . Are they trying to hide something ?
Because they had a flashback of their old selves and couldn't fight the urge to try and rip folks off. Their old Scumbag self won won out over common sense. Sticking the X-Fi sticker on this thing is a bad joke It's nothing but a pure slime-ball act of unadulterated Sleaze at its best. Shame on you Creative Labs. The person at Creative Labs who signed off on it should be FIRED! Then blacklisted so he or she doesn't end up somewhere else to try and pull a similar stunt.

With that said, if I personally stopped buying computer parts from companies that have pulled similar things, I'd not have a computer.

Old
  (#62)
kapu
Ancient Guru

Soundcard:
Default 12-29-2006, 20:19 | posts: 3,712 | Location: Poland

I am glad that i have one .. i and didnt lost my money for some **** ;/

Old
  (#63)
ROBSCIX
Ancient Guru

Default 12-29-2006, 23:13 | posts: 16,236 | Location: Guru3D Audio Lab

Big business can be underhanded sometimes. I had the "privledge" to work for one of the largest PC companies in the world and there was alot of bad stuff going on. Private documents things we couldn't mention to our customers. The bigger the company is the more they are focused on money and forget about the little guys. IF you stopped buying though as was mentioned you wouldn't have a PC, that is why you did the right thing and did a little research before you went and ploped your money on the counter. Buyer beware!!

Old
  (#64)
Donnie27
Banned

Default 12-30-2006, 06:17 | posts: 212 | Location: Little Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSCIX View Post
Big business can be underhanded sometimes. I had the "privledge" to work for one of the largest PC companies in the world and there was alot of bad stuff going on. Private documents things we couldn't mention to our customers. The bigger the company is the more they are focused on money and forget about the little guys. IF you stopped buying though as was mentioned you wouldn't have a PC, that is why you did the right thing and did a little research before you went and ploped your money on the counter. Buyer beware!!
It has little to do with Size. I had an AMD processor Die after about 3 months. I got and RMA sent it in. After 6 week's, it arrived in the Mail but it was the same one I sent out. A note inside said "We don't replace processors damaged from overclocking". I emailed and explained that that 1333MHz TBird ran too hot at stock and overclocking it was impossible. I was told they believed it died from overclocking. Also got a dead 2600! Didn't even bother trying to send it back.

VIA USB drivers or the lack there of caused a $200 HP scanner to burn up.

Another VIA died and took RAM and another AMD processor with it.

Enermax dies and kills a nForce motherboard. Folks at Enermax say it must have been the board.

IBM death start HDD replaced 3 times. Lost count and gave up on Maxtor.

MegaWorks 650's die at 13 months 1 week, Creative says sorry 12 months only.

That's topped by Logitech 560z dies 12 months 3 weeks after registration, "Nope sorry 12 months only, could we interest you in another set?" Actually only the Controller is bad.

The latest was GSkill. First they try to blame the "Default low Voltage on Gigabyte and the Intel 965." This was a known problem and GSKill first advised it as "Intel Only RAM". This since it worked on i975. The problem was that the RAM known by it last two letter as HZ needed 2.2 to 2.3v. The mothers defaulted to 1.8V when first booted. The workaround for this was to have cheap stick of DDR2 533 to get into the BIOS, set the higher voltage and then save and exit. Shut down stick the GS RAM in and you're set. BuzzzzzzzT wrong. This stuff needed as much at 2.4v to stay kind of stable at 667. Sent back and they replaced it with PK RAM that had been sold as 667, now re badged as DDR2 800. Currently running at 667MHz and
1.9v to stay stable. Will not run at 800MHz even with 2.4v LOL!

That's only about one fifth of the problems I've had with about 9 out of 10 hardware company's. Yet, I messed up a rebate and Kim at Creative chatted with me on the phone about it. A little over two weeks later I got my $40 rebate.

Last edited by Donnie27; 01-01-2007 at 08:11.

Old
  (#65)
kapu
Ancient Guru

Soundcard:
Default 12-30-2006, 10:42 | posts: 3,712 | Location: Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie27 View Post
It has little to do with Size. I had an AMD processor Die after about 3 months. I got and RMA sent it in. After 6 week's, it arrived in the Mail but it was the same one I sent out. A note inside said "We don't replace processors damaged from overclocking". I emailed and explained that that that 1333MHz TBird ran too hot at stock and overclocking it was impossible. I was told they believed it died from overclocking. Also got a dead 2600! Didn't even bother trying to send it back.

