7xxx series artifacts/flickering poll

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by d.B., Oct 9, 2012.

?

How have you resolved the flickering issues?

1. Switching my card to another system resolved the problems.

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  2. Replacing the card (with a card of the same model) resolved the problems.

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  3. A change in software configuration solved all of the problems.

20 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. I have tried all of the above methods, and none have worked.

34 vote(s)
    37.8%
  5. No flickering

34 vote(s)
    37.8%
  1. d.B.

d.B. Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    I'd like to collect some data from owners of 7xxx cards experiencing artifacts/flickering.

If faulty hardware is at play it could be either the system hosting the video card or the video card itself. In the poll I will be trying to determine if people have successfully resolved the issue by either switching the card to a new system, or replacing the card.

EDIT: For those who fixed all of their problems via a change in configuration, I would appreciate it if you could post how you managed to do this.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  2. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    maybe you should discribe the Problem again. Otherwise the thread will be full of people who have some artifacts which have nothing to do with THE flickering.

3. slice313

slice313 Member

GPU:
    hd 7850
    Windows 8 solved the problem for me, no BSOD, no artifacts...

4. Ukkooh

Ukkooh Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Vapor-X
    If the card I get back from RMA flickers I guess it is time to upgrade to win 8.

5. slice313

slice313 Member

GPU:
    hd 7850
    I believe the problems are driver related, after 12.4 all was problem and problems for me, even reinstating win7 didn't work. Just with Win 8 and lastest drivers I can definitely say "it is working again"

I hope AMD put their **** together because this driver madness cant go like this for any longer...

6. d.B.

d.B. Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Since I'm part of DreamSpark, I can actually use Windows 8 as a permanent setup. I will try this later today or tomorrow and report my results.

7. slice313

slice313 Member

GPU:
    hd 7850
    I am using Windows 8 x64 PRO RTM with 180 days trial "trick"

Waiting your confirmation :banana:

8. alexrose1uk

alexrose1uk Guest

GPU:
    3080 10GB
    Would also be interested if more people ARE seeing improvements in Win8, then what drivers are they using (ie betas, if so which, WHQL? etc)

9. shankly1985

shankly1985 Guest

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64
    This the flickering when on Desktop?

10. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    No, only in 3d (games) and not always. I personally believe that my card has faulty memory.

[​IMG]

Here's how it can look in Skyrim:
    http://youtu.be/Zyx4jVnzVN8
    Usually the errors are different though, quick bugs here and there.

None of this occurred with a hd3870.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012

11. slice313

slice313 Member

GPU:
    hd 7850
    I thought that program was proved buggy time ago for testing newer memory chips

12. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Well I don't know. Is there some other program which can demonstrate the errors?

13. Scyphe

Scyphe Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060
    Indeed it is. It simply doesn't work right on modern AMD cards. There are sources with the bugs fixed but you'd have to compile it yourself with whatever environment the developers use (some university). No idea why they're not providing a binary.

OCCT GPU-test with error-checking enabled is the recommended way to test your cards GPU/RAM.

http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?News

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  14. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    FFS can we just throw this stupid tool away? It hasn't been updated for 2 years and there are dozens of posts in the internet what proof that it's just a issue of that stupid tool.

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    My system si way in stable OC, OCCT and all other stability tests thinks it's ok. But I still get "flicker" bug some times. I personally think it has something to do with incorrect calculation of visible/invisible surface for rendering (GTA4). And sometimes when viewport is too close to another surface (Walking in caves in Guild Wars 2). I tried a lot of things starting by "clean" driver install ending with registry experiments.

None helped or increased/decreased rate of "Flickering". I wonder if it is driver bug with incorrect rounding or HW calculation which may in some cases end with voltage returning uncertain value. (Similar to one in Bulldozer integer divider).

Flickering Games: Guild Wars 2
    OK Games: AvP 2010

Maybe we should expand this to BIOS information as some may be free of this bug.
    Mine1: 015.021.000.003.001364 (113-C3862000-X01) = GHz Edition BIOS => Flickers
    Mine2: 015.012.000.004.000346 (113-C3860100-100) = Original => Flickers

Does not seem to be clock related. Tried Forced Core:500/Memory:800(3200)MHz in idle+3D so no power state changes for card and still same flicker at same rare rate.

@Kaleid I saw that Skyrim water video, it's not flickering. Those are 2 different surfaces with exactly same coordinates and as viewport moves one is getting in front of other. It does not cause render to ignore surface at all. Try to get rid of incompatible mods.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012

16. alexrose1uk

alexrose1uk Guest

GPU:
    3080 10GB
    Sure, mine old ones were VTX X-Editions, first was definately faulty, the last one...well it wasn't 100%
    My current one is a Vapor-X OC from Sapphire.

BIOS revision is:
    015.023.000.001.000000(113-210P2HY-V02).

From reviews I know there is also a V04 out there, I don't know if the V04 is a better bios or simply for say another RAM revision etc though.

I have another couple of days before I have to treat a return of this card as an RMA so I am debating whether to return it and get the less problematic 660/660TI or spend a bit more on a 670, or keep the existing card.
    Frustrating though when we dont know if these issues are driver/OS related...or whether its actual hardware...and do I want to take the risk as I'll probably keep my card for a couple of years.

I'm pretty open minded on GPUs, so I don't really care whether I run AMD/Nvidia, I've seen critical driver bugs with both so I certainly know neither are perfect!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  17. typeAlpha

typeAlpha Guest

GPU:
    ATi 7850 2GB
    Never had any artifacts/flickering - Win7, using cat 12.8 and earlier versions. :s

18. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    NitroRX6800
    can you add, i got no flickering on above poll ?

so that we could know how many didn't have this issue.

19. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Done :thumbup:

20. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    NitroRX6800
    thx :)