Is Samsung S27A950D good for 3d gaming/movies at 1080p 120hz?

Discussion in '3D Stereo and VR Gaming Section' started by ralphjayson, Apr 3, 2012.

1. ralphjayson

ralphjayson Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 3GB 7950 OE
    So I'm planning to buy a 3d monitor to use with my Sapphire 7950 OE and the 600-650$ price of the S27A950 seems reasonable since it is 3D LED with its own 2d to 3d engine conversion feature at 2ms at 120hz refresh rate.
    The next monitor from samsung is the T model but costs 100$ more.
    Is there a better monitor out there that beats S27A950 in both 3D and picture, movies, and games quality?

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    tbh theres not really anything better if you want 1080p 3D on an ATI card
    Theres not really much better for NVidia either, that display is current cream of the crop but wont do 1080p 3D with NVidia.

3. Beast

Beast Guest

GPU:
    -
    I own the S27A750D and now that DisplayPort is working fine on my GTX 680 I couldn't be happier.

Both 750D & 950D monitors are great although I'd recommend the 950D as it has a DVI port.

The 750D requires DisplayPort for 120Hz and it's finicky at times. Randomly it loses signal and requires shutting the monitor off & turning it back on. Usually happens at least once a day.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    There are some things to be aware of when using the Samsung 3D displays on NVidia.
    Its more or less straightforward on ATI using Tridef software, full resolution 3D is supported.

This is a 30 page thread on the S27A950D with a bit of info on the cheaper 750D
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1608858

Tridef 3D software that comes with the display will not allow NVidia cards to do full 1080p 3D, a 1/2 res method is used (ie SBS - Side By Side).
    There is a way to allow 3DVision to work but I havent found any proof that it allows full res 3D yet, nobody seems to mention if you still need to use 1/2 res or not.
    A guy called Morkai posted his experience with 3D vision in the same thread
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1608858&page=24
    It looks like he is using full res frame sequential, but he doesnt say.
    The main issue "may be" you need to use the Samsung emitter (when using Samsung displays/glasses), not the NVidia ones and 3DVision doesnt enable unless it detects its own emitter.
    I saw in another thread for a different 3D display, that someone got the Samsung emitter to work by simply having the NVidia emitter plugged in, but not used.
    No proof it will work with this display though.

ps Tridef works very well on Nvidia cards now, its just the lack of full res thats a deal breaker.

pps Tridef will let you do 1/2 res 3D over HDMI.
    This is what I am using with my LG DM2780D passive 3D display.
    (it only has HDMI for digital in, 3D is 60 frames per eye using alternate screen lines with passive polarised glasses, looks awesome btw!)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012

5. Titan29

Titan29 Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 | 7900XTX
    I found the screen for S27A950D to be too glossy. It produces reflections which can be very distracting.

Aside from that, this is a great display for 120Hz gaming, especially 3D gaming.

6. °L°

°L° Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    hi,
    i just bought the samsung s23a700d.(23pouces)
    It has a dvi connector, it means that i will be able tu use tridef on 120hz fullscreen and 2*60hz in 3d, right?
    i'm scared, i buy it without paying attention of how it works.
    i've got a gtx460oc i hope it's enough.
    Thanks in advance.

7. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I just got the S27A950 myself and I'm loving it. Took me a while to have it calibrated correctly but now I get great color reproduction, nice black levels and good contrast.
    The only thing that's still bugging me is the 3D mode. As Mufflore already said there's no real way to get full-res 3D working with an Nvidia card right now.
    TriDef does work but I found it to be quite painful to use, the effect is great though :)

PS: The screen has a very high maximum brightness so the glossy coating isn't really an issue.

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I've just been messing with NVidias Stereo options on my LG screen and it may be usable now for you, it can be enabled without an NVidia USB LED emitter connected.
    Note, this is with the new 301.24 Driver.
    It adds an "HD 3D" section to the available resolutions.

Because I am using HDMI I am restricted to 1080p 24Hz (good for Blu Ray) but I cant adjust the 3D depth, the hotkey changes are greyed out and dont work either.
    But you may get the option to use higher refresh with Dual DVI.
    See if it works now, you never know and you may get to use the hotkeys.
    Worth a shot.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  9. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    How much harder does the GPU need to work for 3D? does it need to render 120 frames? (60 for each eye?) Would a single 680 be enough for BF3 in 3D?