VIA USB drivers or the lack there of caused a $200 HP scanner to burn up.

Another VIA died and took RAM and another AMD processor with it.

Enermax dies and kills a nForce motherboard. Folks at Enermax say it must have been the board.

IBM death start HDD replaced 3 times. Lost count and gave up on Maxtor.

MegaWorks 650's die at 13 months 1 week, Creative says sorry 12 months only.

That's topped by Logitech 560z dies 12 months 3 weeks after registration, "Nope sorry 12 months only, could we interest you in another set?" Actually only the Controller is bad.

The latest was GSkill. First they try to blame the "Default low Voltage on Gigabyte and the Intel 965." This was a known problem and GSKill first advised it as "Intel Only RAM". This since it worked on i975. The problem was that the RAM known by it last two letter as HZ needed 2.2 to 2.3v. The mothers defaulted to 1.8V when first booted. The workaround for this was to have cheap stick of DDR2 533 to get into the BIOS, set the higher voltage and then save and exit. Shut down stick the GS RAM in and you're set. BuzzzzzzzT wrong. This stuff needed as much at 2.4v to stay kind of stable at 667. Sent back and they replaced it with PK RAM that had been sold as 667, now re badged as DDR2 800. Currently running at 667MHz and
1.9v to stay stable. Will not run at 800MHz even with 2.4v LOL!

That's only about one fifth of the problems I've had with about 9 out of 10 hardware company's. Yet, I messed up a rebate and Kim at Creative chatted with me on the phone about it. A little over two weeks later I got my $40 rebate.
Wow you had very hard problems... MY story .i try to short it:
For evry part that died from overclocking i was getting new one..
sometimes better than that dead one . Never had such problems .
Frist dead mob : GigaByte Kt266 Kiled it by accited (i broken some transistors) got new GigaByte KT333. Mob2 MSI K7N2Delta Killed by overclocking and high voltages they send me new K7N2Delta.
Then GigaByte K8NE killed by overclocking and high voltage --> New K8NE-RH. There was more but that 3 mobs failded on overclocking.

Old
  (#66)
Donnie27
Banned

Default 12-30-2006, 18:17 | posts: 212 | Location: Little Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapu View Post
Wow you had very hard problems... MY story .i try to short it:
For evry part that died from overclocking i was getting new one..
sometimes better than that dead one . Never had such problems .
Frist dead mob : GigaByte Kt266 Kiled it by accited (i broken some transistors) got new GigaByte KT333. Mob2 MSI K7N2Delta Killed by overclocking and high voltages they send me new K7N2Delta.
Then GigaByte K8NE killed by overclocking and high voltage --> New K8NE-RH. There was more but that 3 mobs failded on overclocking.
For all of the Bad luck, I've never killed anything overclocking=P

Old
  (#67)
ROBSCIX
Ancient Guru

Default 12-30-2006, 19:15 | posts: 16,236 | Location: Guru3D Audio Lab

I try to deal with one specific dealer as he has great RMA policies. IF I send something back and it is still under warranty I usually get a model from the new line up that is equal to the one I lost. It's all just math if you make potato chips there is always gonna be a few bad ones in the bag.
Back on topic, I think people should alway be in the habit of doign reaserch prior to buying a component. If you don't and then you get something you didn't really want who's fault is it? Creative labs have their tricky spec and such but as I said if you do your research you will always get what you want. Can't trick a person who is eductaed about the products.

Old
  (#68)
adabiviak
Master Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
Processor: Intel Core i7-5820K
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth X99
Memory: DDR4 / 32GB
Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster Z
PSU: Corsair RM750X
Default 12-31-2006, 15:54 | posts: 705 | Location: California

...so I go to their website to see what all they have to offer, and it appears that their marketing department has been busy.

Sound Blaster X-Fi...
Elite Pro
Fatal1ty
XtremeGamer (Fatal1ty Professional Series)
XtremeGamer (not Fatal1ty Professional Series)
Platinum
XtremeMusic
XtremeAudio

Their web page hurts my head and I can't bring myself to read their Xtreme Spex, but I'd still like to know what they're offering. I take it from the previous posts that the last two cards in this list are 'phony' X-Fi cards. I'm only after EAX availability for FPSs; only marginally concerned about framerate; not at all concerned about creating or playing music. Then I notice that none of them have fiber optic connectors? They have digital out signals, no? It mentions something about a Flexijack connector, but searches on this led to forums with people frustrated when they found out it wasn't doing what they expected. Can the X-Fi put out a digital 5.1 signal?

