dwm.exe high cpu usage Windows 10

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by gijs007, Aug 1, 2015.

1. gijs007

gijs007 Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Sapphire R9 290
    I've recently done a fresh install of Windows 10 and I'm using the latest drivers from Windows Update.

I've noticed that GTA V stutters occasionally, and it appears that wdm.exe is using a lot of CPU (12% at times).

2. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    windows update??

at least install the 15.7.1 and then come back to moan

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Using 1046.2 myself :)

4. SjanaWilgani

SjanaWilgani Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB
    Same problem here

Just wanted to let you know that I have the same problem. Released Windows 10 Pro, latest version. DWM.exe starts sucking up 12% CPU after having the PC on for an extended period of time. (About 8 or more hours). Eventually after 3 days of being on it starts to suck even more CPU. This points to a memory leak in the process. So don't post a comment saying something stupid like "Update to blabla and come back to moan". If you have nothing of value to say don't say anything at all. Little kid.

5. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    It certainly sounds like some sort of memory leak. Sadly, I haven't had any of my Windows 10 systems run for more than a day, and haven't checked if Desktop Window Manager eats lots of memory. Right now it sits at 20.9 MB on my Desktop and 13.9MB on my laptop and doesn't seem to use up much CPU time either, but they are both on retail builds and the computers have only been running for a couple of hours.

Have you blocked apps that you don't need from running in the background? If not, you could try to do so in the Windows Privacy Settings and see if that helps, as well as other programs that might excessively hog the DWM.

You could also try some other drivers in case those are the culprit. The latest 15.7.1 drivers from the AMD website seem to work well for me, but others might help you as well.

You say you're running the latest version, so I assume it's one of the insider preview builds. Did it happen on the retail build (10240) or a previous post-retail insider build?
    If not, you might want to report the bug with that insider feedback feature and hope they'll fix it. Then you could to stop using the insider preview and roll back to that build (yeah, sorry, I know "Downdate blabla") and hope that fixes it.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I hope you guys get it sorted out.

6. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Also on Win10 here...Home Edition, though.
    Drivers are also from Windows Update.

DWM seems to work normally; no fluctuations whatsoever, considering the CPU I'm using.
    It stays under 3% for the most part.
    My laptop's practically on 24/7 and it's close to a week now from the last restart (from a Windows Update).

Was there any other application window open aside from the game when DWM CPU usage spiked?

As for 15.7.1 comparisons with Windows Update version, the only difference I've experienced is that Windows Update versions sometimes make some windows not following the DPI settings for fonts.
    Can't really 'feel' the difference in terms of performance because my laptop spec is relatively quite sh!te.

7. SjanaWilgani

SjanaWilgani Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB
    Sorry for the late response

I'm not on an insider build, I'm on the actual release version of Windows 10.
    And the problem still occurs.

I noticed something else.
    When Windows Media Player is running on Windows 10, even if it's not doing anything, it takes up a lot of CPU.
    My CPU is an intel i7-4790k, so there's no way it should take up that much of my CPU. I have 2 screenshots.

puu.sh/kTpso/75e7ff06de.png
    Windows Desktop Manager - High usage(Also often spikes to above 12%)

puu.sh/kTpu9/7718c4686b.png
    Windows Media Player which has been running in the background not doing anything, randomly spikes to 12%

This problem never happened to me on Windows 7, and this happens constantly on Windows 10.

Also, I noticed that when I run games in Borderless Windowed mode, Desktop Window Manager often takes up more CPU than the game itself, causing the game to stutter.

Again, sorry for the late response.

Yours,

Sjana.

PS: I can't post links apparently, so you'll have to add http in front of them.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  8. Seren

Seren Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  9. SjanaWilgani

SjanaWilgani Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB
    Thnx Seren, that worked for me.

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Hmm I have NP with WDM (it controls Explorer Window and Add. Pulpits etc.)
    I have P.Lasso and WDM have Hi priority
    Overall Windows_X Pro Retail uses in Idle no more 0.1-3%
    ATI CAT 15.10 Beta

11. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    it also control DX features of the desktop.

animations, etc...

12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yep :pc1:

13. SjanaWilgani

SjanaWilgani Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB
    Problem is back

The problem returned when I updated my AMD drivers.
    Using at least 5% at all times. Jumps to 15% for no reason.

puu.sh/lcU8s/3898eeec89.png
    puu.sh/lcUkk/6e1b95c380.png

It's getting on my tits because it makes all my games lag like ****.
    Windows 10 blows.

14. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    have you tried disabling aero and see what happens?

15. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    On Windows 10? Can it be done?

16. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    yes

setting to performance in advanced system setting (win-x/system) should turn them all off.

if you prefer, you can manually turn each item off in that same dialog.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  17. Seren

Seren Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    I've changed to 15.11 now, average CPU is a little higher at 1% and seeing some spikes over 3%. Maybe something else is triggering it, maybe video codecs?
    Your system process is also at a high CPU.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  18. N0bodyOfTheGoat

N0bodyOfTheGoat Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8GB
    The Windows 10 X-box app by default runs "Game DVR," which will increase CPU usage, tun it off via the app settings.

19. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Does that close the 3D WDM, or simply disables some effects? I believe it's more of the second case. I'll try it on the slow laptop here anyway.

That's a standard thing that should be done every time actually. I forgot to mention it. It's like having a hooking service running in the background all the time.

20. mysteriously

mysteriously Guest

Check Nvidia forums sections to find out if they have the same issue. If so, then this is the OS issue. If not, then probably drivers fault.
    I had DWM spikes up to 30% in idle on my crappy netbook :D
    On >=Win8 there is no simply way to disable DWM. Disabling it on Win7 improves performance.