GeForce SLI Profile Tool no longer works fully with the v337.50 driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Darren Hodgson, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've been using NVIDIA's GeForce SLI Profile Tool for a number of years now to export my profiles as a text file prior to installing new drivers. I then export the default profile for comparison and then import my old profiles. I then use Notepad++ to go through the default profiles file that came with the driver and edit in any changes required to my old profiles file. I do this to ensure that none of my custom settings, which include AA and AO flags, name changes, executable corrections, etc, etc, are not overwritten by the new driver.

Since I've installed the new v337.50 driver, I can no longer import this text profiles file, even one I've exported using the tool. I'm told there was a problem importing the profiles. Incidentally, the same issue occurs with NVIDIA Inspector v1.9.7.2 when using its "Import (replace) all driver profiles (NVIDIA text format)" option, even when I export it first then try re-importing the file.

It seems that NVIDIA have changed something in the profiles such that I can no longer import NVIDIA text format profiles. Anyone know if there is a new version of the tool or if a simple edit is required to make it work (e.g. in the past the comma was accepted in the profiles until NVIDIA changed it so it was no longer the case).

Thanks.

2. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    P.S. This tool is known as GeForce 3D Settings Profile Manager since its last update.

3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
  4. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    Is there any reason that you prefer using it instead of NvInspector?

The main problem I see using your approach is that you are normally overriding all the parameters including non changed bits. But if Nvidia new drivers includes updated profile you will loose that and replace them with the one in your file.

NvInspector only export/import the parameters you have changed if you choose the correct export option.
    For me this worked fine on 337.50

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    As I said in my post, NVIDIA Inspector has the exact same issue but the ability to import/export NVIDIA text profiles is a relatively new addition to the app so I still preferred to use NVIDIA's own tool as it is simpler (it's sole purpose is to import and export profiles as text files only).

I also mentioned that I use Notepad++ to do a side by side comparison of mine and the new profiles so I can edit in the changes such as new profiles and revisions to older ones. This way I keep all my tweaks as well. It is time-consuming but it is the only way I know that I avoid the new driver undoing all my tweaks, including corrected executables and proper game names.

However, the tool no longer works with these drivers, even with profiles exported from it. Don't understand that at all but I suspect that NVIDIA may have changed something such that a character in a profile name is now illegal (e.g. a colon or something).

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I just kinda assumed there would be problems like these since the drivers are so different. Just started fresh.

At this point, I think the first step would be to find out if the problem is the profiles you have, the drivers, or the programs ability to import the profiles.

Maybe start by making a few new profiles, change some settings in a handful of others, export it, reset everything back to default, then re-import it. If it works you at least narrow down the problem most likely being the your profiles file. If it doesn't work then its either the drivers or the import programs fault.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  7. Shayne

Shayne Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    deleted

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Does anyone know why my profiles contain loads of obscure Chinese/Korean games that I would never play in a million years? Many of the have non-English characters? Even if I delete them then they get redownloaded, annoyingly.

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    They should add some kind of search/filter box. Using the NVIDIA CP dropdown app list is truly a horrible experience.

10. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    i like it and they gave us a new feature too (shader cache) what more do you want?
    a truly horribly experience, the nvcp?

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Pressing a letter key, while in the dropdown box, will take you to the section beginning with that letter. Rudimentary, but it works.

12. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Because Nvidia has a good business cooperation with many Chinese Online Game, and also Internet cafe in China.

You can just disable the Update to prevent profile get download again.

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Can someone who uses NVIDIA Inspector of the NVIDIA 3D Profiles Manager Tool test something for me please?

Use it to Export your profiles in as an NVIDIA Text Profile and try to reimport it? Does it fail?

I can no longer import my customised profiles with the v337.xx drivers using either NVIDIA Inspector or NVIDIA's own 3D SLI Profile Tool as both fail.

What I tested:

1. Exported existing profiles in NVIDIA text format and then tried reimporting the file using NVInspector and the 3D Profile Tool. Failed for both.
    2. Reinstalled v337.50 driver using the Custom > Clean option. I immediately exported the default profiles in text format and then tried reimporting them. Successful.
    3. On the same driver after opening the control panel and viewing the profiles (after it is done it has listed them, which initially takes a few minutes), I then exported the profiles in text format then tried to reimport them. Failed.
    4. I then updated to the v337.61 hotfix driver and repeated steps 2 and 3 with the same results as 2 and 3.

It seems that these drivers corrupt the profiles so that the text format import options in NVInspector and the 3D SLI Profile Tool no longer work. This is depressing news as I some five years worth of tweaks and edits, including fixing incorrect executables, spelling mistakes as well as adding custom anti-aliasing and AO/HBAO+ flags. :(

Why would they do this? NVInspector does have the option of exporting as NIP files but it is limited plus for some reason all newly created profiles are added to the Global list, which was easily fixed by editing the text file. Of course I cannot do that now.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Update: I found that I can import my archived profiles for 19th February 2014 that was saved from an earlier non-337.xx driver but any profiles exported from an 337.xx driver will fail to import.

This means that I am unable to create a specific profile called "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" and add its full pathname of "the amazing spider-man 2/game.exe" since there is already a profile with game.exe so you have to specify the sub-folder name for any additional ones (logical, otherwise any game with the executable game.exe would have all the different profile settings for game.exe applied to it otherwise!).

The NVIDIA control panel's profile editor is barebones and poor to say the least, only allowing you add the executable and not actually give the game a proper name (it's high time they added an Advanced mode for power users IMO for this purpose). For example, if I try to add game.exe for TASM2 then it fails and shows the existing Game (game.exe) because that one already exists!!!

15. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Nvidia fixes that last limitation by providing the folder the matching EXE exists in. I don't have any examples on hand, but if two games use a startlaunch.exe, one will use the startlaunch.exe for its profile and the other will be something like 'bin32/startlaunch.exe'. When you add the game to your profile manager it automatically does this, BUT only if Nvidia has already added the game to the driver with that exception.

You can do this manually through Inspector. But I think it uses the FULL folder path, not just the last folder.

I guess that is where the problem is? TASM2 would work fine on import if the profile already existed with the proper folder path. Or maybe the newer drivers do have it setup correctly now, and your profiles in your export are conflicting? Maybe your profiles wants to use :/program files/game/game.exe while the new profile is simply game/game.exe. IDK

If it's just that game doing it, I would import my profiles in a driver that accepts them, delete the TASM2 profiles, re-save it, and re-import the profiles in the new driver. And simply remake the one TASM2 profile.

EDIT: have you tried importing your profiles in a working driver, and re-exporting them using Inspector, and re-importing them (using inspector) in the new driver? Maybe inspector will do it correctly.

Last edited: May 6, 2014