SSD/Intel RST not working properly

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Dustin24, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Dustin24

Dustin24 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GT 750M
    A couple days ago my Y500 froze and windows would no longer boot. I tried various system repair options in the trouble shooting area it kept taking me too including bootrec, mbr fix, and chkdisk in the command prompt (chkdsk indicated errors on the c: drive which I repaired, but did not help my boot situation) . Finally after going into the BIOS and switching the ssd from AHCI to compatible I was able to get windows to boot, but much slower than normal. I ran cc cleaner, antivirus, and antispyware then in safe mode.

After all that the laptop seems to run fine other than the extremely slow boot time and when I look in task manager I notice Disk usage getting up to 100% quite often. I also noticed that Intel RST is not working. From what I understand Intel RST is stored on the ssd and used for caching data which makes the laptop run faster, but everything else stored on the ssd seems to be working properly as far as I can tell. I can still only boot windows with the ssd set to compatible in the bios. So what I'm wondering if this is all being caused by an issue with ssd itself or if it's an issue that can be resolved by reinstalling Intel RST somehow. I've pretty much exhausted my computer knowledge/capabilities to even get myself to this point so any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dustin

Note: I'm running Windows 8.1 with the modified BIOS released by Lenovo so the gt750m sli card would be recognized.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Should be under warranty still.....take it into Lenovo. But before you do, get a smart report using HDD Tune or similar.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    How exactly?

And RST is SATA controller drivers + UI app. It could stop working after you switched SATA mode from AHCI to IDE.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014