Need Help with 3DFX on Win98 Box

Discussion in 'Videocards - 3dfx' started by scrapser, Mar 24, 2013.

1. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    I have a pair of Diamond Voodoo2 8 meg cards with SLI. They were made to be used as a set. I just tried to install them and my computer had all sorts of problems. I think I may need to clean off the hard drive and reinstall Windows to start fresh.

But before I do I'm hoping someone here knows these cards well enough to advise me on what I should do at this point and maybe help walk me through the setup solution.

Thanks

2. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    Okay...I'm adding a bit more information.

To be clear, this is a Win98SE installation using a mated pair of Diamond Monster II Voodoo2 8 meg cards. The main card is a GeForce4 Ti-4600 64 meg AGP 4x.

Here are the anomalies....

• None of the drivers for 3DFX appear in the Add/Remove programs list.
    • The graphics card driver (nVidia) does not uninstall. When I click on the line in the Add/Remove list, the window simply resets back to the top. I tried reinstalling over the existing driver but it still behaves the same when trying to uninstall.
    • Everything works in spite of this. I test the 3DFX cards by running European Air War at 1024x768 in Glide with no problems. If I use only one card, I can only go to 800x600.

To get to this point (including full use of the main graphics card) I am using the Diamond v.207 drivers. If I use the FastVoodoo2 v.4.6 drivers, my main graphic card gets messed up completely. By that I mean I can only use 16 colors with resolutions below 800x600 at boot up.

I'm pretty certain at this point my registry is a mess and tempted to format the hard drive and start from scratch but would like to discuss with any 3DFX savvy folks before taking that step.