Asrock BIOS and 3200 mhz! ram

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Deleted member 268800, May 20, 2017.

1. Sorry for my English ^^,

Finally I got this ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 motherboard, but yeah the manual was kinda confusing, when comes to set properly the RAMS I ended up putting my viper kit dual channel 2x4 gb , into the socket A2, B2 I upgrade sucessfully my bios from 1.40 to latest 2.5. But I'm facing a problem, it seems that when I activate the Xmp 2.0 profile 1, it will slow down the boot time like crazy, and my cpu fan start to: turn on/off automatically ...

So i was wondering what can i do? should i overlock manually?

PCSPECS:

GPU: EVGA GTX 580 NVIDIA 1.5 GB
    PSU: Thermaltake 775+bronce 80
    CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 3.2
    RAM: Patriot Viper 3200mhz 2x4 GB model PV48G320c6k
    CASE:Thermaltake v9 black edition

PS: Also I've notice a downgrade in
    sound performance, compared to my old intel H55m-e33, which i don't have gaming headset, anyway hope someone can guidance me in order to fix or improve a little be the Ryzen experience among my old gtx 580 and new rams.. and also if someone can teach me to boost my SOUND, the creative 3 is ridiculous useless, it doesn't improve anything. Thanks

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    B350 boards aren't really designed for 3200mhz

You'll probably need to run 2666 or around there with manually set timings.

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

If you're running the latest Realtek drivers it may be better. Keep in mind the B350 chipset based boards are intended more of a budget orientated board but with usable features, so like pretty much every other manufacturer it suffers in some features. In this case it is the sound, using the old ALC892 CODEC rather than the recent ALC1220 (which replaced the ALC1150, which was higher end than the ALC892). Your old board used the ALC889 CODEC.

Technically it seems that ALC1220 replaced the ALC1150 which replaced the ALC889. ALC892 appears to be a lower cost variant of ALC889, the lower cost which is why it is probably still used.

Discussed a bit in this old thread on whirlpool forums:
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1737847

So yes, your new motherboard technically has lesser sound than your old board, with the ALC892 being common on budget orientated boards. Some low end boards from Asrock, Gigabyte, etc use ALC887, which I believe is below the ALC892. This is true for their B350 boards, for example http://www.gigabyte.com.au/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-DS2-rev-10#sp. It seems for Gigabyte they all use ALC887 if you look through the list.

It all comes down to the budget board factor. If you want vastly superior sound probably the cheapest board you can get is the Asrock X370 Fatal!ty Gaming K4, which not only uses the ALC1220 but has superior sound infrastructure as well. Remember the CODEC is just the engine, analogy wise there's also the consideration of the transmission and the rest of the vehicle. The implementation of this on the X370 board is superior. Not all x370 boards implement the higher end sound, but Asrock, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI all have decent x370 that aren't their top models that have equivalent high end implentations using the ALC1220.

For RAM, the reason why it doesn't work comes down to RAM timings. you are famility with the 15-15-15-35 etc, but there are a whole lot of other timings that don't get adjusted that affects the attainable speed. At the moment when you overclock RAM, you are effectively going tighter and tighter on these secondary settings. This is why you have to add so much voltage to the RAM for it to be stable when overclocking it, being anything above the JEDEC speed. The XMP profiles are proprietory Intel, it's not a standard. This is why AMD is adding 20 registers (I believe that is 20 additional timing adjustment options), and the reason for the delay is that it had to be reverse engineered. When you set XMP in the future, it will set all the correct timings for the speed, not just the primary timings. This should greatly improve the speed attainable, whilst using standard voltage, although the timings may behave slightly differently with the different chipset that could throw this out (you may manually have to adjust one or two of those settings...).

The major bios update should be available within the next couple of weeks or so.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2017
  4. Also is weird, whenever I try to increase memory mhz from 2133 to 2400 or even highger .. the boot time becomes more slow and slow and unstable.. even if i set timings auto, or voltage to 1.350 x.x and... i'm running last bios 2.50 x.x seems like i would need to wait till new ryzen update....

Thanks everyone .

5. Krillers

Krillers Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX oc2060
    I had the same problem, just got a Ryzen 1600x and a Asus b350 prime plus and couldnt run more than 2133 mhz.

I booted into the Asus bios and set dram voltage to 1.35 (instead of "1.20" and another setting (vpp ram voltage?) which I increased slightly by pressing the "+" key.

