which digital camera is better?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by fx5900, May 12, 2004.

1. fx5900

fx5900 Guest

2. xafier

xafier Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 290
    hmm if your going for a digital camera i REALLY reccomend getting one with optical zoom and not just digital!

the one http://www.newgenpc.com/description.asp?iid=1553 i got from the first link, slightly less quality pic, although still REALLY good... but has optical zoom, which is MUCH better than digital...

[edit]

also with the latest cameras the 16mb they come with isn't enough... try and pick up a 128mb card for cheap if you can, especially if they use normal smartmedia and not smartmedia SD... cus SD are a LOT more expensive!

which is another thing to look for, is what type of memory they take, SD is more expensive than normal smartmedia!

remember, optical zoom is far superior to digital hence the price difference!

Last edited: May 12, 2004
  3. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    Megapixels don't matter as much as you think.
    A good lense and sensor make a huge difference. A high end 3MP SLR will take better prictures than a cheap 6MP.
    Under $200, look at teh canon a60 and a70, very good quality cameras

4. mantra_sone

mantra_sone Cambodian

GPU:
    The virtue that possession
    Yes, the Canon A70 is a great buy, this man knows his picks. Anyways, if you can shove out a little bit more dough, shoot for the Canon A80, it has nice flip screen.

http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/a70-60/index.html

Here's an album showing off the camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/?gallery=canona70_samples/

I see very little graininess.

The A70 also has a max resolution of 2,048 x 1,536 if that matters to you at all. I could research more on good entry level camera's, but I'm no enthusiast, but a lot of people seem to love this camera.

I found one at NewEgg for $235, but I'm sure you can find some secondhand deals.

Last edited: May 13, 2004

5. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Ive got an A70, had it about a year now and im soooo happy with it. One of the best things i ever bought. The pic quality is really good, and it has ALOT of functions and programability.
    My Girlfriend got the A80 for xmas, and im really impressed with that too. Its 4.0mp rather than 3.2, so the pic quality is slightly better, but the swivelling screen ROCKS. However it is a bit bulkier and heavier than my A70.

6. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    I actually own the a60, a great camera, while it doesn't ahve the photo size that more megapixel cameras have, it is has a very accurate and sharp picture. We also have an canon s45, which is another great one. canon makes some of the best digicams on the market.
    One way to tell is how good a camera is is how it handles hair
    So here's a picture of my cat with teh a60 (huge image warning)
    http://www.macalester.edu/weekly/nm/IMG_0150.JPG

7. Marc_ellis

Marc_ellis Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 6800 GT GS @ 410 1152
    Anyone thought about the Fuju Finepix S5000? I’ve had this cam for about 2 months now, so far I've been very impressed with it. It takes very sharp pictures and has a 10x optical zoom and 2,2 digital so its great for taking pictures of far off objects. It cost me £240 from Scan.co.uk

8. mantra_sone

mantra_sone Cambodian

GPU:
    The virtue that possession
    Fuji Finepix series and the Nikon Coolpix series are nice also.

9. top_gun36

top_gun36 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9800 Pro|MR9600 Pro Turbo
  10. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    yes
    I have an s45 which is teh 4 MP version of the s50
    A great camera

11. SorienOR

SorienOR Guest

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    www.steves-digicams.com

Go there and read about the camera before you buy. SUPER good site.

I spent weeks researching what camera to buy in my price range. It came down to the Coolpix 2100 or the Cannon A60. I got the coolpix because it was the first one to have a good deal after I got my tax refund.

The Coolpix is a physically very small camera. It's sometimes hard for me to operate. The cannon is much more comfortable.

12. fx5900

fx5900 Guest

i have an SLR 120mm lens 2000 canon rebel and i was thinking about using that, but i hate developing pictures. The SLR camera is a lot better than a digital camera, but harder to use. I hate playing with the aperture setting/shutter speed, ambient light and all those other 25+ functions.

I like to see the pictures right after i take them.. so a digital camera is on my mind...

13. fx5900

fx5900 Guest

thanks guys....i'm gonna go try to find those cameras. I have about 1 month to get one before the wedding. I'm gonna be the picture guy. I guess photoshop will sure come in handy. :D

14. fx5900

fx5900 Guest

15. I have the Canon EOS300D, Digital SLR.....

A lot of cash, but great pics....I prefer canon over other manufacturers, but that's me.....

Dan