Shopping For RAM, Old Machine, Quick Question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mulsiphix, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Guest

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    I'm using the machine in my profile specs. I need to upgrade RAM. I have a dual-channel memory mobo (XFX nForce 750i). The manual states the following:

Since I cannot locate the same make and model of RAM as before (3GB GeIL DDR2-800Mhz), I need to buy all new sticks. Plus, my mobo tops out at 8GB and I've been using 3GB all this time. I'd like to fill it out. Can't afford a new PC just quite yet. It has been a long time since I built this PC. I built it as a gaming PC years ago. Now I rarely game and use it for work. This said, is there any reason I shouldn't go and purchase some cheap RAM, versus the $100+ name brand? I was considering this or this or this. Thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
  3. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
  4. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Guest

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW

5. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    Or, try to find a small PC repairs place, they are bound to have plenty of old sticks lying around that they will sell for next to nothing.

P.S. Always a good idea to make friends with these places, I have a small place near me and we have become good friends, anything there is mine for either cost price or free. I make his ejuice for free in a kind of payback. Just silly stuff like connectors or spare cables can add up if you have to buy them normally.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  6. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
  7. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
  8. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Guest

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    The eBay guy I purchased the RAM from has finally refunded my money. No explanation, but I'm back to looking for memory. I've now found this on eBay. I see that it ships new from Hong Kong, seems unlikely since it is so many years since it was originally released on the market, but other than that it will probably get the job done. Any reason why this wouldn't be a good idea? Keep in mind that I do not plan to do any overclocking.

Crucial 8GB 4X 2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800MHz 240PIN DIMM Desktop RAM Memory PC6400

If that isn't sufficient, the following options are available. Any one a better choice than the others?

1. 8GB G.Skill 4X2GB DDR2 PC2-6400 800 MHz 240p NON ECC DESKTOP F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
    2. G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 6400 SDRAM DDR2 800 Model F2-6400CL6D-4GBMQ
    3. 8GB (4 x 2GB) Corsair XMS DIMM 800 MHz PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM (CM2X2048-6400C5)

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  9. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Guest

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    Let me ask a different question. Of all the options in the above post, do you think any would provide greater performance for my system (in my stats to the left) than the other choices?

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Why are you looking at used DIMMs when the one's i showed in first post are brand new samsung chips for the same price?

Samsung is generally the best when it comes to compatibility.

Anyways the Gskill option 1 will be slightly faster by a few percent.. CL5 vs the rest that are CL6

CL = cas latency

Btw i would rather get 4gb x2 instead of 2gb x4 if possible.

11. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Guest

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    Honestly, it had slipped my mind. I admit that I only returned to ask a question, but did not re-read the thread. Foolish mistake on my part, long week, and I'm sorry about that. I wouldn't mind going with 4GB x2 at all. I'm looking through Komputerbay's stock on Amazon, though and I can't tell what an equivalent to the RAM you linked would be, in 4gb x2 form :gape:.

Thank you very much for your advice, time, and help Agent-A01. I sincerely appreciate it ;)

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
  13. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
  14. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    is your OS 64bit or 32?

15. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Guest

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    Thank you for this suggestion. Unfortunately I've had a couple of experiences with ATech brand before, and in both cases one of the sticks was DOA.

Sadly, I opted for 32-bit, as 64-bit was somewhat new and gaining support at the time. I've been avoiding reinstalling all these years, because my system is so customized it takes about a month just to reconfigure :nerd:

16. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    If you're running a 32 bit OS there's little point in upgrading to 8gb of RAM. Unless you're willing to update to a 64bit OS you simply wont be able to address the extra memory, you cap out at roughly 4gb on a 32 bit system.

17. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Guest

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    Crap, I forgot about that. I guess I will have no choice but to reinstall Windows. I really need the performance boost and the slowness I am experiencing (having trouble browsing) is likely related to my copy of Windows just needing a clean install.

I am very Windows savvy and can tell you that I keep my machine running in tip top shape. No viruses, software conflicts, or overload on system resources. But some programs, like web browsers, seem to bring my system to its knees. Despite the fact that Photoshop and other resource heavy programs still seem to work just fine. Thank you for bringing this to my attention Darkest :thumbup:.

18. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    If you're going to reinstall, it could be worth grabbing a cheap SSD to breath a little new life into your system. You wont get the full speed of one in a system that old, but it should be a noticeable difference.

19. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    ^^^ this

OP, also think about investing few bucks into some cheap OC'able quad-core that can bi fitted into that LGA775 mobo instead of old C2D you're using atm. My vote goes to LGA775 modded Xeon E5450 SLBBM E0 that can be OCed (from stock 3GHz) to at least 3.6GHz on any decent LGA775 mobo, most of them are going from 3.8 to 4GHz, on better LGA775 mobos better samples are going even higher than 4 or 4.2GHz, with some better heatpipe based CPU coolers of course. Those Xeon E5450 E0 can be found dirty cheap on Aliexpress for just $20 and so and they are even modded (cuts on right places + velded pins below, better than sticker) to fit LGA775 CPU socket. Make a note for seller to be sure it will send you E0 revision, ask for Costa Rica CPU's because with those there are higher chances to reach 4GHz marker. Bough few of these via Aliexpresy in past 2 years, last one in May 2016 when they were around $35 - $40, now samo ones are some $15 cheaper.

Flashing modded BIOS for that mobo of yours is also a good idea so that important CPU instructions (SSE4.1, VT-x...) could be propperly recognized by mobo (check those with CPU-Z after you flash modded BIOS and fit Xeon into CPU socket). Latest modded BIOS for that mobo can be found on:
    http://genius239239.myweb.hinet.net/771

So... 64bit OS, 4x 2GB DDR2 at least 800MHz (aim for DDR2 1066MHz CL5 1.8V-2V because if OC), cheap SSD ranging from 120GB to 256GB for OS and most used programs and of course modded (cuts + velded pins) Xeon E5450 SLBBM E0 OCed to at least 3.6GHz (every sample with right Vcore can run at 3.6GHz minimum) and it will breath new life into that old thrusty LGA775 system.

Good luck!