Custom Fan Curve has no effect

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by houdini, Nov 24, 2016.

1. houdini

houdini Guest

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I don't think you'd need Kernel mode but that has nothing to do with the fan settings (Though if Afterburner were to crash that could be a bit more troublesome.) and extended MSI likely only applies to MSI cards and for the Titan X I don't think they allow third party designs of it.

For the second image custom fan speeds should be applied (Make sure it's enabled in Afterburner itself though.) the setting in Afterburner looks a bit different depending on the skin used but a little cog or box near the fan speed slider on the monitoring screen.
    (If sliding it up to 100% from there has no effect it's probably not enabled, otherwise you'd probably want it lower so it can follow the fan curve you designed which if I'm understanding it correctly it checks every fifth second and updates as needed depending on temperature.)

And for the third image it looks like fan speed is overriden and around 35% speed (idle activity so it doesn't need to ramp up.) and custom is checked plus it's not handled automatically.
    (EDIT: Or well it's almost under full load, I'm just being blind again.)

EDIT: Aha so it needs to be automatically controlled for even user settings, learned something new there. :)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

The last screenshot is showing that "Auto" button is not pressed. It needs to be "on" for automatic fan speed control (for both driver/hw based fan speed control and manual fan curve).

4. houdini

houdini Guest

Thanks. That was it. What a difference! Now with the fan ramping up I never get hotter than 52 C

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2016