Help me choose my GTX 1080

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by kosie, Jul 19, 2016.

1. kosie

kosie Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB OC
    Hello,

So I need some help choosing something here, these are my options:

ASUS ROG Strix 1080 OC Edition - there's about a 4 week wait if not more
    ASUS ROG Strix 1080 Non-OC Edition - this card is now in stock

I've been waiting for a good 5 weeks and the wait is still long for the OC version of the Strix. I've had my heart set on it but I'm seriously over waiting and just want to get this new PC already.

Question is, will there be much of a difference between the 2 cards? I know the OC edition will boost performance and FPS by about 9-12 FPS I beilive but is that the only real difference?

I'm now starting to consider maybe getting 2x 1080s (non-OC) and SLIing them to run 4K but I seriously think that is more than just overkill at the moment. What should I do, wait or just get the standard ROG Strix?

2. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    You could get the non OC edition and just OC to whatever the OC edition's specs are.

3. kosie

kosie Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB OC
    This is what someone else said to me, in terms of hardware, fans etc on the GPU istelf, are they the same? I'm just concerned that if I OC it, cooling may be an issue?

4. nateluthje

nateluthje Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    I have Asus ROG Strix 1080 x 2 sli (non-oc edition) and I have found that they have EXCELLENT cooling. Cards rarely go above 70 degrees under full load (even when OC'd to 2.1ghz on gpu). Stable at around 69 degrees.

As for performance, with 1 1080 running I can run MOST games (Witcher 3, BF4) at 4K ultra settings 45+ FPS. If you have a g-sync compatible monitor, this runs as smooth as silk. With the 2 cards in SLI It has no problem running everything 60fps+ ultra, but as I discovered 2 cards is PROBABLY overkill. (and VERY expensive)

Hope this solves your conundrum.

5. kosie

kosie Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB OC
    That sounds good, I think I'll just get the non-OC edition so I can finally get my hands on my new PC. There's always room to overclock the GPU if required but I feel like it's probably not necessary, not yet anyway. For the sake of losing 8-12 (if that) FPS I think I'll do it.

I'm looking at pairing it with the ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 165Hz IPS Gaming Monitor

6. Han2K

Han2K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 GX

You can even flash you card with the OC bios, because the clocks set in bios are the only difference between the oc and non-oc SKU.

7. kosie

kosie Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB OC
    Good to know, thanks!

8. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    IMO nothing is like to have a card with high clocks "out the box". Without fiddling with oc apps, bios, fan curves and all that crap.
    I would wait for the fastest "stock" card. Just my 2 cents .