1000+ unstable sectors, is my 3TB HDD dead?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Solfaur, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    That sucks, maybe they'll take pity on you?

Btw I can second what Corrupt says at least on my home PC.... running 9 Seagate's from 7yrs old to brand new, and never had a single problem. I did have had 2 die years ago but was from a bad PSU......

WD are OK too though.

2. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Yeah I had tons of WD HDDs over the years, almost all my HDDs were WD, and this was the first to have issues. I'm not sure if it's 100% dead since now it looks like it works ok, but it sure as hell isn't reliable anymore. The Black and RE lines are top notch quality though, I still have 2x1TB REs from my old PCs and they are like 5 years old and are still a blast.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    WD/Seagate seem about as good as each other imho.

The only drives I've seen with massive failure rates were those POS Quantum Fireballs from Maxtor.
    They had a tendency to overheat and seize the platter bearings....that's if the firmware didn't go bad first and brick the drive, another common problem. Oh and Hitachi Deskstars ofc....

4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Maxtor... damn, I even forgot their name, but now that you mentioned it I did have 2 Maxtor drives back in the day, one ~20GB and another of ~60GB, I had problems with both. I still think I have the 60Gb one somewhere, but it's been dead for 10+ years. :giggle2:

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Have you tried performing a low level format?

6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Wrote zerros, then I did NTFS format and made a GPT disk. So far it works and doesn't show any bad sectors in hdtune/wd lifeguard anymore.

7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Very good to hear..

I've had it happen as well, it really sucks thinking the hard drive is going to die *___*

I use HD Low Level Format Tool v4.25 when I need too.. Although I've only used it twice so far. You need to buy it to make it work faster, but the free version works just fine.

8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I see, I will use it next time I have problems with the drive. I won't be putting "sensible" data on this drive anymore though, just to be safe. :p

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I have a Western Digital Caviar RE WD3200YS that I purchased two identical from a friend.. he had them in Raid but something about them didn't work right in Raid, reason he sold them to me.. As single drives they work fine.

I gave one to my brother and my one ended up dying, doing that horrible clicking noise death.. but I held onto it for like 3 years... just sitting in a box..

And then one day I read that wacking them on the ground can make the read heads come unstuck sometimes... So I got it and wacked it on the ground really hard thinking ohh goodness this isn't going to work.. then put it in an external sata dock and it worked.. hahahaha///

I use it as my main OS drive now.. xD

hard drives are weird..

10. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Haha, I actually had planned to throw this one against a wall and run it over with a car, but now that it apparently works again I'll hold on to that. WD Caviar REs are very good though, I still have 2x1TB of those which I have from my previous-previous rig (I initially had them in raid but gave up since I don't really need the speed as they are used for storage), and they still work fine.

11. Bohi2_OGU

Bohi2_OGU Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX690
    Like i said before i have the most point suspicious is the hdd controller hiccup hard to tell where it goes wrong mb, os, or hdd. But forget it if you do use after zero write as subjected and you did finally, one week use. If there is no same failure other failure shows up after a week of usage your hdd is fine. Did you notice my screenshots and the dated from it? As well the operations hours since and no other failure shows up ever since but i understand you, you need to be found the trust again. Remember if you buy new disk and you put data on it, which is not covered by rma, you can lose the drive as well there is always a risk. Use Macrium Reflect to put your self position of data secure. 7 hours zero write for a 3TB 'green one' is not a surprise bcoz due the ability of slowing down rpm capability is normal in this case of zero write.

Also don't use other app then what WD is provided its damn good doing his job and fixing this matters. If in warranty WD wants a report from it as well before except rma. Glad i could help you pointing in the good direction because why throw away if it can be fixed.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  12. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Yep, Bohi2_OGU you are 100% right, and thanks for your suggestion.

I will report back in 1-2 weeks if the drive shows up any unstable sectors, but so far it's all good. Also, my problem *might* have been cause by my OS (Win 8.1 Pro 64), because before having issues a message started to pop in Windows Action Center about a drive having "problems". So it always asked me to restart and it would reboot very slow and then one time it started to "scan" the 3TB drive, as it took ages since it had like 2.5 TB of video files on it so I left it overnight and when I woke up the PC was shut down and it wouldn't boot before I did a full electricty disconnect and discharge. So yea... I have a strong feeling something went very wrong there and the drive had all the bad sectors after that.

13. Bohi2_OGU

Bohi2_OGU Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX690
    aah....
    The more im confident your disk is fine because let me guess...you use a fileshare app on that disk isnt? As well OS? Did the issue occurs between shut down that particularity file share program and windows 8 and then the next boot of the pc?
    That 3tb with 2.5tb of files propped green disk is not made of so many activity as a file share program and maybe the OS with a pagefile as well. That needle goes nuts so to speak during the long term operation write and read so a hiccup can popup easy, even a black can have sweating with that.

However reduce the upload speed as well the max files shared reduce the risk of a controller failure. But also here counts what was first chicken or egg meaning did the OS made a failure at start or hdd controller the last for sure on the end anyway.. Best is use a other disk for os then a disk for share and the green for storage thats the ideal situation. But as suggested before will do as well but its not failure prove. Btw its not bad sectors it is current pending sector in this case its not physical damaged sector on the disk but a corruption from one sector and its snow ball effect spread out. Only a write zero can correct those issue there is no other way imo.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  14. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Sorry for late response Bohi, just saw your reply. The disk was used for movies/pictures/music storage AND the "downloads" folder (yep, had my torrent client linked to it), OS is on my Corsair Force Series GT 120GB SSD, I would never put my OS on such a slow drive. :D

Meanwhile, my disk worked for another ~2 months after I did the "zero writing" when suddenly it crapped out again, went to HD tune to check and I had almost 70K unstable sectors lol. Tried the drive at a friend's and it was the same... so yea, I gave up on it.

Anyway, I bought a WD 3TB Red NAS drive, even though I wanted to go for a 4TB one, the price diffrence wasn't worth it (it costs like 50% more for just 1TB more) and besides I got a really good deal on this 3TB one. Best thing is that this one has a 3 year warranty. If it will last 3 years I will be satisfied, also in 3 years the warranties from all my other HDDs and SSD will expire as well, all will be ready for a fresh start so to speak. :p