Another DX12 topic - AMD A10 5750m(iGPU HD8650G) + Radeon HD 8970M

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by michael205, Sep 5, 2015.

1. michael205

michael205 Guest

GPU:
    APU 8650G + dGPU 8970m
    Hi. I have a laptop GX70 3BE with AMD A10 5750m(iGPU HD8650G) + Radeon HD 8970M;
    My iGPU isn't supported by DX12 but my dGPU is.
    Problem is that in the end I only have DX11.2. Is there some magical way to get it to work ?

AMD and MSI don't know why it isn't working but from what i know all APU(not GCN)+dGPU(GCN) have this problem.

Is there a way to force my dGPU as my "Master" card, or just fool Windows to think that HD8650G support DX12 ?

2. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hi, unfortunately AMD hybrid systems with VLIW + GCN GPUs should not support DirectX 12, actually.
    Unfortunately the graphics card are built as a linked adapter by a hardware/firmware point of view instead of two different GPUs sharing the video output, that is the problem (this is different from Intel WDDM 1.x + AMD GCN hybrid systems).

I don't know if and when AMD will support them, you should try to force the dedicated graphics card in the CCC creating a profile for a particular DX12 application. You could also try to disable the iGPU in the device manager, I don't think it will solve any issues but it could make your system unstable.

By the way, what application doesn't work on your laptop? There are very few piece of software running DX12 around, and mostly are programming samples only.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  3. michael205

michael205 Guest

GPU:
    APU 8650G + dGPU 8970m
    Demo, Elements UE4. What really is important is that in near feature there will be planty games and programs that will be DX 12.

Is it possible to "Hide" from directX my iGPU ? That's all that we really have to do... Software support of D12 for iGPU is also good idea.

It just have to let dGPU do all the work.

4. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    The dGPU is only gcn 1.0 so no DirectX 12 for it sorry only GCN 1.1 and above are DirectX 12 compatible

5. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
    What, all GCN products are DX12 compatible. Also for OP, you didn't mention if you have Windows 10, as DX12 also is only for win10.

6. sirDaniel

sirDaniel Guest

GPU:
    940MX
    a "stable" way do disable and use dedicated card is to turn off igpu in BIOS. If its actually doable of course

7. Rambo

Rambo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
    lolz dude what are u talking about? GCN1.0 is compatibile with DX12. Not fully (feature level 11_1) but still compatibile.

8. michael205

michael205 Guest

GPU:
    APU 8650G + dGPU 8970m
    hd8970m is GCN 1.1 .
    I know that dx 12 is only for 10 ...
    i can't trun it off. It would brick my laptop.

9. prazola

prazola Member Guru

GPU:
    R9390XSOC / R9290DCU2OC
  10. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD VLIW GPUs will not work with vulkan for the same reason they do not work with Direct3D 12.
    You cannot "hide" the iGPU because they are in a linked adapter configuration and your iGPU cannot run DX12 software.

All GCN generations support Direct3D 12.

Thre is nothing called "full Directx 12 support" or whatever. Feature levels are just sets of caps-bits, they are meant for developers.

You cannot do this in a laptop, especially with a linked adapter configuration.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015

11. Radier

Radier Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3060TI 8 GB
    No it is not. Its the same GCN 1.0 as in 7970M because its almost the same card. Same as M290X.

12. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000

Does your BIOS have an option to turn off the iGPU?

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

I suggest you take a look.

13. Radier

Radier Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3060TI 8 GB
    GX60/70 BIOS does not allow to disable iGPU.

14. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
  15. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Bios update will not "unlink" the linked adapter configuration. Issues will remain. OP should contact directly AMD and ask it they will support WLIW+GCN laptops linked adapter systems. Sorry, but I don't have more specific details to share.

16. prazola

prazola Member Guru

GPU:
    R9390XSOC / R9290DCU2OC
    Could be possible via spir-v (on paper).
    And what about powervr gpu's?

17. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    That video clearly shows a G70 user disabling the iGPU HD8650G to obtain 8970M in a single card config.

Would there be some kind of issues for the user who disabled his iGPU?

PS. Mantle gives the user around +5 -10 fps

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  18. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I don't have a VLIW4/5 + GCN laptop here to try, but I knew that they were shown as a linked adapter by the hardware pov under D3D12/WDDM 2.0. If the iGPU can be really unlinked via BIOS then good, but I don't have sufficient details and informations to tell you if AMD will solve the issues with a driver update or with a BIOS update (which should be released by OEMs).

It's not about SPIR-V (used to produce shader bytecode for binary hardware/driver translation instead of GLSL/HLSL/whatever) or about the fact that AMD Radeon HD 5000/6000 Series (and re-brands) are VLIW architecture based, it's about memory and resource management of the AMD Terascale architectures.
    Anyway, when Vulkan drivers will ready for consumer usage, Terascale GPUs will be just insignificant by a development point of view.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  19. sirDaniel

sirDaniel Guest

GPU:
    940MX
    For some clarification.

There is actually a way to turn off iGPU, but you would need hack your bios, which i would recommend for advanced user, and you would to this on your own risk. You would unclock AMI bios to get more options
    https://www.google.pl/search?q=GX70...VY-lAcOXsAGY_KngDw#q=msi+GX70+3BE+custom+bios
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP3z93cSLM0

Personally, i would switch to dedicated card for default since its so beefy. Vliw + GCN would not get along in cooperation in game rendering anyway, so why not 8970M if it would not making too much noise and produce too much heating on daily use? Even then we can software downclock for internet use. Turning off igp would make more freedom for your CPU's TDP (thermal restrictions). I also use my laptop constantly connected to AC, but well, that are only my 2 cents.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  20. XeiK

XeiK Guest

GPU:
    HD 7970m
    Any chance to find something like that links but for GX60 1AC?

Same problem with DX12, in AMD site says that all 7970M are compatible with DX12, but my iGPU 7650G are not, that's why I can't get DX12 running.