Best option for 5.1 via spdif

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by DerSchniffles, Nov 19, 2013.

1. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    So kind of a wierd question for you guys.

As it sits right now I have an Asus Xonar DG which was great compared to my mobo audio, especially when it was just my headphones and a pair of $10 speakers that didnt piss off my wife.

Long story short: My wife is leaving me (hey you! yes you, stop feeling sorry for me right this instant! Its kinda for the better)

That being said, I will have my place all to myself and was able to FINALLY hook up my pc to my TV and put my 28" next to it for my dual screen setup. Wahoo! Hell, I even got my self a 240 gig ssd for my game drive (have a 60 gig ssd for my OS).

Anyways, on my theater setup I have one of those crappy HTIB systems that only has digital optical or digital coax coming out of it. Having that hooked up to my sound card will only net me Pro Logic which isnt even surround sound but 2 channels "emulating" 5.1 if im correct (not a pro in this field lol).

So it seems my only 2 options are with what I got is either getting an analog speaker setup such as a logitech system or what not but since this is a stupid divorce which will cost money I can afford much so I was looking at the $80 5.1 system they had. But for the same price I could get the Xonar sound card that has the dolby digital live feature that would work with my current system.

My question for all you fine gentlemen (and ladies if any) is what would be the better move here, getting the sound card to work with what i have or get new speakers? Either way, this is no high end setup and I do understand this. Or perhaps im missing something that could be solved in an easier fasion?

Thanks for your time gentle sirs and ladies.

2. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Better off getting speakers and using the DAC in the soundcard via analog :)

regards
    ,RagDoll.

3. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti

Any recommendations? I mean, I can spend about $100-130 USD if its going to help. It just seems like there is no in between when it comes to computer speakers. It goes from the 80 buck logitech to the 330 buck speakers. Kinda wish there was a good middle ground, but again, Im not gonna be picky with the price point being fairly weak. Thanks again.

4. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti

5. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
  6. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Isnt that system doing what mine already does? I mean it only has the white/red RCA plugs....mine has that 2 but its still only mimicing the effects of 5.1 correct?

7. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Nope, if you look at the back photo, it has multi channel inputs for a DVD audio player, or, or a soundcard multi channel analog :):):)

Trust me, if you get that and hook it up to your soundcard, you're effectively using the soundcard's DAC, so sound will be awesome. It will destroy any computer speakers... :)

regards,
    Ragdoll.

8. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    Always takes two. Sometimes we need to bend. Its always worth fighting for. Going on over 30y.

9. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    Get a used Xonar DX or D1 sound card, off eBay.
    Or a used Creative Labs Titanium (non-HD) sound card.