Ati Radeon 4570 Mobility Windows 8 can't install driver GPU "dead"??

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by geeds37, Feb 14, 2014.

1. geeds37

geeds37 Guest

GPU:
    radeon mobility 4570/ 512
    Hello everybody,

Well i have an Asus X5dad laptop with Ati Radeon 4570 Mobility on it. It had been running with Windows 8 for several months perfectly.

However a few days ago i started noticing artifacts on the screen when coming out of "turn off display mode". Then later while watching a video on internet > shut down > can't reboot > Bsod with either Critical process died or "21a" error.

Refreshing, auto repair, etc had no result, could not boot in safemode... I then formatted drive C and tryied to reinstall windows (the same that was running previously). Got stuck at "getting devices ready" (black screen / shutdown). Tryied to unplug all usb devices, disable devices in Bios, "disable driver signature force boot"... Nothing.

Finally i tryied with Windows 8.1. I Could install, log on etc... then when installing the GPU drivers > shutdown, > cant reboot, same Bsod errors, need to reboot in safemode and go back to "microsoft basic display driver". I've been trying many versions of the drivers, catalyst 13.4 13.1 12.6 11.6 12.4... even the vga driver from asus's website recommended for my laptop... always the same problem... the diver gets installed, the resolution changes (so i think= it worked) then 2 seconds and shut down... also i can add that when the driver gets installed i hear the "new device connected sound" then 2 seconds after i hear the "device disconnected sound".

I've already spent 2 days on this reviewing the forums.. could it be that my graphic card is "half dead" so it can not work with anything else than the basic drivers? is that even a thing??

Thank you in advance for your help,

Cheers

2. geeds37

geeds37 Guest

GPU:
    I can add that with 12.6, the shut down did happen but it restarted normally, at least the first time (new drivers active, could get into games, no bugs...) then when restarting again on my own, the problem happened again...

3. ibitato

ibitato Guest

artifacts is usually VRAM gone bad because of heat

4. geeds37

geeds37 Guest

GPU:
    Thanks for your answer,

So maybe i should see them when running any "heavy video app" ? The thing is i have not seen them since my formatting and windows 8.1 install... even when trying games... (when, before a restart, everything seemed to be fine with the 12.6 catalyst).

Could a faulty Vram crash the whole thing when installing the drivers but still being able to do anything (that can be done) with the basic microsoft drivers?

Thanks in advance.

5. ibitato

ibitato Guest

Latest legacy drivers for that card can be found here :
    http://support.amd.com/es-xl/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy2&os=Windows+7+-+64#

Keep the laptop higher on ground with a pen or something so air flows better underneath
    or buy a cooling platform

if it's faulty VRAM due to heat,the longer you play the hotter it gets the higher chances
    you have to get problems

I do have an asus laptop with a 4650 card (sightly higher perf than yours) but I keep
    the laptop on top of a cooling platform and the laptop itself (its a big one) has really
    good cooling

If I where you, id keep those drivers and keep an eye on temps

6. geeds37

geeds37 Guest

GPU:
    Hi ibitato,

I just tryied out the 13.9 drivers from your link... same result, crash at installation (2 seconds of "better resolution" and then nothing... all this with the "device connected/device disconnected" sounds...

About the temperature, the problem is the laptop is already high on ground, like 20 cm high on a kind of grid... and these display problems only happened for a few seconds, when getting out of "turn of display mode" so basically when the computer was not used... so i really don't get it...

Cheers

7. ibitato

ibitato Guest

then you need to keep the drivers from your laptop vendor
    sometimes they put propietary stuff on the drivers
    drivers from amd are eneric and not guaranteed to work 100%

anyway,try this:

[​IMG]

8. geeds37

geeds37 Guest

GPU:
    Hi,

I tryied the AMD auto detect with the same result... As well as the Asus website drivers...

Now i'm thinking about that "recovery" partition which is on my HD... would there be any way to get the first original drivers from this partition? like somehow "exporting" these recovery files to the partitions that i can access. I read a tutorial on how to do it but only for Samsung laptops, with Samsung software... is there something similar for Asus?

Thanks in advance...

9. onemoar

onemoar Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060SC @2250/4550
    dead gpu is dead
    no amount of fiddling with software or reinstalling drivers/os is gonna bring is back
    sadly: time to start looking for a new laptop or even a desktop ..:banana:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  10. geeds37

geeds37 Guest

GPU:
    Yep Onemoar... after the tons of drivers i've tryied i think its time to face the reality... At least i've learned how to unhide/access/browse the recovery partition (to get the 1st original drivers, which did work for other people, obviously not for me).

Anyway i am not a gamer (which is obvious, seeing my hardware) just wanted to persevere in having things work the way they should have... Guess i'm gonna have to stick to 1024*768 for now...

Thanks to you all,

Cheers

11. geeds37

geeds37 Guest

GPU:
    I believe the answer is no, but just in case... with my dead gpu and just microsoft basic display drivers, would there be a way to still force the screen resolution to change? (other than 1024*768)...

12. ibitato

ibitato Guest

nope

13. geeds37

geeds37 Guest

GPU:
    Hi again,

I had dropped the resolution changing thing. However, why is it possible for Ubuntu to display at 1360x when Windows can't? (i have a dual boot but just repaired it today so i had not checked before)... Maybe some of you have an answer??/
    Cheers

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    memory allocation. reballing GPU is likely to help.
    if you have heat gun, you can try heat gpu to around 280C while having around some barriers preventing it from sliding to side.

15. ibitato

ibitato Guest

generic drivers from windows and linux are different
    your card is bag,and when the system steps on the bad memory segment, it will give you BSOD or artifacts.
    Using low resolutions probably it's keeping you from using all VRAM, but it¡s a matter of time to completely go bad