980 ti SLI High Temps

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Mr Terry Turnip, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Hey,

I understand the top card is gonna be hotter but it's way hotter.

may I ask what is safe temps for these cards?

Under load the bottom card has fantastic temps but the top one can hit around 80-85C :/ 20C+ hotter

2. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It's basically what TKs top card hits, it's normal.

But, you can set a more aggressive fan profile, they're very quiet even at high rpm, it's what I love about these Super Jetstreams, they're very well built.

Once I'm home I'll give you my fan profile. That could solve your problem more or less, or ease the situation on the temps there... make sure u have enough airflow too though in ur case.

And to answer your question, 85c is pretty safe. So if you hit that as max it's ok, but lower is always better.

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I leave mine at 85c temp limit. Top card can get there pretty regularly, bottom 72c max. Run aggressive fan profile.

4. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    I'd say those temps are safe, but not ideal, you'll get a few MHz of throttling probably.

I've had a lot of hot running cards in SLi, you really need great airflow in your case, get a fan blowing between the cards from front to rear, should help things.

5. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yup mine get pretty hot and initially when I first install them the top card was about 15-18C hotter. However I noticed when I was looking at the Afterburner GUI the bottom card was running a lot more voltage compared to the top card. When I checked the ASIC values later I saw my bottom card had a much lower ASIC value.

Top Card = 1.13v (83.1% ASIC) [Highest Temp: 90C]
    Bottom Card = 1.19v (72% ASIC) [Highest Temp: 74C]

My guess as the bottom card ran more voltage it would also create heat which naturally would rise to the top card making it run hotter. Probably didn't help the backplates get soo hot and heat up the air between the cards too.

After seeing the extremely hot temps I decided to swap positions of my 2 cards. Moving the higher ASIC card to the bottom slot. The higher ASIC card runs less voltage and in turn doesn't run as hot.

This actually reduced the temps on both cards down to around 72-78C on both cards! Now there is usually only 2-3C difference in temps between the top and bottom card.

6. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    no doubt they will get hot, especially in sli, and overvolted, seems very normal in your case as heat rises. only fix is watercooling xD.

7. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    Great stuff guys appreciated.

Stupid question but could I move my bottom card to a lower PCI-E slot thus creating a larger gap??

Naturally I will have to purchase a longer SLI BRIDGE but that's fine.

8. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    if it is the same pcie gen and speed, id give it a try, cant imagine it making a huge difference though

9. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    My cards are fat.

If it's gonna work it will defo help temps, I mean even if it makes 5C diff that's huge - 78C or 83C for example, that would be a solid worth while change

10. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    well then its worth a try for sure

11. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    That bottom slot is likely a max of PCIe 4x, you'll want to check that before you move it.

I'd try just swapping the positions of the 2 cards though, I was surprised that made a rather big difference for me. Also added a side intake fan on my case dropped my temps another 6-8C!

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Why dont you just look into getting a custom water cooling setup and say goodbye to stupidly high temps and noisy fans?

RPGamesplayer was selling some custom components very cheaply here around a week ago. The money he was asking for the components was was well worth the asking price.

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    But iirc his parts are sold already :D

14. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I know this is about 980s but still applies.

If I dont use custom fan profiles for my 780s.

my top card goes past 90c.

but I only even hit those temps when downsampling at higher resolutions.

if I stay at 1080p my temps stay around 85c without custom fan profiles.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    After all they are huge cards that need a lot of cooling so those temps are pretty normal. Nothing to worry about.

16. Tuoni

Tuoni Guest

GPU:
    Denise
    It does make a huge difference.

I changed my Titan X SLI setup from being in the two PCIe x16 slots to the top card being in the first PCIe x16 slot and the second card in the bottom PCIe x8 slot on my motherboard to get maximum spacing between them.
    Temperature of the top card dropped 12c with a less aggressive fan profile. I have AC Xtreme III coolers on my cards btw.
    Only "issue" for me was that it was not all that easy to acquire a 140mm SLI bridge. From an "audiophile's" point of view it might not be ideal to have the Essence STXII between two Titans but hey i don't hear the difference.

17. xeph

xeph Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 1480/7200
    wow that is a great drop. i would say to the op then go ahead and do it