Modern Memory for Ye Olde i7-990X

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Goose, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Goose

Goose Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Hybrid (+ GT745)
    I'm beginning to see the advice at the time of the i7-990Xs' rollout is real dated, both because RAM prices where higher back then, and the voltage to get past DDR3-1600 was kind'a stiff. :bolt:

I was wondering what new stuff, still on the market, is worth getting? I can thing of two 1866 kits in the CL9 range, but there's also a few 1600 in the 8s, without much extra voltage. :3eyes:

I don't really know how to overclock RAM, to wit turning 1333 7-7-7-21-t1 v1.552 into 1600 9-9-9-24-t2 v1.584, but I could see tweaking either of those kits.

If only there where a legible guide on the subject … :book:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I run 12 GB of 2 GHz stuff, used to have 24 GB in the rig but have since nicked half of it for other PCs, works fine in my AMD Kaveri rig, too. 1866 CAS-9 is a good place to go I think, you get a nice jump in bandwidth from 1600 to 1866. CAS latency is less important than clock speed anyhoo, so if you can get 2 GHz stuff (requires a 143 BCLK), you're also good, either run it at 2GHz or slower. This is where X58 has a bit of an advantage, you can set whatever BLCK you like and tune it much more than SB and later.

3. Goose

Goose Guest

GPU:
    That tells me a lot: Thanks …

Not crazy about moving the BCLK around (had a mere one point bump that would crash the fool thing every other week,) but I figure it's money well spent no matter what: 1600 and tight, 1866 and at rated, all with a voltage reduction. :D

4. Goose

Goose Guest

GPU:
    For sake of reference:

I might'a been able to run everything with only vcore adjustments if I wasn't so fond of offset for vcore; All the other voltages seemed fine at "auto."

Instead, I've got the vtt up against the redline, assuming it has a vdrop like everything else on the board.

The DIMMs themselves are at stock voltage, even with the Gigabyte Memory Enhancement thingie; I'd needed two bumps to the DIMM voltage once I started overclocking the CPU on the previous RAM.

And they come as T1 in the XMP …