PSU high fan speed when upgrading graphics card

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Racer11, Dec 15, 2014.

1. alexrose1uk

alexrose1uk Guest

GPU:
    3080 10GB
    Good stuff, look forward to the feedback, and unless you are very unlucky, the lifespan of your components will thank you for the change.

The simple fact the fan ramped up in the old PSU should highlight to you it was starting to stress itself it it was ramping up quite heavily.

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I wouldn't get BeQuiet if I were you. HEC is their OEM (usually at least) which is not the worst OEM around but these days they definitely do not build the top stuff and use pretty meh components. One BeQuiet that I had failed in not so long item ago too which is not a surprise considering that it was full of C(r)apXons. BeQuiets are overpriced for what they are.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  3. alexrose1uk

alexrose1uk Guest

GPU:
    3080 10GB
    Whilst BeQuiet have made somewhat of a name on having very low noise PSUs (which in some cases will justify the higher cost), over the absolute solidity of their internals, and as you have highlighted sometimes make some downcost-orientated decisions, a BeQuiet would still be a far better choice than a no-name by an unknown OEM which is probably produced at absolute budget, incapable and otherwise inherently in many cases dangerous. As stated the OPs PSU definately looks to fall into the all flash and no substance category based on what we've seen.

At least with a BeQuiet you can usually trust it says it will do what it says on the box, even if the choices thier OEM HEC make are at times weaker.

I prefer Antec, Seasonic and Super Flower substantially, but these names are all harder to find or come with a solid cost implication, especially in Seasonic's case.

The whole not knowing what's inside it is the reason I avoided recommending Corsair or EVGA, as whilst they sell some extremely solid PSUs, there is a far greater variation in the quality of the internals. A few years ago I'd have added Corsair to the above list but no longer. If Bequiet internals continue to drop in quality, there is potential BeQuiet may also fall off my easy recommendation list in the future.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  4. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    We use coolermaster psu's for years now and are very satisfied with them.
    But anyway, we got a G700 in a system which is a solid budget psu.
    Had some good reviews at the time also.
    Only downside is the cables which need some room in your computer case.
    But for the rest it's doing a decent job.

In my country it's just a bit more expensive compared to the G550M, not by much though.

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Enermax is also good, but like Seasonic can cost.

6. Racer11

Racer11 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960
    So I have installed the new PSU today and the pc works smooth and quiet now. I also took the old psu apart and noticed that one half of the psu fan was for some reason covered with plastic (???? I don't know why would they desing it like that, but ok) and there was also a lot of dust in the psu, so it obviously couldn't work properly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    That thing looks cheap as hell. Must be a Great Wall unit.

8. alexrose1uk

alexrose1uk Guest

GPU:
    3080 10GB
    Glad its gone and the new PSU has resolved your issues :)

Proves the point, always get a good PSU! Having opened the old one I think the point has been proven lol