Tearing issues with RTSS in games

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by LumberJacques, May 28, 2015.

1. LumberJacques

LumberJacques Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 970, 4gb
    Hello,

First post here so excuse any excusable mistakes I make.
    I did a cursory search for this issues on the forums, as well as the internet in general but could not find much of value.

So I thought RTSS seemed neat and wanted to try it for The Witcher 3 and Killing Floor 2. Set it up, booted TW3, awesome smootheness. But there was noticeable screen tearing. Tried it with KF2 to make sure it wasn't just the game. Same thing.
    Tried different video options for the games and tried different options in Riva, but nothing helped.
    Does anyone have any idea what this might be?

Thanks for the help in advance!

2. dany

dany Guest

GPU:
    2x nvidia titan X
    Screen tearing happen because your monitor have a fixed refresh rate, and when using v-sunc off, the videocard don't care about the monitor, so when the monitor is drawing a frame, gpu send another one even if monitor don't have finished. You can google on the subject.

So if you use a fps limitter, you might see more tearing because you might have less fps than unlocked fps. When fps is high, tearing is less apparant generally.

Are you on a 60hz monitor? If you limit to 60fps on a 60hz screen, tear tend to stay longer on screen. Try 62 instead.