Steam Question: How can you use the same CD Key on another account?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by spunkyXL, Mar 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. spunkyXL

spunkyXL Guest

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    I sold a PC game on ebay (Lost Planet)..Dude who bought is saying he can't install it because the Key is under my Steam Account..How can I remove the CD Key from my account and transfer it to him? :confused:

2. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 6600 XT
    Can't. Steam-activated games are non-transferable. Sorry to say, looks like you ripped him off :leave:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  3. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    That doesn't make sense how did you sell it on ebay but still have it digitally on Steam? Or did you just install it from a disk and then activate it in steam??? more details

4. spunkyXL

spunkyXL Guest

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    yea, I installed it from the disc and activated through steam..guess I'll have to just give the guy a refund..o'weller...grrrr

5. WCASD

WCASD Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Yup, can't do anything about it.

6. proliferazor

proliferazor Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7950
    you could give him the user name password, unless you have more games on that account. Some people make a new steam account for every game they buy then sell the accounts after there done.

7. dshramek

dshramek Guest

just buy another copy on steam & give it to him as a gift.

8. G-Man

G-Man Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle 8800GTS 640MB
    I was under the impression that games could be regifted on steam, however i am too lazy to check.

9. WCASD

WCASD Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Nope, not possible.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    can't... you'll have to give him your steam account login details I'm pretty sure. You can only gift new games that you haven't bought, correct me if I'm wrong.

11. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    I think that you can buy a game as a gift, give it before install, but I not sure.

Also you can give him a game as a gift if you have two of them in the same acount, if you have HL2 and then you buy orange box you can give HL2 as a gift for example.

Guys, if you plan sell your Steam games you should create a Steam acount to every game, and pass name and pasword to the purchaser.

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    It's really stupid though come to think of it. I think there should be an "unregister" a game feature on steam where you can sell a game, pull it off your steam game list and let the buyer register it on his steam account. This should be a simple feature to add in the future, I'm surprised it's not been introduced yet.

13. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    Steam/Valve does not want you to sell the games after you bought and used it thats why they have never implemented it.

14. volors

volors Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    key once used cant be used again ....it gets activated and when steam check database and see games already registered it say key in invalid......
    now if u loose ur username password or get hacked ....then steam ask for tht cd key u used when registering....they check if it was on ur name email n stuff.they match n give ur acc back...had happened to many of my friends when they got there accounts hacked
    i got my acc. hacked too...couldnt get it back....cause my friend bought it online for me and i didnt activated on a retail game....and he forgot which card he used to buy it....
    so bought new game...well i had 2 games half life 2 and css on tht account ..both gone

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Sure, but how about Orange Box on consoles? you can buy it, play it then sell it... Surely, it's not fair.

16. WCASD

WCASD Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Okay, let's say your account gets hacked and the hacker unregisters all your CD keys?

All the more trouble for one feature which not too many are asking for in the first place.

17. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    To the OP; if you sold the guy a DVD version how is he unable to install the game? Surely he should still be able to install, just not register the game with Steam.

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Nah, I could get steam to reset the password and re-register the games, the hacker couldn't steal them or sell them only un-register which I could do easily after I get my account back.

19. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    I talking about the PC edition Steam I dont have any valve console games so I have no idea how they work

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I know, I'm just saying that PC gamers suffer in this case...