10. [Drazio]

[Drazio] Guest

GPU:
    -
    You lose roughly half the performance when using 3D and it renders 60Hz per eye.

Reference video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV73shxh6_Q

Skip to the 4 minute mark.

BF3 1080p Ultra Settings:

2D = 42FPS min, 72FPS avg

3D = 20FPS min, 37FPS avg

This Samsung doesn't support 3D for Nvidia though.

11. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    It doesn't support full 1080p 3D or 3D Vision without any further attention, sadly that's true. 3D itself does work though but you're limited to side-by-side or top/bottom mode (resolution gets cut in half).

12. °L°

°L° Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    omg, i can't use frame sequential (well i don't know how or if its possible)

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You can do side by side or top/bottom and set the monitor to the 3D mode used.
    There may be another option with shutter glasses that doesnt require setting the monitor up.
    I'm using polarised glasses so I cant check that.

14. °L°

°L° Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    yes but i use the dvi full rate, those who complain use hdmi instead of dvi and me im using dvi and its not working. And i've tried the nvidia 3d emulator but it doesn't work, im lock when they try to fake and install the usb emitter 3d

15. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    You just described my situation ;) 120Hz works fine due to DVI-D but no frame sequential 3D mode and no working "hacked" USB emitter.

16. °L°

°L° Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    frame sequential works for me now but only with the hack emitter and 285.62.
    It's good but i don't have skyrim profile and if i upgrade my drivers, i can't use anymore the crt mode which has been deleted after 285.62. Thanks to nvidia!

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Lets get all the information we have found together and come up with some ideas.

Can all of you post the links to hacks that you have tried and what happened when you tried them, try not to miss anything out, it could be important.
    I'll examine them and will look for some more info too.
    If anyone else wants to try and interpret what is happening, feel free.

I wish I had one of your displays to play with.
    The only reason I didnt buy one when they first came out was because Tridef doesnt support NVidia @ 120Hz full res and 3DVision had no support, idiotic imo
    NVidia could easily allow the glasses/screen to work, they are probably avoiding having to support problems from competitors kit with a nice side effect that they sell more of their approved products.
    Then again TriDef could support NVidia properly, I imagine AMD have a hand in the pie there too.
    Market forces, grrrr.

18. °L°

°L° Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=997

I use this tuto, but it's old.

Now, as far as i know, people use to hack the latest drivers with an older one to fake the emitter.
    And because there is no crt mode support anymore, they modify a file to make nvidia thinks that it's an official and supported screen.

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I'm still reading through, that page links to a lot of other pages which link to other pages.
    Theres a lot of stuff I havent seen before.

Basic issues as I see them:
    1) Nvidia detect if you are using a monitor that isnt authorised and disables support.
    You need a monitor .inf that NVidia wont disable and is compatible with your display.
    Within the inf, the 3D modes must be present.

2) The NVidia USB emitter may still need to be present to get full support, this isnt certain.
    The above link points to an NVidia emitter emulator that may still be usable.

3) Driver 258.62 seems to be the last driver that gave trouble free operation with the emitter emulator and has CRT support with frame sequential modes.
    I'm checking if others are capable and what changes allow them to function.

Gotta eat, back later.

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It seems 285.79 is the last driver to play nice.

There is even a way to share the NVidia USB emitter over the internet lol !!
    http://www.mtbs 3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9990&start=15 -- remove the space
    Using this
    http://www.usb-over-network.com/

Someone reported getting a 290 beta driver working.
    This method may work for newer drivers, worth a try.
    http://www.mtbs 3d/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9990&start=135 -- remove the space

A way to get it working without the emulator with 285.62 on the S27A950D monitor.
    It may work with 285.79 too.
    2nd post Page 2
    http://www.3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2038&start=10

There is an inf for the Alienware AW2310 that works with the Samsung displays and overrides the EDID to fool NVidia.
    http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2025&start=10
    found it on this page
    http://www.3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2038

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012