Freesync goes out of sync (desyncronization between refresh rate and framerate)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by fixide, Mar 12, 2016.

1. fixide

fixide Guest

GPU:
    290X
    Hello,

I have a problem with Freesync with every drivers past 15.12. It seems concern all MG279Q + 290(X and non X) users but perhaps others monitor.

The screen goes "out of sync" pretty often to the max supported refresh rate (89Hz in the case of the MG279Q) even if the frame rate is in the freesync range (35-90). I tried with a lot of games and I get a lot of 89hz even if the game is running at 40-50fps especially when you're walking or moving the camera.

With freesync normally the framerate should be egal with refresh rate.

This isn't a problem related to low framerate compensation since you can see 40-50 fps average on the tested games.

The division test : https://youtu.be/4TFMDzfetLc
    Xcom 2 test : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb4I5AJo0eI

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  2. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    yeah yet another issue with amd and there drivers.
    happens to me aswell, the way to fix it is to power off the monitor and power it back on then go into the game your in and select from 60hz to 90hz then check the frames within the monitors control pannel and if they go up and down, it means freesync is working
    if they stay the same freesync does not work...

half the time the graphics cards cant detect the resolution or the hz even if your within freesync range....

yet again like i said issues issues issues. i cant wait for nvidia`s next line up.

and on top of that the latest 16.3 crimson drivers suck when it comes to freesync detection or resolution detection or even monitor detection
    every time i do any of the above my graphics driver crashes..... unreal type of botch job updates.

3. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Strange, I have no issues with freesync.

Using a custom inf for 32-75 fps freesync range and 2560x1080 @ 75hz for my LG 29 inch ultrawide.

4. Anvi

Anvi Guest

GPU:
    R9 390 8GB
    When moving camera quickly, your FPS might've dropped to below 35. This causes the LFC to tripple the refresh rate instead of doubling.

5. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nope guys i know what he is talking about as i experience the very same weirdness....

6. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Well, CMIIW, but isn't refresh rate being higher than fps and/or refresh rate not in multiples of the fps the main cause of tearing?
    If the fps is below 35, what's the point of upping the refresh rate?

And why go ham and straight to max supported (89 Hz) of the currently used monitor?
    If it dips to 20 fps, wouldn't it better to just set refresh rate to 40 or 60 Hz?

Also, doesn't FreeSync support low fps like in the tens?
    I mean, way below 35 fps.

7. fixide

fixide Guest

GPU:
    290X
    Thank you for your answers. The MG279Q is particularly affected and I suspect the latest drivers. 15.12 is less affected.

It does not do that only by quickly moving the mouse. On TW3 just run. Like the video on xcom2 (no mouse moving : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb4I5AJo0eI but 4 times the 89Hz bug
    6 sec when 48 fps
    16 sec when 50,4 fps
    48 sec when 54,43 fps
    59 sec when 42,7 fps ).
    On the video of the division you can see the bug not only when moving the mouse.
    I move the mouse because it allows to do it and because my right hand is already busy filming :).
    The test is simple. Turn the OSD + FRAPS and just play. When freesync is on, you should have all the time Hz = FPS or Hz = 2*FPS or 3*FPS if you are below Freesync range.
    Some games are not affected: Battlefield 4 and SW Battlefront have no problem.
    TW3 + Xcom2 + the division + just cause 3 (especially in vehicle...) is concerned. On just cause 3 you really feel the desync...
    Other forums on French say Killing floor is also impacted.

I do not think it's related to the LFC. The LFC is on if the FPS is below 35 FPS.
    - On FRAPS I have never dropped below 35 FPS.
    - The LFC double or triple the framerate just to get in the freesync range:
    So if I'm at 20 fps, I'm going to have 40Hz and not 60 (range 35-90).
    34 FPS: 68 Hz
    15 FPS : triple framerate @45Hz
    Etc ...
    There is no way to be at 89Hz (max freesync range) with LFC.

For me it is the driver who is temporarily out of sync.

I also tested with mod my asus with CRU with freesync ranks of 57-144. Exactly the same problem except that this time freesync going out of sync at 143Hz.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L01NjyUqPZ8

Many users they postpone only the drivers after 15.12 of concerned. Indeed, I tested the 15.12 on and no worries with 15.12 even as it manages the LFC.
    But I have to upgrade to play Just Cause 3 which have important flickering in 15.12...

We are severals on the hardware.fr forum to have posted a bug report to AMD. I also mailed the asus service but except copy and paste their ready answers I did not get a consistent return from them.

8. SimBy

SimBy Guest

GPU:
    R9 290
    You definitely drop below 30 FPS in the XCOM2 video @0:36 sec but LFC kicks in and that's not a problem. What exactly causes your monitor going to 89Hz I don't know.

Does this happen if you use vsync and FRTC/RTSS to limit framerate to 85 for example?

9. fixide

fixide Guest

GPU:
    290X
    Yep the LFC works at 0:36 sec. But works well ! Not at 89Hz...

It happens both vsync on off off. And also with framelimiter at 85. Which directs me to say that this is a desync because the display go at max freesync range.

10. fixide

fixide Guest

GPU:
    290X
    New video on the division after Simby test.

The division Vsync on + FRTC at 85 fps. Lot of desyncs @89Hz and it's not the LFC :).
    https://youtu.be/I0vfLx6YPm8

11. SimBy

SimBy Guest

GPU:
    R9 290
    Even if framerate goes to 20, doubling refresh to 40 is more than enough to be in range again.

12. fixide

fixide Guest

GPU:
    290X
    Yep this is why the LFC does not explain thoses desync at 89Hz ..
    Recall that on the desktop monitor is also to 89Hz which is the freesync max. So it's like at some point the monitor lost the gpu since freesync is managed by the driver.

13. SimBy

SimBy Guest

GPU:
    R9 290
    Weird indeed, goes to 89 for no reason :3eyes:

14. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    I hope you manage to find a solution, FreeSync is worthless like that.

15. fixide

fixide Guest

GPU:
    290X
    As many users i bought the MG279Q for freesync... And finally i play with freesync off... :bang:
    I hope someone of amd can read this thread...

16. SimBy

SimBy Guest

GPU:
    R9 290
    Try contacting AMDMatt at ocuk.

17. fixide

fixide Guest

GPU:
    290X
    In pm? Does it look if I give him the URL of this thread on its PM Guru 3D?

18. SimBy

SimBy Guest

GPU:
    R9 290
    Post here or PM him I don't know. If this is widespread issue with this specific model it needs attention.

19. fixide

fixide Guest

GPU:
    290X
    Done :).

20. malitze

malitze Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury X
    Just tested it in TW3 with my MG278Q and it also does jump to 144Hz once in a while according to the OSD. I'm not sure if this is something new since I couldn't notice it just playing the game. How does it manifest itself?