Spin-up Time error? HDD is this a problem?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by dcx_badass, Mar 14, 2014.

1. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    So I've always had some HDD issues with my current build, basically if my PC goes to sleep the HDD will never re-initialise, just clunk loudly. The SSD's are fine, so I think this is an issue between my mobo, hdd, psu and the low power haswell sleep states. Really annoying but I can live with it.

Just updated my bios to a beta with stability fixes. That went a bit wrong, and the PC kept freezing on bios, but that's another matter, eventually it booted (although I'll flash back to the old bios when I can). Anyway so since it's started up windows keeps popping up saying there is an issue with the HDD and to back up my files, which is what I'm doing currently.

I've loaded Crystal Disk info and the only issue it's showing is Spin-up Time error, is this literally just how it sounds, the disk took a while to spin up, if so it's probably just an extension of the sleep issue and just hopefully a one off to do with the failed start ups from the flaky bios.

Basically should I be worried, or is it basically a none issue given the similarity to the sleep problem, here's a pic:

[​IMG]

2. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    So after lots and lots of failed boot ups, bios fails, and the PC telling me that the main bios was corrupt, it restoring from the back up bios, then me updating to the latest stable one, then restoring defaults. It seems to be alive again I think.

[​IMG]

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    It may be spindle bearing going belly up,platters have a difficult time spinning at correct speed when they start ,spindle bearing can loose the fluid that ease the friction of the spindle.
    Try to do more testing.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500

5. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    It's not done it since, but thanks for letting me know about the update. I'll try find space to back it up then will do the update.

Cheers.

*edit* I wonder if this will resolve the main issue I have with this PC which is the HDD will not wake with the PC when it sleeps.

6. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Sweet mother of god, it has done it. It's actually fixed the issues I was having since I built this damn thing back in December, sleep has never worked, the HDD always failed to re-initialise after which caused it to crash, which then made the bios not detect the drives until I disabled sata, rebooted, enabled sata.

Tested 4 times in a row and sleep is working perfectly now.

Cheers guys!

Also as a sidenote, the Seagate site sucks, without the direct link to that update the only way to get firmware updates is to enter your serial, and for mine it said no updates, even though this clearly just worked