275.33 vsync 1/2 refresh rate

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by eef, Jun 3, 2012.

1. eef

eef Guest

GPU:
    g.skill 1600 8gb
    Hello,

Im using nvidia cards already for many years and im always happy with them.
    But my question is about the drivers. They work perfect for all games no mather which new version comes out it keeps improving, except in fsx.

I use my custom build pc only for fsx like there are many more that do.

There is no game like fsx that requires so much configuration to make it run smooth and have a excellent IQ quality at the same time. Note that it is dx9.

Fsx requires quite a high level AA to stop the jaggies and shimmer.

The best driver for that was 275.33 clear steady picture no jaggies shimmers etc.

But with the newer drivers there is a lot more shimmer and jaggies with every driver say; above 280, but the performance is better. So I think nvidia lowerd the quality to gain more fps. Or changed the method which works wonderfully in other games dx11 except fsx.

On the other hand, with the newer 3xx series drivers that has adaptive vsync we can set it to 1/2 refresh rate in nvidia controlpanel that makes fsx absolutely completely smooth. With also 30 fps locked in the fsx.cfg.

Now do most people sacrifice the shimmer for smoother gameplay, Beause they also can't run a higher AA level.

But I thought I could always try to ask if there is a way to combine the drivers or implant the vsync function in the 275.33 driver. I did already compared the .infs myself but couldnt find why the 275.33 has the best picture without any shimmer or jaggies with the same settings in nvidia control panel / inspector, and how the new vsync funtion is implanted in the 3xx series.

Thanks,

Eef.

2. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    This feature probably wasn't implemented until r300 drivers.

Try MSI Afterburner to limit FPS to 30 or below. Increasing maximum pre-rendered frames could also help with smoothness.

Not sure if D3DOverrider works, but it might be worth a try.

3. eef

eef Guest

GPU:
    g.skill 1600 8gb
    Yes that's correct but if someone has enough skills could he then implent or change something? I mean only the 1/2 , 1/4 refresh rate function. The tear control is just set to standard. Or another possibility is that I would like to know what nvidia has changed that ive have many jaggies and shimmers with almost every driver except 275.33 and copie that settings to the newer ones that has the vsync option.

4. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Not in the driver. This is probably another job for d3d injection.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Have you considered using FXAA?

6. eef

eef Guest

GPU:
    g.skill 1600 8gb
    Yes I have, but fxaa blurs out the sharp picture. The AA setting that now is generly used is 8xS with 2x SGSAA.

As for the d3 overrider of limit with afterburner that does not make it smooth in fsx.

We all know that fsx is coded very badly. But we have to live with that.

The only time it is almost completely smooth is when for example the refresh rate is 60hz and you can also constanly maintain 60 fps.

But nobody can.. So thats why I love the new function where I can set it to 1/2 = 30 hz and also maintain 30 fps locked in fsx = completely smooth.

7. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Technically your refresh rate is still 60 Hz, but a new frame is only presented every other refresh, which cuts FPS in half (similar to double buffered vsync).

8. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    have you tried enabling triple buffering? its in control panel or nvidia inspector. Not sure but it might help with what your trying to do.

Also like someone said you might need a 3rd party program like MSI afterburner to limit the fps. Not that many people can modify drivers like you are asking... and most of them work for Nvidia or ATI lol

9. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    The triple buffering option in the Nvidia driver is for OpenGL and therefore will not affect D3D9 applications.

If you're looking for a solid 30 FPS lock, double buffering should do just fine.

10. eef

eef Guest

GPU:
    g.skill 1600 8gb
    thanks for the replies.

@rewt How can I activate double buffering? Can I use it in fsx?

11. rotux

rotux Member

GPU:
    GTX460 1GB
    Double buffering is always used when triple buffering is not active.