Then I choose the "dhcpp" profile for the ram and choose one of the profiles (mine was dhcpp 3000 17,17,17 or something..) and under the dhccp-setting, I choose ddr4 "2400" mhz a better fan-profile "turbo" and saved the bios-settings.

If the PC boots into windows, try the next mhz for the ddr4 ram f.ex. "2660" and so on.

It worked for me with Asus bios vers. 606, but I had to increase mhz slowly. Which is abit weird.

6. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    The recent bios let me oc some, and I have micron memory chips. Might want to give it a look.

[​IMG]

7. Bro glad to see you here, yeah i manage to solve the 3200 with the XMP profile 2.1 by using the last Agesa 1.006 it worked

But i have a question my friend, as i see, you have the same motherboard than me, my question is: Do you have mouse lag in bios and windows?

Because my mouse is way to lag in BIOS.. and in windows i have like visual lag. i also open here a thread by asking for help in amd

wish i guess the culprit can be either my gpu or psu
    https://community.amd.com/thread/217179

But yeah to me is very important to ask you, if you have some input lag in bios or windows% with that motherboard? thanks alot

8. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    Sorry for taking so long to respond. No, I do not have mouse lag in windows or the bios.

It is rare but a bad power supply will cause your computer to lag.

Make sure you are running the latest chipset drivers. It can make a difference too.

EDIT: The new chipset drivers also include the new AMD power plan too.

9. Is okay buddy glad you reply
    are you sure because in bios the mouse cursor seems sluggish, also i have some visual lag

I do have a PSU ThermalTake ToughPower 775 Watts +80 bronze i bought this in 2011 lol i opened to check the capacitors and if i remember they were fine

So yeah i was wondering maybe it can be my psu, how can i sure about if my psu is doing fine? are there softwares or something? could you record your bios screen?

Another question, have you tweaking your bios? in that motherboard i would love to know what tweaks can help, i really want to learn :)

10. lcj82

lcj82 Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1050ti
    Why?

11. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    The mouse moves slow in UEFI for me too, but i think the dpi setting is just real low. I don't think it has anything to do with actual lag. I just use the keyboard, since i'm used to using a bios.

It's hard to diagnose a bad power supply, but the best thing to do is too benchmark your pc and see if your scores are about the same as similar pc's. A fast and easy benchmark would be cinebench or cpuz.

3dmark firestrike takes a little longer to download and run, but that also gives you a combined score with a load on the cpu and gpu that will stress your power supply. If the scores are relatively low or the pc crashes, it might be the power supply.

Trying to diagnose a bad power supply is tricky because you might get a good dc voltage reading, but you might have a/c ripple coming threw. Capacitors may look good, but could be bad internally. Inductor coils might short out internally. Also the power supply may act differently under load and at idle. Either the operating frequency may change or the thermal expansion on the coils/chokes and capacitors may start causing issues.

EDIT: forgot to mention, make sure your OS drive is plugged into the southbrige and not the asmedia controller. The asmedia controller is a little slower. ASrock had the ports listed incorrectly in the manual. If you installed the chipset drivers you should just be able to shut down the pc and move the cable over withount any issues. Don't forget to shut off HPET.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  12. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    Before the agesa 1006 update, most of the boards running 3200mhz were x370 boards. Most of the high-end manufacturers were running/offering beta bios to help improve memory overclocking. Guess what boards got the beta bios for overclocking first ... X370 boards.

13. Yeah tomorrow i will be starting to test all with cynebench+fire3dMark to see what really happens, and i will put here results

Now with the SSD thing, i realize that, if I plug my SSD in the SATA3_3 In bios it will appeared like: M2_2/OCZVERTE3, but if connect my SSD to the sata port SATA3_4 it will remains as (OCZ/vertex3) only, so I dont know which one is better i just leave on SATA3_3

Picture:
    [​IMG]

Picture 2
    [​IMG]

hope we can keep here the topic or through private or anyplace i really want to fix this problem, the visual lag is reall i have a Youtube-Video, showing my problem with at least counter strike 1.6 recorded with iphone 4s, because if i record with FRAPS or any recording software you wont notice the problem, neither me, because im telling you this is so true :( and ugly...

LINK
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ3atFSq90I

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2017
  14. did the firestrike, but with my gtx 580, tomorrow ill get a gtx 1060 to see if that was the problem

Picture:
    I disable the SMT and HPET, because SMT isnt necessary at all.
    [​IMG]