Does anyone know how to dump ROM from ATI Mobility Chipsets ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Devonic, Mar 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Devonic

Devonic Guest

GPU:
    Amd Radeon Mobility 5650
    Hi, i have a ATI Radeon 5650 Mobility and am trying to dump my ROM to patch framebuffers on OSX. I tried using GPU-Z but got a message saying that BIOS reading is not supported on this device. Does anyone have an idea as to how i can dump it ?

2. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

If you have a system BIOS that also has a BIOS editor available (there's something for Phoenix BIOSes), you can rip the VBIOS ROM from it. Not exactly an easy process though.

Perhaps you might have better luck with something under Linux, maybe like flashrom.

3. elya90

elya90 Guest

GPU:
    AMD MobilityRadeonHD 5650
    hey i have the same problem too!
    I have a notebook acer 7745g with ati mobility radeon 5650 and with os x on it. When i run it with an external vga display plugged, i can't fit the right resolution on it, the system detect it as a 4:3 display, instead of 16:9 as it is...so, if i select 1920x1080 (the native resolution of the vga monitor), i've got this:
    [​IMG]

i read around that i have to modify with a hex editor the vgabios, searching in hex codes the resolution 1920x1440 and replace 1440 with 1080...

1) do you think that this way i'm gonna fix this problem?
    2) if yes, how to dump and flash my vgabios? I dumped from osx with darwin dumper, but it can't flash anything...can you suggest me some other way, maybe some programs for linux?

I've tried from windows:
    - gpu-z (says "cannot reading bios on this device")
    - radeon bios editor (says "no ati card could be found. Try directly winflash, if win flash doesn't works try atiflash)
    - winflash (says: "error reading rom")
    - tried atiflash from bios, with a usb that emulated a floppy disk with win98 dos (it didn't find any rom to dump).

Obviously, i tried all this options as administrator.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  4. elya90

elya90 Guest

GPU:
    AMD MobilityRadeonHD 5650
    up! :pc1: