squeeze performance out of ultrabook

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by SentinelAeon, Apr 27, 2017.

1. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Heyo,

I am using latest hp stream 13 with N3050 cpu, 2gb ram and 32gb ssd (slower then normal ssds). Everything is soldered to mb, so there is no upgrade posibility. I also use microsd card for some extra storage for files i rarely need. I use windows 10 because there are no official drivers on hp page for windows 8.1 (otherwise i would use 8.1 since i like it better).

I use it for programming when i am in college, i like its awesome battery life (like 9 hours), i like the fact that it is thin and light, makes it easy to carry in my bag on my bike.

Since there are no upgrade posibilities or overclock posibilities my only choice is to tweak windows for some extra juice. CPU is very slow - even opening facebook or gmail makes it completely laggy - is there any special plugin to make it more bearable ? Also, right now i am running backend server (in eclipse), database server (mysql workbench) and frontend server (angular 2), and while the speed is bearable i keep getting low memory messages. I was wondering how to tweak windows 10 to get some extra memory out of it ? Maybe disable some useless services and processes ? Even 100mb freed ram would make a huge difference since right now i am at about 1,6/1,9 ram (84% of ram taken, but number rises sometimes)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    They are no tweaks that are going to make it a world of difference by an means but there are some tweaks that will help..

Besides that, have you considered using a linux distro?
    They can really help out slow/old PCs.

3. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    A bigger pagefile might help.

4. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    The only thing you can do is increasing the Core Clock with Throttlestop. The N3050 can reach 2.1Ghz+/-
    But your main limiting factor is RAM ! 2GB isn't enough for W10. A light Linux distro with perform much better on that setup.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017

5. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    What he said. RAM seems like your biggest concern. Turn everything you don't need off. Keep in mind of what you do turn off though, don't start blindly running tweaks.

6. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    I didn't read everything sorry :nerd:

7. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Linux is not an option. Cpu is already at 2.10 - 2.15Ghz most of the time, sadly it is so weak that doing basicly anything, even going to gmail will pump it to 100% for some time. Listening to a song on youtube even on 144p while doing something else like browsing, will make the song skip occasionaly. So i am pretty sure cpu is the weakest point right now.

I know ram is a weak point, but W10 seems good with managing it so i have about 300MB spare even with all those programs opened. I was thinking if anyone knows a page with some programs/processes i could disable (plus description) to get a few more mb out of it.

8. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
  9. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    It would seem that my processor doesnt behave like that. I checked both cores and they seem to hold steady at 2.1-2.15, the only time they probably downclock during load is when they reach certain temperature, which is ok since this laptop is passive.

Btw, i changed paging file setting from automatic to min 1gb, max 5gb setting and right now computer is using 200MB total commit (ram + page file), and i am not getting any warning of low memory. I am not sure why computer didnt do this when it was on auto ... but anyway it seems to be ok for now. Obviously this isnt a long term solution, buying a better laptop is. But for now i will remain humble and use this midget :)