Old
  (#69)
stormy
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI RX 470 Gamer X 4G
Processor: FX 8350
Mainboard: Asus M5A97 EVO
Memory: ADATA XPG V1.0 16GB
Soundcard: Xonar DGX, Logitech X-530
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650W
Default 12-31-2006, 16:40 | posts: 2,542 | Location: Toronto, Ontario

The only 'fake' X-Fi in the list is the Xtreme Audio, all the rest have the same chip on them (EMU20K or whatever it is called) and use the same drivers, etc.

The Extreme Audio doesn't have the chip on it and has its own drivers (all that card basically is is a re-badged Audigy SE/DE/LS/Value).

Old
  (#70)
ROBSCIX
Ancient Guru

Default 12-31-2006, 17:14 | posts: 16,236 | Location: Guru3D Audio Lab

Digital 5.1 signal? it can pass one through BUT cannot create one...
so if your playing games or listening to music it will be STEREO over digital. the only time you can have surround with that card is perhaps watching a movie if you have the proper software filters and players.

Old
  (#71)
adabiviak
Master Guru

Default 01-01-2007, 18:01 | posts: 705 | Location: California

Thanks! So if I'm playing a game and have it set to generate 5.1 sounds, they will come from the CPU, as the X-Fi will simply pass it on to the system or speakers? If I'm using an Azuentech card (that can generate this signal?), will it also take the 5.1 sound generated from the game and pass it through? If I had the game set to generate stereo sounds, the Azuentech card could turn it into 5.1? The X-Fi cards, while passing this signal, will add the EAX effects before outputting the signal, no?

Pardon my ignorance on the subject

Old
  (#72)
alg7_munif
Master Guru

Videocard: Sapphire HD4870 X2
Processor: PII X4 965 @3.7GHZ 1.375V
Mainboard: Asus P5E
Memory: OCZ Platinum DDR800 4GB
Soundcard: X-Meridian LM6172, HD-595
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 01-01-2007, 18:20 | posts: 664

A 5.1 digital sound comes from the sound card chip, this 5.1 digital sound can be sent to the Digital Analogue Converters on both Creative's and Auzentech's cards or on Auzentech's cards, this sound can be encoded into Dolby Digital/DTS "format". With this encoding, the 5.1 digital sound can be sent through SPDIF because without the encoding, SPDIF can only send a stereo sound.

Old
  (#73)
adabiviak
Master Guru

Default 01-01-2007, 19:34 | posts: 705 | Location: California

ok - so with the Azuentech cards, you can get 5.1 digital and analog out with limited EAX. With Creative's cards, you can get 5.1 analog only and full EAX? What's stopping Creative from putting a 5.1 digital processor on their cards? They've certainly got the other bells and whistles (and I'll attest to the fact that the digital 5.1 sounds noticeably better than analog in games).

Old
  (#74)
alg7_munif
Master Guru

Videocard: Sapphire HD4870 X2
Processor: PII X4 965 @3.7GHZ 1.375V
Mainboard: Asus P5E
Memory: OCZ Platinum DDR800 4GB
Soundcard: X-Meridian LM6172, HD-595
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 01-01-2007, 20:08 | posts: 664

Actually digital doesn't sound better than analogue because what you hear is actually also an analogue sound but you get a better sound using digital connection because the digital sound from the sound card is converted to analogue by your receiver. When you use analogue connection the digital-analogue conversion is done by your sound card. If your sound card can do a better digital-analogue conversion than your receiver, you will get a better sound using analogue connection(if you can avoid sound quality degradation). I think the only reason Creative doesn't support the encoding is they need to pay Dolby/DTS for the license and paying the license will lower their profit.

Last edited by alg7_munif; 01-01-2007 at 20:22.

Old
  (#75)
impulse-silent

Videocard: Sapphire Radeon X1950 XT
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 4000+ SanDiego
Mainboard: ASUS A8N32-SLI DeLuxe
Memory: 2x512MB Kingston HyperX 2-3-2-6 1T
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic & Z-2300
PSU: Enermax Liberty 500w
Default 01-02-2007, 02:26 | posts: 3 | Location: Germany

That's marketing right there - people that don't know about hardware this much buy an X-Fi Audio and basically waste their money for nothing.