New soundcard

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Ryu5uzaku, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I've been wondering between Asus Strix, Devil HDX, Essence STX II or Creative ZxR.

GenClaymores review of the Strix was good.

But coming from Auzentech Meridian 7.1 2G I am at loss which would be a good replacement. I will take my opamps from that one and incorporate to the new soundcard.

It's been forever I've even thought about it but my next build most likely won't have pci slot so I am out of luck then :/

Any suggestions ideas? I don't really fancy a usb sound card on my table either.

2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Are you using both headphones and speakers and if so are the speakers stereo or 5.1/7.1. If they are 5.1 or higher and since your an op-amp roller, the strix wouldn't be for you as you may want to change the op-amp of each different channel in your speaker setup, Since the Strix op-amp like I mention in the review is just for the headphone's and Front L&R.

The ZXR and the STX II if it's the 7.1 model will allow you to do that with each speaker as they both have an op-amp socket for all the channel's besides an separate one for the headphone's out.In the end it will come down to what has the features that you are looking for.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  3. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Hmmh the strix raid dlx seems to have 3 op-amps that one can change so I guess that will have for all channels like stx 2 and ZxR but lacks a changeable headphone op-amp. I think the stx and ZxR might be the ones to go for then.

Gotta ask then again a good op amp for bass. I've actually forgotten my op amps so I need to check em today :D I know some of them were not cheap at all.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  4. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I just purchased a set of the ATH-AG1x headphones, connected to my Xonar Phoebus. While it sounds great, I'm not getting enough volume no matter the settings etc. Will the Strix be a better card for my new headphones? Is my Phoebus a bit long in tooth? Thanks Gen.

5. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I know this might be an silly question but did you check to control box, it has an volume slider on it. I didn't notice it at first in the photos of the AG1X, I had to look closer.

The Headphone and the Front Speakers share the same op-amp, so if you change it for the Headphones, your also changing it for the Front Left and Right speakers. Its an shared op-amp socket,which depending on the type of headphones and speakers that one is using at the same time, it can be good or bad based on that.

6. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Yes I did see, and use the volume slider on max. I also have windows etc. volume controls at max.

7. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Did you try to raise the headphone amp setting from low to medium. Your sound card has an headphone amp,But your issue is very odd, you shouldn't be having any volume issues. Also if you are using the breakout box for the phoebus, you tried plugging it directly into the card instead of the break out box.

Unless there something wrong with the sound card it self. Because the last Audio Technica I had was the A900X which your headphone's are an improve model off, which didn't have any volume issues with the sound card, Unless your Headphones are a lot different then i think. If nothing else works then the Strix would be an cheap option for you, since ebay usually have deals on them used.

8. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I've done everything you have suggested, but no way I can get the volume as high as I think I should be able to. All other headphones I own, can output a volume loud enough to be uncomfortable. I would never have the volume "uncomfortably" high when gaming or listening to music etc., but the ATH's just don't get louder than "just loud enough" when gaming. Maybe it's a faulty set of headphones. I'll have to contact Audio Technica support and see what they have to say. Thanks again Gen.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Weird, those AG1X are a low impedance headphone, they should be loud enough almost regardless of what you plug them into.

10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Yeah. I remembered something like that they usually share the same op-amp. I think the Raid DLX might actually have 5 op-amps in total.

I had 2 OPA627's and then 2 cheaper ones on my card which I already forgot :D Going to order maybe 6 op-amps to test the other channels actually.