Computer case with best cooling

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Raskolnikov, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov Guest

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte GTX 980
    Hi,

According to many sources, making my **noisy** and clumsy Rosewill Blackhawk (anything over the power saving profile of my motherboard makes it sound like a real UH-60) more cooling efficient (and therefore overclocking friendly in the future) would be very expensive compared to merely investing in a new case. Maybe they were wrong? I like the case to some extent, it has numerous convenient USB ports.

I was recommended the Phanteks Enthoo, which apparently has already L337 (haven't written that in ages) cooling out of the box. Since towers have long lifespans, is the Primo worth it vs. the Pro version?

I'l probably also replace my current heatsink with a NH-D15.

I don't think anything else warrants upgrading. Maybe the PSU?

2. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
  3. spider

spider Guest

GPU:
    GTX760 OC 4GB
    For what?
    The PSU is having 4, 20A 12V rails

4. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    In my opinion,and many others,ALWAYS allow some headroom with a PSU. Be ready for future hardware additions,upgrades,overclocking etc. etc.

5. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    If you want quiet and cool, look for 200mm fans. I have a tt Urban t81 and I like it. If you crank the fans, they are slightly audible but they move a lot of air. At minimum speed I can't even hear my rig running. I should note I came from an antec 1200 with tons of 120mm fans. I'm kind of set on the fact that 120mm fans are noisy as hell.

6. Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov Guest

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte GTX 980
    Recommended by someone, what do you guys think of it? I'm not 100% sure it's going to fit. (I usually have the parts assembled by a computer technician)
    Pictures of my setup http://i.imgur.com/x9F2tfC.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/Hdeyrb3.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/xpYGS3S.jpg (in b4 cable management quipe)

Here is it:
    1x Corsair H100I CPU cooler
    Front Intake: 2x Noctua NF-F12
    Rear Exhaust: 1x Noctua NF-F12
    Top Intake: 1x Noctua NF-A14 in the forward position only (block rear position if possible)
    Side Intake: 1x Noctua NF-F12 OR Bottom Intake: 1x Noctua NF-A14

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I know there is better out there but I'm quite fond of my HAF-X. The only downside is its massive

8. spider

spider Guest

GPU:
    GTX760 OC 4GB
    There is already plenty of headroom.

9. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    To reduce temps you need better cpu/gpu cooler and lower air temps.

If your air temps are high then even with one of the more expensive cases your temps will still be high.

My point being yes case is important but it's not arguably the most important factor.

That said I'd def say going for something like the phanteks enthoo or for me the corsair 760t is important.

(corsair obsidian 750d nice).

p.s build it yourself.

10. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    -- double post --

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014

11. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    Im a big fan of the Corsair Carbide 540, Its such a awesome case, love the design, Im using it for my media server at the moment, Im able to fit so much into it without any issues.
    Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | Intel Core i7 4960X | G Skill trident x 32gb | Samsung 840 EVO 256GB x2 | 4x WD Se 4TB Enterprise HDD | Corsair AX1200I |

[​IMG]

12. Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov Guest

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte GTX 980
    I've actually decided (not that sure though) that I'l switch to a NZXT Phantom 820 and a NZXT Kraken X61 heatsink.

I have one question however. Are the OEM fans of the case good enough? I've heard many good things about the Noctua F-12s or A-14s. Money isn't really an issue. Further, would it be worth it to add more fans? If yes, which ones? Product page: http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/96-phantom-820-full-

13. biggi_

biggi_ Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB SLI
    I know you said you want the NZXT Phantom...but I have a LanBoy that I may be willing to get rid of...I can't think of ANY cast that has better air flow then the Lanboy.

14. Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov Guest

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte GTX 980
    Can't find it for sale in Canada. Amazon.ca has it for 500$

Isn't even in stock on Newegg.com

Really awesome case? Thanks Obama?

15. spider

spider Guest

GPU:
    GTX760 OC 4GB
    The FLX version is specially made for case ventilation.

Difficult to say.
    As an rule of thumb: Each m³ air can trantransport 0.3w of heat per °C temperature increase.
    But due to various unknown variables (e.g. airflow impedance, case isn't sealed) the rule of thumb can be off.
    Maybe add them later after measuring the case temperature.

16. Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov Guest

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte GTX 980
    What do you guys think (too many fans? I have no f**king clue what I'm doing?):

Top: 2 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM
    Front: 1x Cooler Master MegaFlow 200
    Bottom: 2 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM
    Side: 1x Cooler Master MegaFlow 200
    Pivot: 1 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM

Based on: http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/96-phantom-820-full-

I asked my techie about water cooling. If he's familiar I'm probably going that route instead.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  17. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Id just like to point out, that youre gimping your system by only using 2 ram blocks... to make use of the quad channels of the x79 system, you need to use 4 ram blocks.

18. biggi_

biggi_ Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB SLI
    Are you talking about the LanBoy? They've been discontinued...but I *may or may not* have one for sale :)

19. Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov Guest

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte GTX 980
    Isn't 16GB overkill in the first place? Some even recommend that 8GB is enough for gaming.

20. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    You and I have similar set ups. 16gb is NOT overkill in my opinion. RAM is not that expensive these days,so why not? More of anything is good. No such thing as overkill for gamers and enthusiasts.