Best programs to test 980GTX stability

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Valagard, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Valagard

Valagard Guest

I thought I would just chime in with my own findings here, on what programs give the best check of stability of my GTX 980 overclock

So far I have found, Tera Online so far is the best way to check my overclock

I was stable at 1552/2000 in Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, Blood Dragon, Uheaven etc for hours, and I mean hours

So I started playing other games, and they all worked fantastic except two. Brutal Legend and Tera Online

Brutal Legend will take sometimes hours before it locks up, sometimes it does it in 10 minutes, but Tera Online does NOT mess around.

If your overclock is not stable Tera Online will crash your system in less than 5 minutes, make no jokes about it. And this isn't your normal crash or driver reset, it will hard lock your computer so hard you can't even push the reset button, I have to power cycle my computer in order to reset it

I finally ended up with 1471/1950 as my final stable overclock.

If anybody else has some perfect programs to test please list them, but as I found it Tera Online WILL brutally lock up your system within moments if your overclock is not stable.

2. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    [​IMG]

gpuz start render test run 1h if running 1h and no error and notting your vga is ok stable

this test using 100% your gpu all time at runing

3. Valagard

Valagard Guest

GPU z gives me corruption no matter what settings I use for my GPU, even less than defaults

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    kombuster

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I get GPUz render test chequerboard corruption with my 980 too

I think Heaven, Valley, 3DM11 / 3DM 2013, Firestrike etc are all gonna be the best tests

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    heaven 4.0 looping several hrs also valley too and your games.

7. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The Metro: LL Redux benchmark is pretty sensitive to oc's on my system, give that a shot.
    I can be stable for hours in other games/benches but that one seems to pick up instabilities.

8. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Best test are playing games and some benchmarks(that already named here).
    Burn tests like kombuster and Furmark are NOT good for testing,google issues after some hours tested with these... they maybe some good for couple of minutes(3-4),no more.

9. Thalyn

Thalyn Guest

World of Warcraft (even more-so since 6.0.2 went live) and Batman: Arkham City (PhysX High). Clocks that are stable in any other monstrosity you throw at it (FurMark, Unigine, Crysis, etc) will buckle under those two. It might not happen immediately, but it will happen.

I had to back my 1,500/7,902 clocks down to a "lowly" 1,467/7,806, at least until I can get some water on it.

Borderlands TPS (PhsyX Ultra) is also pretty good for it, but it can take a LOT longer.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    RE6 benchmark,
    3dmark 06 (custom reso, 4xmsaa, max settings) PS3.0 part only
    HardReset benchmark (ultra, 4xmsaa)
    BF3, BF4 can artifact if you push memory too high
    Alien Isolation benchmark
    Batman AO benchmark with max settings
    Passion Leads Army physx benchmark
    Heaven 4.0

11. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    For me, the Just Cause 2 benchmark has rooted out seemingly stable overclocks very quickly, even more so than Heaven, Crysis etc.

12. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    Can vouch for WoW too, no joke, if you running that game @ Ultra my 780Ti crashed there several times when i could play other demanding games like Crysis for hours, which were my previous stress test.

Usually i stresstest with Unigine Valley @ everything maxed, then WoW and GW2 with 4xSGSSAA and Ambient Occlusion forced via nVidia Inspector. While WoW tends to Crash if unstable, GW2 is showing artifacts, so thats why i use both games. Weird tho even if those games are MMOs and are well known for not so GPU demanding.

13. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    BF3 and BF4 have always been the best examples to get crash to desktop without warnings when i OC my CPU and the CPU is considered "stable" on long tests, tweaking the voltage a bit fixes the problem.

I'd say you should run games that are both CPU and GPU intensive, MMOs like TERA, GW2, FFXIV wtc are always CPU intensive.

Non MMO games that are CPU AND GPU intensive are Hitman Absolution, Crysis 3 that i can remember.

I know Hitman Absolution has a benchmark, no clue about Crysis 3 as i don't have it (Crysis died to me with Crysis Warhead, i don't like the change from tropical to City environment) but on GPU reviews there's always Crysis 3, or on most reviews, so i assume it has.

14. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    I think this maybe an issue with this game to be honest. I can play literally any other game for as long as I want and my PC is fine, no crashing, nothing, but half hour or so of JC2 and I get crashes to the desktop.

It could be my CPU overclock I guess, but I would expect it to show up somewhere else too. GPU is at stock.

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    Could be cuda (for water), this can be very picky too if OC isn't stable.

16. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Very good point. I've always run the bench at max settings, with Cuda water 'on'.

17. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    But my gfx card is at stock?

It doesn't BSOD or anything, it literally just drops back to desktop and the computer just acts like nothings happened, no errors, nothing.

Tis a bit weird lol

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  18. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    That sounds like a temperature issue or unstable overclock.

19. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Yeah I've found the same with multiple games.

Tera Online = UE3 engine - not so good with high OC's.
    ArcheAge - 5 mins brown-screen clocks revert.
    Dragon Age: Inquisition - Is okay until I go above 1500mhz then brown-screens and reverts to stock clocks.

BF4 = flawless at 1516/8000

Go figure.

20. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    I can rule out temperature, as it very rarely gets above 60 (both CPU and GPU) but I am overclocking the CPU tho so that is possible. Although as I say I have no issues elsewhere.

EDIT: Actually, I think you may have a point, I had a 124 BSOD (hal.dll) last week but none before or since on these settings so didn't really think much of it. This seems to be after I raised the uncore to 4.2Ghz.

Might lower it back down to 3.6Ghz and see later.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014