MS will not charge for Windows 10 Updates

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 28, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    One of the most common questions we receive is if Microsoft is going to charge for updates to Windows 10. With Office 365 and many other software products from the company requiring on-going payments,...

MS will not charge for Windows 10 Updates

2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Good, cuz for a 250 Euro Retail i expect it to have all DLC included for the future.

3. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Haha! Great post.

I hope they'll revise the pricing, especially for the developing countries. In the most of US and Europe, Windows price isn't that bad, especially the OEM version. However there are quite a few countries, where this price would be comparable to the monthly salary of physical workers... well in fact it gets quite close even in Poland.

4. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Yes, Microsoft has said often and repeatedly that no, there will be no subscription model in the future, and that yes, OS patching and updates will remain free (as they've always been.)

The last time I paid $250 for a Microsoft OS (in the US) was when I bought Vista Ultimate back in '06 (or was it '07?) It always amuses me to hear people complain about the cost of an OS because the OS is the glue that holds the applications, games, and hardware together--and without an OS your computer is good for a desktop paperweight, or maybe an expensive planter box for tomatoes...;) IMO, $250 for something as critical as an OS and as useful, something that remains updated and useful for ~10 years past the purchase date comes out as the best buy *possible* in computer software, imo. (Some professional software costing thousands up front isn't updated as long or as well, etc., and usually requires an OS itself!)

I paid $150 for three Windows 7 Home Premium licenses; and then I paid $39.99 for Windows 8/8.1 (direct from Microsoft), and I'm going to pay $0 for Windows 10. Win8.1 never did get any cheaper than $39.99 (despite the belief by some that it would--they missed out), and it's for sure that Win10 will not get cheaper than $0, ever...;) I wonder if there will actually be a single person on earth who is eligible to move to Windows 10 for $0 who will refuse to do so...;) People are strange sometimes when it comes to paying for OS software (even when they don't have to pay for it to legally own it) without which all of their hardware and software would be completely useless...!

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Well,nothing beats "free".

6. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Win 10 already saved me a big bunch of bother...

My SSD died while visiting my sick father hundreds of miles from my home where I left my Windows 7 Pro instal disks (and key).

So already enjoying this Free OS in Beta form as I had no real choice and its pretty good :)

Still glad to hear they are not hiding any nasty little hidden futures. As long as I can keep upgrading bits of my hardware (something many of us Love doing) in the same way I can now with my retail copy of Win 7 Pro then I am Happy.

7. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    I've never paid 250 for an OS license. Our german courts have ruled that MS have to sell the OEM versions unbundled as well. So I got me a 120 € Vista Ultimate with upgrade to Win 7 Ultimate included. The upgrade to Windows 8 came at 30 €, 8.1 was free, 10 will be free. That's dirt-cheap, considering that that's a few years of coverage.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Got all my licenses from TechNet, sub ended just before Win 8, but got a couple keys from people I'd helped out with 7, now looks like that sub is going to keep me going strong with 10 too, not bad

9. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Since the main reason I will upgrade to Win 10 from 8.1 on this desktop is to get the DX 12 benefits, I may not upgrade my Win 7 Laptop which has a first generation Llano APU that will not be compatible with DX 12. I also have some older games and stuff on it that took a little work to even make work with Win 7.

I really have little interest in any of the other new features of Win 10 like Cortana and such and will not be using them anyway. DX 12 is the big reason to upgrade.

10. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    I am nit picking but what is considered a qualified Windows device? And how long is "the supported lifetime" of the device?

My opinion they still have not answered anything except for phones and maybe tablets. What is considered the lifetime of a desktop?

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it pays to be helpful you should go good for years

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    proably lifetime of the machine, till you replace parts, unless you have retail key

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    where did you find cost info?

14. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Reason was asking is that by GAAP, PCs are only allowed to be depreciated over 3 years max. ASUS warranties their mainboards for 3 years and the TUF series for 5. Roofs here in the US, a standard lifetime guarantee is only 25 years max; have seen for as little as 15.

15. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Eherm, this is uhh pure speculation but maybe you could uhh use a different form of currency to obtain windows and put that 250 towards hardware. :infinity:

16. 5gtBilko

5gtBilko Guest

GPU:
    GTX970
    Just remmember the old addage "nothing is ever really free". In the same way that Facebook is not really free. You don't necesserally have to pay for a service or an app up front. But you are giving your consent to the owners of said app to harvest your info and sell it on to others.
    Also I read on Tom Toms webpage that the expected lifetime of device is 2 years.
    That was in reference to "Free Lifetime Updates" You really do have to read the small print.
    I don't think MS is evil or cheating us in any way, but there is always a catch with a "something for nothing" deal.:banana:

17. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I think I may know a part of the answer... the new MS ecosystem of solutions for building Windows 10 apps makes it extremely easy to use Azure. There are a lot of guides, demos, helpers, tools, and basically everything suggesting devs that Azure is the way to go when you want to build app for Windows 10 (desktop, mobile, iot, anything), and extend the support towards Android, iOS, and web.

My idea is that MS by relying on services for solution (a combination of software, hardware, and distribution) makers, will charge them $$$, and they will get that $$$ back from the end users either directly, or indirectly (Facebook/Google/Twitter style).

18. Roman9441

Roman9441 Member

GPU:
    GTX970 4GB
    So i wonder what will happens if i format windows after i upgrade to windows 10. Do i need to download 8.1 and upgrade to 10 again or i can just download windows 10 setup file. :/

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Download Windows 10. It works the same as the $40 upgrade from 7 to 8 did. It eats your 7 CD key and give you an 8 one.

20. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    windows 10 will make cash for microsoft by popup commercials =D
    Win 8.1 will be my last windows ever.