Water Cooling - Buyers Guide

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Preachergeek, Feb 7, 2007.

1. angershark

angershark Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    More radiator surface area is always better, what kind of pump are you using? My suggestion would be to spend the money towards a large case that supports one or more thick triple or quad rads, rather than multiple slim small rads that will probably restrict flow rate.

2. eminaguil

eminaguil Member

GPU:
    Saphire 5700/Byksi
    Hi, thanks for the answer and excuses for the late reply.
    My pump is a XSPC D5 Vario Pump, and changing case for now is not an option due to taxes and shipping fees, so I'm thinking in buying a Black Ice SR2 Stealth U-Flow - 240 Radiator.

My actual rads configuration is:
    a dual 140mm, 30mm deep on top, fans pulling
    a single 120mm, 30mm deep on back, fans pulling and pushing
    and a single 120mm, 60mm in front, fans pulling and pushing

My final rads configuration will be:
    a dual 140mm, 30mm deep on top, fans pulling
    a single 120mm, 60mm deep on back, fan pulling
    and a dual 120mm, 60mm in front, fans pulling and pushing

This configuration will give me better temps?
    Later can I add a second pump for better flow rate?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  3. angershark

angershark Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    Going to a thicker 120 on the rear won't make a substantial difference I don't think, especially if you have to remove one fan to make it fit. Having more radiator surface with the dual 120 should help a bit though.

What fans are you using on the rads? If they're just regular slow speed case fans you're losing a lot of cooling potential versus a high rpm/high static pressure type fan.

D5 vario is a beast, you sure you need two of them? :) Maybe with a very restrictive cpu block it might be needed, someone else might comment on that I haven't run with water cooling for years now.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm new to watercooling but picking together the parts for a custom loop to, so pardon my noob question:

Is it better to have bigger rads (tripple rads for instance) than single fan ones? Besides preasure needed, I can imagine that, does it offer better cooling to have say two 120 rads than one 240?

5. eminaguil

eminaguil Member

GPU:
    Saphire 5700/Byksi
    I have noctua fans NF-P12 and NF-A14-FLX, all my rads are low fpi.
    Then, I will only change the 120 rad for the dual 120.

Thanks

6. eminaguil

eminaguil Member

GPU:
    Saphire 5700/Byksi
    Looking for my problem I just found this very good article http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/the-watercooling-guide-from-a-to-z.180876/ , and it says in 1.0 Planning, that cooling is the same.

HK-1 likes this.
  7. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    The advantage of having less and bigger radiators over lots of smaller ones in my opinion is fitments which are not cheap and sometimes can be a real pain to get hold of (45' & 90' angle ones for instance). One 240 rad is only two fittings, over the four if you had 2x 120s. Cooling performance would be next to no difference I'd have thought.

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Thanks for the link, will check it out!

Yeah, less fittings = less chance for leaks too, I thought. But I wasn't sure if it puts more trouble on the pump or anything, but good to know. I'd just try to go for the bigger rads out of easyness of mounting them, one big thing requires less work (and maybe screws done) than two smaller ones.

9. MDKpt

MDKpt Active Member

GPU:
    Suprim X 4090
    Hi there i did not no if this is the right place but here it goes i been following guru 3d more over a decade now but i registerd now here is my setup:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. MDKpt

MDKpt Active Member

GPU:
    Suprim X 4090
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

its a 6950X

2X 1080
    Alot of SSDS
    and ALOT HDD
    32gb gskill 2800mhz at 3200mhz
    corsair 1500i
    all on a custom loop

cheers

darrenj likes this.

11. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Check this out JayzTwoCents and his water cooling contraption he did, but worked incredibly well and was really suprised it cools to ambient temp damn near....

12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Hah, ask @jura11 about his MohRa

13. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

As above @fantaskarsef said I'm running Watercool MO-ra3 360mm radiator which is one radiator I can highly recommend

MO-ra3 is itself 3*360mm radiator or 3*420mm radiator, restriction is not bad for such radiator and single pump shouldn't have issue to run such radiator although if you are running single MO-ra3 360mm or 420mm and extra 360mm or 420mm radiator then I would suggest get one more pump to have good flow rate

In my case with 4*GPUs rendering or folding my water delta T is around 3-4°C with fans spinning at 700-800RPM although that's with 4*360mm radiators plus MO-ra3 360mm

In normal gaming water delta T is around 2-2.5°C as max which is still great

I have used on few builds MO-ra3 360mm with extra 360mm radiator where I cooled 6*GTX1080Ti and water delta T have been under load in 8-10°C with fans running at 800-900RPM, with fans running at 1200RPM water delta T would drop to 7-8°C and GPU temperatures have been in 40-42°C as max what I remember, friend still running this loop which we have built year ago

Near ambient or 0-1°C water delta T is possible but would be very expensive and can be very loud, if we are talking about the water cooling not water chiller which shouldn't have problem to cool below ambient

My loop have 4*360mm radiators plus MO-ra3 360mm and and 4*GPUs and with such setup water delta T on idle is in 0-1°C, under load 3-4°C or 5°C as max I can achieve in rendering with fans spinning at 700-800RPM,with fans spinning at 450-650RPM water delta T would raise by 0.5-1°C which is still would be great water delta T

Under load to have near ambient water delta T in gaming I think is possible probably running fans faster, didn't tried or tested that, in rendering or folding Folding@home this would require probably few more radiators or fans which would need to run in excess of 2000-2500RPM and at such RPM not sure if I would want to be in room

Have run on my Phanteks Enthoo Primo only 360mm radiator on top and 240mm 60mm thick radiator on bottom which has cooled 3*GPUs setup and water delta T with such setup have been reasonable at 6-7°C with fans running at 1200RPM

Have built loop for friend where friend is running 2*360mm with single GPU RTX 2080Ti and 8086k and his water delta T under load or gaming is in 5°C region and fans he is running at low speeds 750-850RPM, we are optimized his loop for low noise although he is running Noctua A12x25 fans which are not cheapest fans but they're worth it

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

14. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Thanks Jura good info.