Urgent Help needed Plz:XFX HD 4850 High temp > 119c within 15-20 mins and PC shuts

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by amaq01, Dec 4, 2014.

Tags:
  1. amaq01

amaq01 Guest

GPU:
    hd 4850
    Hi,

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to provide as much info as possible for a better solution.

I have been experiencing strange clicking sounds [please see link] coming from my XFX HD 4850 lately [or it can be from PSU?].

I have been using this card since 2009 [5 years].

It used to be very rare, only at bootup, but ever since I have started playing Bioshock infinite, it has become much more frequent.

Initially I did not get any problems playing, but last time I could only manage 1 hr and then 30 mins before pc crashed.

Today when I started the pc, there was not any of that sound, but after 40 minutes the hideous sound started and after few seconds pc shutdown.

This happened again and again with shorter time frames.

Interesting thing is I did not even played the game, was only browsing the potential problem on the net.

Gpu, seemed very hot.

Using GPUz, I started monitoring and gpu temp went from 60-70C range to 119C within 25 minutes before it shut down! So it seems gpu is the reason.

I put a bit of load [23%] on gpu by emulating a game in pj64 during that time.

I had got my power outlets checked by a voltmeter few days ago, the electrician said they were fine.

My desktop airflow is good, never had a high temp problem with my cpu and 1 side of the cover is always open.

My questions are:

-Can I underclock my gpu so that it consumes less power?

-Do i need to install ccc, since I haven't earlier?

-I used an air blower a couple of months ago and also cleaned the gpu with a brush, did'nt find much dust or any object blocking the fans.

I can't rma since I had a bad time doing that in the last few times[other h/w, long wait]. Also I don't have a built in gfx with this build.

What do you suggest?

Thanks.

Link[screens and audio]:
    hxxp://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=72637166005395936235

GPUZ min/max temps:

Date , GPU Core Clock [MHz] , GPU Memory Clock [MHz] , GPU Temperature [°C] , Fan Speed (%) [%] , Fan Speed (RPM) [RPM] , GPU Load [%] , GPU Temp.(DISPIO) [°C] , GPU Temp.(MEMIO) [°C] , GPU Temp.(SHADERCORE) [°C] , Memory Usage (Dedicated) [MB] , Memory Usage (Dynamic) [MB] , VDDC [V] ,

2014-12-03 08:50:03 , 165.0 , 990.6 , 64.0 , 57 , 1114 , 0 , 64.5 , 68.5 , 68.0 , 8 , 8 , 1.258 ,

2014-12-03 09:22:55 , 165.0 , 990.6 , 119.0 , 100 , 135 , 9 , 119.5 , 123.5 , 121.5 , 30 , 30 , 1.258 ,

Update:

After i cleaned my pc again with air blower and also the gpu separately, tested the system.

Starting temps were better [from 60c instead of 75c] and biggest difference was the dramatic reduction in fans rpm [previously 262 and now 50-70 rpm] and noise.

But bad news is during those 15-20 mins, the gpu temps kept rising again [even at 0% gpu load], and once i put a bit of load on gpu [15-20%, via pj64 emulater] it rose to 120c before pc shutdown again.

So does it means I have to apply thermal paste too? Or can this be fixed if i update the gpu driver?

Forget playing Bioshock infinite, I can't even use my pc for work now :(

Please, any solutions/suggestions will be really appreciated.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm not really a pro, and I never had it happen to me, but that sounds like your card's fans might be dying. And with it, your card if it gets too hot. You might want to think about picking a new card, if that's really the case, or mod it with a new fan, but I guess that's not as easy as one would wish.

3. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    Looks like fan is gone. Every chance that is a sleeve bearing that has worn out. Idle should be around 1400rpm. High load will get it up to 3400rpm.

As the card is old, might be better just to bin it and buy a new card.

4. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Well if the fan is not dead... and work normally:

- Try replace the thermal paste with good one.
    - Check if the contact are still good between the cooler and the core / memory / PWM

If the fan is dying: try find an aftermarket cooler compatible for it.

With overclocking software you can underclock it, and control the fan speed / RPM ( see if at max speed it still go so high in temp ).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Only make sure that an aftermarket cooler isn't more expensive than an equal performing new card ;)

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Best cooler for the HD4850 is the Zalman VF1000.....and it isn't a cheap cooler. Runs about $50 + shipping from FrozenCPU and $60 + shipping from TigerDirect, if you can order from either of them.

7. amaq01

amaq01 Guest

GPU:
    hd 4850
    Thank you fantaskarsef, MacT, Lane, and sykozis!

@fantaskarsef
    Your absolutely right, now the fan is not working at all and reaches that temp [abt 120c] quicker, around 10 mins before pc shuts.

@MacT
    Your absolutely right too.

@Lane
    Fan doesnot work, i'll research about compatible aftermarket cooler, for a 3rd party software are you talking about msi burner or rivatuner or gpuz?
    Which one can control the rpm of fans? Though currently it seems fan don't work at all.

@sykozis
    Thank you for the recommendation, I will check it out.

If I was able to buy a new gpu I would in a heartbeat, but unfortunately I am not in a position to invest even that much money.

So it seems the only way is to get the fan replaced, any recommendations/advice for the best way of doing that?

Again, really appreciate your help.

8. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    You could always ghetto mod it to bypass sourcing the exact same fan if your desperate, cut a square in the shroud with a dremel, and fit a plentifully sourced anywhere 80mm case fan with cable ties to hold it in place powered to the psu molex connectors.

This should blow enough airflow through the heatsink. If one won't do it, add 2 side by side.

When (and if) you source the correct fan save the square you cut out and epoxy it back in place to close the hole.

Your looking for a fan that is 6 years old, the only ones your going to get are from scrap 4850 cards off fleabay, and even then they are just as prone to die early because of their age.

My 4870x2 after 6 years died it's first death this week (black screen on boot and wouldn't even make it past DMI pool or into BIOS), alas it was brought back from the dead with a 330c heat gun over the board to reflow the ****ty leadless solder joints. No more issues for last 24 hours uptime. Working all again.

These 4K cards we still hold onto are getting old, creaky and cranky, and are dropping to bits (literally).

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014