Gigabyte 1080 G1 Gaming SLI voltage control

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Bloodred217, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    Hello, about a week ago I bought 2 Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080s and I've been trying to find the maximum stable OC that I can get. I've run into a bit of a problem however: voltage adjustment doesn't seem to do anything.

I've tried the same settings with +0% and +100% voltage, but under load the voltage isn't higher at all with +100%, it stays around 1.06V or slightly lower and the setting doesn't seem to do anything. I haven't had NVIDIA cards since the 8800s, so I'm not sure if this is how they normally boost or what, but after having a look at the clock/voltage curve in advanced OC settings, I see that it goes up to 1.25V.

Does anyone know if this is "normal" or expected behavior? Anybody else with 1080s see this sort of thing? If it's some sort of voltage lock from Gigabyte's side, I can still return the cards until next Tuesday (no questions asked).

For the record, I tried adjusting voltages with Gigabyte's own utility as well as with AB in "third party" mode.

I'd appreciate any input, since I'd really like to return them if this is a Gigabyte-specific issue.

2. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    Thanks for the info, IIRC the curve is indeed flat after ~1.05V. I'll give it another try later today. Sorry if this has been asked again, I had skimmed the 1080 thread but managed to miss the info on the curve. Power target was always maxed (108% on these cards, I think the stock limit must be higher).

LE: Well, after trying the OV control at stock speeds I can see that it does work in lightweight games like Overwatch with a 70FPS cap, but under actual load (tried Valley at 4K 8x AA and TW3) the cards won't go over 1062mV. I can only assume that this must be due to some power limit.

Still, if there's anyone around with an actual G1 Gaming 1080 I'd love to hear how it behaves. Maybe I should just return them and try to get cards with more than 1 8 pin power connector.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  3. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    I can read the power consumption as an actual absolute value, in watts? I know I can read the TDP %, but that doesn't tell me what the actual TDP is set at, I don't know if these cards have the same limits as the FE or not.

After some more testing with Valley, the primary card is almost always power capped, while the secondary one is capped due to SLI, I assume that means it's just keeping to the same clocks. I can only increase the power limit to 108%, what I'd like to know if these cards at 108% are actually set at the same TDP as FE 1080s at 120% or if it's actually lower, since I've been burned with limits like that on Gigabyte cards before and if they did it again with these cards I'd rather give some other company my money.

4. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    Yeah that's what I thought, sadly I don't have the equipment required to measure PCI-E slot & power connector current directly.

Thanks for the link, that article looks really interesting if the numbers they're giving out are real. 216W is what I expected, so that wouldn't be too bad. If that's the case the hassle of replacing them with a different model wouldn't be worth the extra 1-3% performance I'd get in actual games.

5. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    I'm getting the same sort of draw in actual games, yeah. TW3 even drops under 90% power sometimes, since I play with VSync enabled. I'll do some more research and testing but it looks like getting cards with more power wouldn't bring me that much real-world benefit. I was worried Gigabyte might've lowered the maximum power draw under 216W for their "cheaper" model.

6. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Honestly I wouldn't worry about your voltage, what clocks are you getting?? Pascal handles voltage/clock frequency a bit differently compared to previous generations.

This review covers GPU Boost 3.0 very well: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/15

If your hitting over 2000Mhz or higher you're already ahead of the game... i had one card that would start artifactting at +20Mhz offset, so I returned one of my cards.

I did find something weird with the way SLI is handled though. Put the card that runs lower default voltage into your Primary (Top) PCIe slot. Not sure why but this got higher overclocks compared to having it in the lower slot.

7. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    I'm getting up to ~2050-2060MHz with settings that don't crash after a few hours of TW3 (at 4K), but more realistically they usually hover around 2000 +/- 25, so nothing too amazing but not terrible either, I guess.

I haven't tried swapping the cards around or testing them individually yet, haven't even had a full week-end of tweaking so far due to work getting in the way, but that's definitely something I want to do to see if I can squeeze a bit more out of them.